sudden battery drain after Galaxy S5 update

LisaLee660

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Hey,

The main thing I love about this phone is the battery life and now I've noticed that last couple of days, it's draining MUCH quicker than usual. I'm not using it any different if significantly more often than since I've got the phone. I kept ignoring the update notice and I guess it went ahead and did it on it's own a couple of days ago, cause those two news apps are in my app manager.
Anyway, I've been trying to think I'm imagining it but my daughter just called me and said she was on 100% this morning and even having been at work all day, she's now at 25.
I'm really upset. Anyone else notice this?
BTW, I'm on AT&T

Thanks,
Lisa

LisaLee660

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Re: sudden battery drain after update

Ok, I'm guessing that most of you here are thinking "why is she starting another thread with this subject?" Well it's because i've searched and searched and haven't found any answer that solves my problem after trying everything suggested. Just praying one person can help me. I switched from the iPhone 5-6 weeks ago because of battery issues and have been SO happy with this phone until the last two days ( I only had to charge my phone every two days!). I really want to move to a remote island where there are NO cell phones and I never have to worry about it again haha.
The two new apps installed with the update are YP and Lookout Security (and YES, I KNOW you all know this already, but it's new to ME). I've "turned off" both of them but I don't think it helped which is really aggravating since those apps are the only changes made to my phone. Also, why is my Android OS percentage up so high and is that what's affecting my battery? I'd really appreciate some help.
Anyone? Please?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-05-15-19-03-29.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-05-15-19-03-29.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 73
  • Screenshot_2014-05-15-19-03-37.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-05-15-19-03-37.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 72

PainFX

May 2, 2014
Visit site

Ok, I'm guessing that most of you here are thinking "why is she starting another thread with this subject?" Well it's because i've searched and searched and haven't found any answer that solves my problem after trying everything suggested. Just praying one person can help me. I switched from the iPhone 5-6 weeks ago because of battery issues and have been SO happy with this phone until the last two days ( I only had to charge my phone every two days!). I really want to move to a remote island where there are NO cell phones and I never have to worry about it again haha.
The two new apps installed with the update are YP and Lookout Security (and YES, I KNOW you all know this already, but it's new to ME). I've "turned off" both of them but I don't think it helped which is really aggravating since those apps are the only changes made to my phone. Also, why is my Android OS percentage up so high and is that what's affecting my battery? I'd really appreciate some help.
Anyone? Please?

Android OS 42%... find out what is causing that

nanorris88

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site

Definitely something with the Android OS. Way too high. Have you tried rebooting the phone after updating? It sounds silly, but that is usually enough to kill any runaway process that's causing the drainage.

Posted via Android Central App

nanorris88

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site

Perhaps an actual battery pull. If not that, and it continues over the next day, I'd look into a factory reset. Probably something went awry with the update. Could you click on Android OS and screen shot the list of processes?

nanorris88

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site

Oops, you know what, they probably won't show. Just saw the screenshot above. My bad.

LisaLee660

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site

Definitely something with the Android OS. Way too high. Have you tried rebooting the phone after updating? It sounds silly, but that is usually enough to kill any runaway process that's causing the drainage.

I have. I've tried everything that I've read. It's still the same. Very frustrating, especially after being so happy for weeks after switching from the iPhone 5.
PS - my daughter, who just switched to the same phone (also from the iPhone 5) just last week, called me this afternoon in a panic saying she was at 100% this morning and after work (not even using the phone) was at 25%. It really cements my belief that it had something to do with that damn AT&T update. That's just NOT coincidence.
Of course I called AT&T earlier and they had NO clue.

LisaLee660

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site

it's definitely some kind of app is hogging the battery.

I've examined every questionable app and have stop or uninstalled each obvious unnecessary one, including of course the two new ones (YP & Lookout Security).
Thank you for your response.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site

I've examined every questionable app and have stop or uninstalled each obvious unnecessary one, including of course the two new ones (YP & Lookout Security).
Thank you for your response.

If you have a feeling about those 2, then just disabled them, none are needed. After that then pull the battery and reboot after.

LisaLee660

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site

WOW! So, I was about to give up and just decided to check the battery one last time...

I guess after restarting it just happened to take an hour or so to fix itself, but NOW it seems normal! I'll cross my fingers that in the morning (I've charged to 100%), I'll be back to normal with minimal overnight drainage! I'm definitely optimistic!

Thanks for all your help!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-05-15-20-11-10.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-05-15-20-11-10.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 44

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Re: sudden battery drain after update in addition

In addition to the above, if that doesn't help, then, sorry but you will need to factory reset your phone, sometimes during an update the cache and dalvik cache don't get cleared out and if you are not rooted your only option would be a reset.

One thing you can try before going the rest route is to enable your Developer option if you haven't done it already and then once in there just change the runtime system to ART, I don't know if that will fix it, and it may cause other little issues as some apps may not be compatible with ART, but doing that will clear a lot of things, then you can try going back to Dalvik if you feel so, closest thing to Factory reset without doing it.

If you want to enable the Developers options and don't know how, just go to settings, About device, then just hit the grayed out Build number info, ity that 6 or 7 times, it will let you know.

LisaLee660

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site

If you have a feeling about those 2, then just disabled them, none are needed. After that then pull the battery and reboot after.

Thank you, I had disabled them. Didn't think to pull the battery, but all seems ok right now! I'll let you guys know tomorrow if the battery drainage is back to normal!

LisaLee660

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Re: sudden battery drain after update in addition

In addition to the above, if that doesn't help, then, sorry but you will need to factory reset your phone, sometimes during an update the cache and dalvik cache don't get cleared out and if you are not rooted your only option would be a reset.

One thing you can try before going the rest route is to enable your Developer option if you haven't done it already and then once in there just change the runtime system to ART, I don't know if that will fix it, and it may cause other little issues as some apps may not be compatible with ART, but doing that will clear a lot of things, then you can try going back to Dalvik if you feel so, closest thing to Factory reset without doing it.

If you want to enable the Developers options and don't know how, just go to settings, About device, then just hit the grayed out Build number info, ity that 6 or 7 times, it will let you know.

Thanks again. I had read about the developer thing a couple of weeks ago and did that pretty much just for the hell of it since my battery life was already awesome. Everything was great until AT&T forced this update on me. Seems that I might be ok now. Thanks again for your responses!