Forgot Pin on Galaxy S5 and locked out?

brandonzak

May 16, 2014
Visit site
So I downloaded Foxfi, which required me to put a pin on the phone. I put one in, but apparently I put in a different pin than I intended.
So now I'm locked out of my phone which has a pin password. Is there any way to get by this without a factory reset?

I have tried intentionally getting the pin incorrect, but not forgot pin or opportunity arises to log in via Google, in which case I would have my phone back.

I have also tried using Android Device Manager, but it is requiring me to "Set Up Lock And Erase" before I do anything on that.

I have also tried hooking up the phone to my computer, but the internal storage won't mount until I get the passcode right and mount the device.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I did the same exact thing, and did a lot of searching trying to find a way out of that.

I realized right away that FoxFi asking for a pincode wasn't just for their app (which it should have been), but was for the phone itself. I didn't write the darn thing down.

I had to do a Factory Reset and start all over.

I highly recommend that you install Kies 3.0 on your PC and the phone. It can help us klutzes restore our phones to the OEM condition it was in Before we fowled it all up.... dumb me, didn't know this until after the fact....

See this post on Kies: http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s5/847194-micro-sd-problem.html#post6563448

This from a prior post I made...

But, I did get a message that if I do it 9 more times, the phone will be reset to Factory Defaults and all User Data will be lost.

So, worst case, I loose 4 weeks of fine tuning this thing to my liking....

Updates to follow...... count down 10 times.....

Erasing SD Card

Android figure showing "Erasing.......................................... ."

Main bootscreen coming up.........................
Verizon red screen, so ugly.....

waiting................... waiting...................
"Please wait while we prepaire your phone.............
choose language

Sim Card message, it still knows who I am

Verizon Cloud Setup..... chose what to backup, I only use "contacts"

had to setup Yahoo email again.....

skipped entering 'gmail account'.... don't want that cluttering up the mix just yet

Well, just discovered that I have not backed up my Contacts List in eons.... it is sooo old, I have lost a lot of fine tuning there.

but at least I have my phone back working.... but in the OEM default configuration.

not my first choice, but definitely better than going through the efforts of getting Samsung to unlock it by remote control...

Lesson learned...... do NOT ever assign a pincode unless you enjoy life being strapped to a pin pad. Same goes for a Password. I will never, ever do that again.

The swipe pattern is good enough.

brandonzak

May 16, 2014
Visit site
I did the same exact thing, and did a lot of searching trying to find a way out of that.

I realized right away that FoxFi asking for a pincode wasn't just for their app (which it should have been), but was for the phone itself. I didn't write the darn thing down.

I had to do a Factory Reset and start all over.

I highly recommend that you install Kies 3.0 on your PC and the phone. It can help us klutzes restore our phones to the OEM condition it was in Before we fowled it all up.... dumb me, didn't know this until after the fact....

See this post on Kies: http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s5/847194-micro-sd-problem.html#post6563448

Are you saying that after I factory reset it, I can still save the data from before the reset?
I haven't backed it up before, and Kies won't let me backup my phone until I unlock it.
I'm really worried about my contacts, as I've never synced them with a Google account. I've always saved contacts to the internal storage.
That's what I need the most.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Are you saying that after I factory reset it, I can still save the data from before the reset?
I haven't backed it up before, and Kies won't let me backup my phone until I unlock it.
I'm really worried about my contacts, as I've never synced them with a Google account. I've always saved contacts to the internal storage.
That's what I need the most.

If you have NOT backed up your contacts somewhere, I am thinking that you have lost them altogether.

Once you let the phone do a Factory Reboot it will erase everything. Nothing you have customized will be there when it reboots and starts up again. It will be in the very same OEM status it was when you took it out of the box the first time.

Kies 3.0 will, once you use it, enable you to restore the phone back to the same condition it was in "at the time you back it up with Kies.)

There is maybe one saving grace. Before you set that pincode, did you happen to register your phone with Samsung?

You can remote unlock your SGS5 from your Samsung Account in case you ever forget PIN or password

Find My Mobile | Samsung Content & Services

Read this thread where I got trapped and found this out "too late" because I did not register it before I locked it up.. I have registered it now though.

