S5 Camera and Auto Focus

dk3355

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I was doing some testing with a Cannon Powershot SD600 camera with a zoomed in image of a couple of posters I have with
with18pt font text arrange in vertical column about 10 ft away with medium to low light indoors. With flash the image with Cannon is very readable. I did the same with the S5 with AF & flash and image was much worse than Cannon.

Any ideas on something I am not setting up correctly ?

Thanks

Joe113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I was doing some testing with a Cannon Powershot SD600 camera with a zoomed in image of a couple of posters I have with
with18pt font text arrange in vertical column about 10 ft away with medium to low light indoors. With flash the image with Cannon is very readable. I did the same with the S5 with AF & flash and image was much worse than Cannon.

Any ideas on something I am not setting up correctly ?

Thanks

Are you seriously comparing an actual camera to a phone camera? C'mon people, you seriously hafta be more smarter than this.. SMH.

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
You're comparing a real camera that has DIGIC II Image Processor, iSAPS Technology, and ISO 800 and High ISO Auto settings to a phone camera? Really? Post the pics, I'm curious.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
yeah, this camera is sweet...for a PHONE. We aren't there yet. The quality of a phone with a camera isn't going to rival that of (most) dedicated cameras. I have a Canon Powershot series too (SX50HS...50X OPTICAL ZOOM). You won't be capturing this conversation, 25 feet away, with a phone. Having said that, this phone shines for that unexpected photo op when your camera isn't with you :)
Male & Female Finch.jpg

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
yeah, this camera is sweet...for a PHONE. We aren't there yet. The quality of a phone with a camera isn't going to rival that of (most) dedicated cameras. I have a Canon Powershot series too (SX50HS...50X OPTICAL ZOOM). You won't be capturing this conversation, 25 feet away, with a phone. Having said that, this phone shines for that unexpected photo op when your camera isn't with you :)
View attachment 118385

OMG this pic is beautiful. This was taken with your Canon?

- - - Updated - - -

I showed my friend who is a professional photographer pics from this phone and he said they were awesome.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes Jon, it was taken with my Canon SX50 at close to (don't remember exactly) full 50X optical zoom. Looks like the site compresses/resizes pictures a bit but I expected that. It's what's called a "bridge camera". Not a full dSLR but way more than your p&s cameras and no 30lb bag of lenses to carry around!

Fabian Blandford

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
I also have the Canon SX50HS and was happy with it but now think the focus isn't as good as before.
I have the Galaxy Note 3 but the version without 4K video.
I just got the S5 for its 4K video and waterproofing ... but I find the note 3 gives sharper results. I am beginning to wonder if my S5 is OK or has focusing problems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech