Help Needed! Phones to get & Phones to avoid!

tess1977

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Hey All!

My parents are going to be switching back to Verizon from US Cellular tomorrow. Can any of you knowledgeable & helpful people tell me what they should look at and what they should avoid?

They have had Android phones for at least 2 years now. Much to my dismay, my Dad will probably be getting an iPhone. But my Mom & Sis will be going with an Android. I was suggesting the S5 but I'd love feedback!

Posted via Android Central App

puremeerkat

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Go with the S5, HTC One M7 or M8, LG G2, or even the S4. Those are all excellent devices. There's more but these are just off the top of my head.

prlundberg

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I think the S5 is the best Android phone overall on Verizon right now. That's why I got one of course. It does have shortcomings which may or may not be dealbreakers. For example, I was surprised I couldn't change the pastel color scheme and there is some lag here and there. But the camera is great and I love the soft-touch back and water resistance.

The MotoX is still a great phone too if the smaller size is right for them. But it's not as user-friendly as TouchWiz or Sense in my opinion because it doesn't do as much on its own out of the box and is less intuitive.

Really though, all the top end phones are good. The differences in performance are minor. They need to choose the interface and features they like best, that's all there is to it. And that's up to them really, all you can do is inform them.

prlundberg

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Just a quick rundown of what I found were the main points of each.

S5: Great camera, water resistance, expandable memory, removeable battery, fingerprint scanner. Some lag, cheesy chrome plastic trim.

MotoX: Active notifications, always-listening voice control, wrist-flick camera activation, almost pure Android with fast updates, wide range of hardware personalization options, runs great despite lower specs. A bit small, camera not very good indoors, no expandable storage. Droid Ultra and Maxx are essentially same phone with a larger screen and less customizations.

One M8: Fast camera, great sound from front-facing speakers, the best build quality. Camera quality is hit and miss and low resolution, no expandable storage, metal case is slippery.

LG G2: All around good phone, small body for the screen size, good camera. Not real familiar with this phone. Opinions vary on the back-mounted buttons.

tess1977

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Perfect! Thanks so much!

I've been doing some checking this morning as well and I'm going to stick with my original recommendation of the S5. The feedback from here definitely helps and I thank you all so very much!!

XOXO

Posted via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital