Do you think Samsung is in the wrong to have not told us the S5 only has one radio vs two?

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Was reading a sprint thread and the sprint moderator Said due to hardware restrictions on the S5 you can't talk and use the Internet at the same time and we never will be. I feel like they should have disclosed this.

Posted via Android Central App

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I never gave it a thought, and really don't care either way.

If I want the internet, I will use my desktop like I am now while I am talking to my trucker friend who will be driving until midnight.

I personally don't surf the internet from a phone, the screen is just too dinky, and the keyboards are a PITA to use..... I am a touch typist and run 120+ WPM clicking the ivories. I find cellphone keyboards painful, even SwiftKey.

JakePleasants

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
Must be a Sprint thing because I do it all the time on my Verizon S5. I've done it twice today. And before someone asks - yes, WiFi was off and it was browsing on the LTE connection.

Bacilon

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
It is a Sprint thing and their new "Spark" networks, it uses three different frequencies so the phone needed three different radios and voice and data come from only one antenna, S4s for instance could be connected to voice and data from two different antennas allowing you to surf while talking, and yes I agree Sprint should have made that information available, not to mention the problems they are having with the S5 scanning for "Spark" tri band networks and reverting to 3G since not all towers have been upgraded to full LTE on all bands (25,26 and 41), I had to manually disable two antennas to be able to use 4G, ridiculous.

JakePleasants

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
Please tell me yall are joking.

I'm about to give you the best advice you're ever going to get...

Switch carriers. I had Sprint for years about ten years ago and paid $1,250 in early termination fees and it was the best money I've ever spent. They're the most rancid, despicable, repugnant, deplorable company in existence. There's not enough money to the world to get me to sign up with them again. It's like they set out to achieve consumer displeasure and succeed every time.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
no its not a joke. I just posted about this on another thread yesterday. I can surf and talk at the same time on my verizon phone.

1Coopgt

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
I'm about to give you the best advice you're ever going to get...

Switch carriers. I had Sprint for years about ten years ago and paid $1,250 in early termination fees and it was the best money I've ever spent. They're the most rancid, despicable, repugnant, deplorable company in existence. There's not enough money to the world to get me to sign up with them again. It's like they set out to achieve consumer displeasure and succeed every time.

Please tell us how you really feel about Sprint . ROFL !!!!!!!!!!!!

Bacilon

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
It's really not a "can't surf and talk at the same time" issue with Sprint, as that issue itself it's a hardware limitation inherent to its new triband network, the issue is about rolling out a new network on "selected cities" when their 4G network countrywide it's not fully deployed yet, and now they are releasing new phones like the S5 that only work fully in a handful of cities, they should never have started with "Spark" until the entire nationwide 4G network was fully deployed, when "Spark" is fully operational all across the country it will be top notch (in theory anyway) , but it won't happen before my two year contract with my S5 is up, sucks.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
It is a Sprint thing and their new "Spark" networks, it uses three different frequencies so the phone needed three different radios and voice and data come from only one antenna, S4s for instance could be connected to voice and data from two different antennas allowing you to surf while talking, and yes I agree Sprint should have made that information available, not to mention the problems they are having with the S5 scanning for "Spark" tri band networks and reverting to 3G since not all towers have been upgraded to full LTE on all bands (25,26 and 41), I had to manually disable two antennas to be able to use 4G, ridiculous.

The reason why it can't do simultaneous voice and data is because Sprint chose to implement only one cellular pathway. With the same antennas, if they created another pathway then they can offer simultaneous voice and data on band 41 . or they can split antenna 1 into two separate antennas and use a second pathway dedicated to voice.

aqybu4y5.jpg

ny7aze8y.jpg

udu8u8er.jpg

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

schwanz583

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
It's only an issue with sprint. There network requires multiple radios were att Verizon and t mobile do not... Sprint should have said something instead of selling the phone and hoping the consumer doesn't notice that it doesn't work..

PolarBear8

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I had Sprint for years about ten years ago and paid $1,250 in early termination fees and it was the best money I've ever spent. They're the most rancid, despicable, repugnant, deplorable company in existence. There's not enough money to the world to get me to sign up with them again. It's like they set out to achieve consumer displeasure and succeed every time.

and then there is AT&T vying for that spot daily

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
So for right now I need to be on WIFI to be able to talk and use the internet...wow....and yet the S3 I had could do it off wifi on 3g or 4g ....

Will Spark resolve this? It's only a big issue because I feel like Sprint should have said something...I mean they promoted the S3 for being able to talk and use the internet.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
The reason why it can't do simultaneous voice and data is because Sprint chose to implement only one cellular pathway. With the same antennas, if they created another pathway then they can offer simultaneous voice and data on band 41 . or they can split antenna 1 into two separate antennas and use a second pathway dedicated to voice.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/22/aqybu4y5.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/22/ny7aze8y.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/22/udu8u8er.jpg

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Exactly this :).

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.