How to use other lock types with foxfi still - Page 2 - xda-developers

Joseph Coope

May 14, 2014
Visit site
i think you need to format your phone . Just go to the market and take help from a mobile shop where thery format phones. I think it cost only 10 dollar

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
No, he won't need to pay anyone.

If he keeps entering the wrong pincode, it will automatically do a reboot/erase for him. Mine did.

sirmaru

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Google Android Device Manager. You can then get into your phone with your Google password and reset it to a new fingerprint, password or PIN.

I believe, if you pick the proper option, none of your data will be lost. Its specifically designed to locate a lost phone, erase all the data or replace a forgotten password.

In addition, if you use ATT, all your contacts are saved to the ATT Address Book on the Internet and can be restored from there.

Mario Luzon

May 25, 2014
Visit site
I do the same problem I bought new samsung galaxy S5 when I create a pin lock code 0918 when I re open my galaxy S5 and when I enter the pin number it was appearing a wrong pin I attempts so many times as I remember my pin but nothing happen still appearing wrong pin i cant open my phone even to reset how can I re open my phone and remove my pin.please help me...

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
just keep entering wrong codes and it will reboot and erase everything and start all over. Fixed.

For me, it was password and after the 7th or 8th miss it rebooted.

I read that for pincodes it is something like 50 tries?

Eventually though it will reboot and erase all.

IBMJunkman

May 10, 2014
Visit site
A reset is a last ditch option. Just this week I had a messed up the PIN playing with FoxFi and could not get into the phone. Somewhere along the line with the new phone I had signed up to https://www.google.com/android/devicemanager

I logged into the site, answered the security question and used the option to remotely unlock the phone. Poof, the PIN requirement was gone and I was back to the swipe unlock.

From all these disaster scenarios being posted why am I the only one that used this? :)

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
A reset is a last ditch option. Just this week I had a messed up the PIN playing with FoxFi and could not get into the phone. Somewhere along the line with the new phone I had signed up to https://www.google.com/android/devicemanager

I logged into the site, answered the security question and used the option to remotely unlock the phone. Poof, the PIN requirement was gone and I was back to the swipe unlock.

From all these disaster scenarios being posted why am I the only one that used this? :)

Because you are the only one who was smart enough to register their phone BEFORE we bricked it. ;)

I just looked at mine again and it only offers to
  1. Lock the phone
  2. Erase the phone
  3. Ring the phone

I keep my DATA, and WIFI turned off unless I need them.

I realize that IF the phone gets lost, and the DATA is off, Google Device manager won't be able to find it for me. That is a risk I take for having extremely good battery life. My choice.

It has only used 6% battery since 0800 this morning, that is 12 hours ago.
Of course, being a Sunday, it isn't being used for anything except for me to check the menu trying to help someone out.

LA Hanes

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Man they should tell everyone to register their new phone with Google Device Manager. I thought I was screwed but that worked perfect.

Thanks for posting!

Because you are the only one who was smart enough to register their phone BEFORE we bricked it. ;)

I just looked at mine again and it only offers to
  1. Lock the phone
  2. Erase the phone
  3. Ring the phone

I keep my DATA, and WIFI turned off unless I need them.

I realize that IF the phone gets lost, and the DATA is off, Google Device manager won't be able to find it for me. That is a risk I take for having extremely good battery life. My choice.

It has only used 6% battery since 0800 this morning, that is 12 hours ago.
Of course, being a Sunday, it isn't being used for anything except for me to check the menu trying to help someone out.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I see that they are letting you enter a "brand new" password.

Then you can open the phone and go straight to Credentials and erase ALL OF THEM.

Then the phone will open w/o pincodes or passwords.

Thanks for that bit of info

kenarcia

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
OMG!! I'm so glad I found this post! I had been locked out since my pin was not recognized. Followed the steps in this and reset password. Whew!!! So glad I didn't lose hours of customizing with an unnecessary reset! Thank you!!

awriternot

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Ugh, I just posted a similar thread on the Asus Memo Pad forum. I set my son's Parental Lock & either I forgot it or it is not recognizing it. Popped in here to see what's new & saw this.. Lol

Ugh! I hope someone over there has an answer too!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teapotsax