are you still really happy with your s5?

atishc

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Just as an FYI, the way you do this is by holding the power button for a couple seconds, and then you change Sound to Vibrate or Mute in the screen that pops up. You don't have to unlock the phone to silence, but it is an additional step compared to just having a switch.

Yes, when music is playing i can turn up and down, when music is playing.

If it isn't playing, if i need to silence, or i want to turn off my notification sounds, phone sounds, system sounds, i have to unlock the phone to do that, correct?

Ill apply to a real life situation, i am in a meeting and i want to silence my phone completely, i would have to turn on my phone, unlock the phone by putting in the pin, click voluem rocker then dragging the volume meter down all the way, is that correct?

As opposed to the iphone with the silience switch on the side which doesnt require really anything to do other than switching it. As opposed to windows phone by turning on the phone with double tap or power button, hitting the volume rocker and pressing silence icon.

Android, turn on, enter code, click rocker and turn down the volume, no way to do this without using a pin. That is what i am trying to get at, so that isn't possible, correct?

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
I love the phone.

My ONLY complaint is that I can't get Notifications or Widgets on the Lockscreen without having to swipe down the Notification Panel.

I hope Samsung adds an update to make the Lockscreen customizable with Notifications and Widgets. Seems like a really strange feature to omit.

I have my phone at my desk all day long - seems silly to have to unlock it every time I want to see an update or a specific widget.
It's called a LOCKSCREEN for a reason.

esoterickayos

May 14, 2014
Visit site
I've had mine since the week it released. I love it. I've only really had issues with receiving some picture texts, but going to look through forums here for help (newbie to forums). I came from iPhone 5S.

Posted via Android Central App

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
It's called a LOCKSCREEN for a reason.

That is true but you should still be able to put a widget on there like upcoming calendar events, weather widget showing 5 day forecast, missed calls and so on. I had this on my jailbroken iPhone and it was nice to just hit the power button and get a quick look at my appointments for the day without having to unlock the phone and launch the calendar app. This is a pretty simple feature and was surprised that it's not an option. Someone mentioned C Locker Pro the other day and I'll have to check that out to see if it will do what I want.

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
That is true but you should still be able to put a widget on there like upcoming calendar events, weather widget showing 5 day forecast, missed calls and so on. I had this on my jailbroken iPhone and it was nice to just hit the power button and get a quick look at my appointments for the day without having to unlock the phone and launch the calendar app. This is a pretty simple feature and was surprised that it's not an option. Someone mentioned C Locker Pro the other day and I'll have to check that out to see if it will do what I want.

Unlike the iphone though, you can customize your android any way you want, so yes, you may need to take the 5 seconds or whatever it takes to download an app that will do what you want.

Cruzzer08

May 8, 2014
Visit site

As an ex-jailbreaker myself I'm extremely surprised that you haven't found an app on the Play Store to do these things for you yet. Every possible option is out there and the play store structure and searching so much easier than trying to find a specific function in Cydia without knowing the exact app name.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site

Yes, it was me who mentioned C Locker, go and use it, you will love it, best $2.49 I've paid in my life, but obviously try it first with the Free Version and see if it works as expected for you.

Uncoolsby

May 14, 2014
Visit site
It'll be 2 weeks on Saturday since I got it and I love it so far! Very nice phone, and I recently switched the screen mode to Cinema--I love the color accuracy and it's much easier on my eyes than the Adapt Display mode. The color saturation was giving me headaches.

Battery life is awesome. Very happy with phone call quality and signal.

I wish the power button and volume weren't at the same level on the bezel, though. I habitually accidentally turn off the screen when I'm trying to adjust the volume one-handed. Very few complaints with the phone, then few I do have are minor.

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
As an ex-jailbreaker myself I'm extremely surprised that you haven't found an app on the Play Store to do these things for you yet. Every possible option is out there and the play store structure and searching so much easier than trying to find a specific function in Cydia without knowing the exact app name.

I understand there are apps, I was just surprised that it wasn't part of the OS to begin with seeings how the phone is so customizable and I thought I read somewhere it was available in previous years with the stock OS.

Uncoolsby

May 14, 2014
Visit site
I understand there are apps, I was just surprised that it wasn't part of the OS to begin with seeings how the phone is so customizable and I thought I read somewhere it was available in previous years with the stock OS.

As far as I know we can't even use DashClock on the S5. :/ Any idea of alternatives that can be used on the S5 for sure?

