are you still really happy with your s5?

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
I can change the volume on mine without unlocking the screen. Battery is an all day battery. After 17 hours of use I am still around 40-50%. That's several hours of screen time, multiple bluettoth music, emails, games etc. Under minimal use, you shouldn't even have to charge every day. My fingerprint scanner works fine. Almost all phone speakers suck, I bluetooth to a JBL flip.

Fastfwd

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
I guess I’m about a month into owning mine and I’m still very pleased. I’m really not a huge phone aficionado. I’ve enjoyed picking up on Android with this phone. I did a fair amount of research before deciding on the S5. It was tough to not go with an IPhone 5s for sentimental reasons mostly.

I can see how people might be overwhelmed by all of the settings and tricks it can do. Do love the display. I could actually see myself watching a movie on this thing if the occasion arose and I’ve got several loaded up on the external memory card to do just that if the occasion presents itself. I was worried about the size, but the IPhone feels tiny now and this feels *right.*

It’s still got tricks that I haven’t even tried yet. I guess the new is pretty far from worn off for me.

dkp23

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I can change the volume on mine without unlocking the screen. Battery is an all day battery. After 17 hours of use I am still around 40-50%. That's several hours of screen time, multiple bluettoth music, emails, games etc. Under minimal use, you shouldn't even have to charge every day. My fingerprint scanner works fine. Almost all phone speakers suck, I bluetooth to a JBL flip.

If i need to silence my phone, how do i do that without having to enter a pin?

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
but you can't do that without entering a pin, correct? that is the point.

Walk into a store and play with a Flex. Get out of these folks hair. If you hate the basic UI philosophy then all you can do is either flash a custom build (eventually), or get an LG or htc phone with totally different interface. Thanks for playing.

Again seriously leave these guys alone okay?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
but you can't do that without entering a pin, correct? that is the point.

On any phone I've had you've been able to raise and lower the volume of the music regardless of the lock by using the volume rockers.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

fleckrj

May 12, 2014
Visit site
I came from a Razr two weeks ago, and there is no comparison. The Razr battery would not last 16 hours, and I only have to charge the s5 every-other-day, and some times I can go three days between charges. The display on the s5 is much sharper (not to mention slightly larger) than the Razr. The s5 does a much better job of finding a WiFi signal than the Razr. The biggest improvement, though, is in response time. The s5 is much faster than the Razr.

I do miss the favorite contacts widget that was on the Razr, but that is the only thing I liked better about the Razr. There might be something similar for the s5, but I have not found it yet.

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
This is my first Android, been with iPhone for the last 5 years and before that I was with the Treo running Windows. I've had the S5 for about a month now and SOOOO glad I finally got away from Apple, I love the amount of customization you can do with this phone. I had one hiccup when I first got it with UHD video but I did a factory reset and that took care of it. Battery life is awesome compared to my iPhone 5 which I would barely get through a day just doing email, checking Facebook a few times, twitter, little web surfing some texting and that's about it. Love the size of the screen, I was worried that the phone would be too big but I got used to it within the first few days and now the iPhone looks so small. I know the rumors about Apple releasing a 4.7" and possibly 5.5" iPhone this Fall BUT they will still lock that sucker down like crazy allowing you limited customization.

dkp23

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Yes, when music is playing i can turn up and down, when music is playing.

If it isn't playing, if i need to silence, or i want to turn off my notification sounds, phone sounds, system sounds, i have to unlock the phone to do that, correct?

Ill apply to a real life situation, i am in a meeting and i want to silence my phone completely, i would have to turn on my phone, unlock the phone by putting in the pin, click voluem rocker then dragging the volume meter down all the way, is that correct?

As opposed to the iphone with the silience switch on the side which doesnt require really anything to do other than switching it. As opposed to windows phone by turning on the phone with double tap or power button, hitting the volume rocker and pressing silence icon.

Android, turn on, enter code, click rocker and turn down the volume, no way to do this without using a pin. That is what i am trying to get at, so that isn't possible, correct?

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
I suppose not. So I guess this is the one way an iphone is better. Still glad there's 16,000 other things the android beats the iphone at.

3rdpig

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
I had it the day after the official launch and I'm as happy with it now as I was on day 1. Maybe even more as I'm getting a handle on which of the plethora of built in features I want to use and am learning to use better, and those that I'm never going to touch. It's a heck of a nice piece of hardware with very usable software and I'm loving it. Nothing new that comes out can take that away from me.

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
To clarify I think that person wanted an option to silence the ringer on the lock screen. Lots of older Android phones had it but seems like only a couple do now.

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Yes, when music is playing i can turn up and down, when music is playing.

If it isn't playing, if i need to silence, or i want to turn off my notification sounds, phone sounds, system sounds, i have to unlock the phone to do that, correct?

Ill apply to a real life situation, i am in a meeting and i want to silence my phone completely, i would have to turn on my phone, unlock the phone by putting in the pin, click voluem rocker then dragging the volume meter down all the way, is that correct?

As opposed to the iphone with the silience switch on the side which doesnt require really anything to do other than switching it. As opposed to windows phone by turning on the phone with double tap or power button, hitting the volume rocker and pressing silence icon.

Android, turn on, enter code, click rocker and turn down the volume, no way to do this without using a pin. That is what i am trying to get at, so that isn't possible, correct?

On my Flex, laying on its back on the table: bip-bip-bip knock code, pull or softkey for dropdown, tap left end of volume. Knock code directly unlocks. Or on 4.2.2 you could get silenced with a doubletap and two more taps. Sound profiles are also preloaded and there is even a mode that auto blocks calls and such. You can use custom contact colors and the front/back notification LEDs will then be enough to tell you if the attempted contact was potentially important. Works well with visual voicemail for quietly checking if there's a disaster ongoing.

RionDunn

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
I came from an iPhone to the Nexus 5 and soon after I got the S5. Honestly, I am in love with the S5. Everything about this phone is incredible. I loved the Nexus 5 but there were some serious flaws with the phone, I understand why Google sells them for so cheap. Anyways, this premium device is amazing, so impressed with its battery life, I literally have everything running that Samsung offers on the handset and the battery still lasts forever. Way longer than the nexus 5. All the features that touch wiz offers (which I thought I would hate) I actually use everyday. Definitely an amazing phone, a must have!

Sent from my S5 via AC Forum App

pp98

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Galaxy S5: NO NO NO.....I have had it for 6days and I do not like it. While talking on the phone you can not receive notification sounds/vibrations of text or email. Also when you dial a number and you need press prompts it take a minute to get back to the dial pad. This phone can turn on the TV, but it does not have basic features that their competitors do...it will be returned!