Cruzzer08

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I've had my S5 for 2 weeks now, it's my return to android after about 4 years of highly jailbroken iphones. I made the switch as soon as work decided to allow phones but no jailbroken or rooted devices. (High security)

WOW did Samsung and Google really step it up while i was gone!! I wasn't blown away with the S5 interface out of the box, and its taken some time to get it right, Nova Launcher Prime and Evolve SMS saved the day... All the options are out there to make it my own and I'm having fun finding them. I feel that Ergo and Design could use some help but its possible that its just going to take some time to adapt from the iphone.

PROS:
Battery life is better than my Iphone 5
Screen size and resolution are great
Water Resistant!!
Camera is better than my stand alone Olympus
Expandable memory and super fast clock speeds.
Play Store is intuitive and the selection is wider than Apple app store and Cydia combined.

CONS:
Charger Door is a PITA but worth the water resistance (still waiting for samsung to release the wireless charging back)
I hate the volume warning when I'm using headphones (the "smart volume" fixed onboard music, but not pandora)
Had to disable Google Search in order to access S-voice with in-line headphone button from locked phone, now I have no talk to type from the keyboard... Still looking for a fix.. Anyone?
Ergo and Design:
Worried about my camera lens becoming damaged from protruding out, can't get a case cuz I'm waiting on the charge back
Protruding camera also makes the phone unstable when I'm using it on my desk
Lock button is right across from volume button, makes it hard to hit one and not the other, should be on the top
Headphone jack really should be on the bottom, headphone wire goes under my shirt so I need the slack when using the phone, not to mention that everyone put the phone in there pocket upside down.

All in All still the best smartphone I've ever had.. and the list is long

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
I've had my S5 for 2 weeks now, it's my return to android after about 4 years of highly jailbroken iphones. I made the switch as soon as work decided to allow phones but no jailbroken or rooted devices. (High security)

WOW did Samsung and Google really step it up while i was gone!! I wasn't blown away with the S5 interface out of the box, and its taken some time to get it right, Nova Launcher Prime and Evolve SMS saved the day... All the options are out there to make it my own and I'm having fun finding them. I feel that Ergo and Design could use some help but its possible that its just going to take some time to adapt from the iphone.

PROS:
Battery life is better than my Iphone 5
Screen size and resolution are great
Water Resistant!!
Camera is better than my stand alone Olympus
Expandable memory and super fast clock speeds.
Play Store is intuitive and the selection is wider than Apple app store and Cydia combined.

CONS:
Charger Door is a PITA but worth the water resistance (still waiting for samsung to release the wireless charging back)
I hate the volume warning when I'm using headphones (the "smart volume" fixed onboard music, but not pandora)
Had to disable Google Search in order to access S-voice with in-line headphone button from locked phone, now I have no talk to type from the keyboard... Still looking for a fix.. Anyone?
Ergo and Design:
Worried about my camera lens becoming damaged from protruding out, can't get a case cuz I'm waiting on the charge back
Protruding camera also makes the phone unstable when I'm using it on my desk
Lock button is right across from volume button, makes it hard to hit one and not the other, should be on the top
Headphone jack really should be on the bottom, headphone wire goes under my shirt so I need the slack when using the phone, not to mention that everyone put the phone in there pocket upside down.

All in All still the best smartphone I've ever had.. and the list is long

The charge back is exactly the same dimensions, so yes, you can get a case for your phone and it will fit over the charge back.

Cruzzer08

May 8, 2014
Visit site
The charge back is exactly the same dimensions, so yes, you can get a case for your phone and it will fit over the charge back.

I've read that too, not sure if I believe it though and wonder if these things are really even in production yet. So far all i know is the wireless charging flip case is thicker then the standard flip case, the S4 Charging back is considerably thicker, and the same dimension charging back didn't come out the same time as the phone

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
The charge cover may be the same look and feel, but it's definitely thicker. From what I saw in the pictures, it extends the back about the thickness of the camera hump. Which is actually great if you hate the camera hump. Not as good if you need a case.

Joseph Coope

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Firstly i take some time to use my S5 at those times i didn't happy but it's really happy moments for me to use it for a long time and now i'm lucky to use it

Rodzp

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I love mine my only wish was a 32 GB version, but I can make the 16 gb work. I was waiting to see the G3 from LG and to see if the S5 Prime was to ever come to life, but when Verizon dropped the price to 99.00 I could not resist. I had a Note 2 before that I liked just wanted something a little smaller and this phone fits the size I wanted perfectly.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20