Do you think Samsung is in the wrong to have not told us the S5 only has one radio vs two?

CaptainBrowncoat

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
An incoming call will suspend data flow, allowing you to receive the call, and at the end of that call data flow will resume. In the specific case of GPS/navigation, if your navigation app can locally store the map route information, the only thing you'll lose out on during the call will be 'active' information such as traffic rerouting should you miss a turn.

In which case you should pull over to finish the call before proceeding because you're not paying enough attention to drive safely anyway.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
In which case you should pull over to finish the call before proceeding because you're not paying enough attention to drive safely anyway.

The argument for/against talking on the phone (handsfree or not) while driving, while a worthwhile discussion, isn't really relevant to this discussion. Currently it is legal to do so in many areas, so the discussion as to feasibility isn't moot.

Chuck757

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I just completed a trip from Connecticut to Memphis. My S5 was paired to my car's blue tooth. When I received a call, the voice came through the car's system and navigation w/Google Maps continued just fine. In addition, we encountered a major incident on I81. Maps suggested an alternate route and said it would save 31 minutes travel time. I accepted the suggestion and by-passed a major delay. So far I'm very happy with Sprint, Maps and the S5.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using AC Forums mobile app

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Or I could have a phone that does data and voice so I can have my conversation while listening to the GPS tell me when a turn is coming up all while not even looking away.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Joe113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Ummmm no, I do that every day out in the field, I am in Dallas and I go to various warehouses etc, and I have to make multiple calls, and I am on LTE.

That would be a nightmare if true,

So lemme get this straight... you can be surfing let's say Twitter, and receive a call while doing so? (obviously once you get the call, data will be gone though) but the main point is, is that you are in a LTE area and can send a call out or receive one? Idk bout that bc I hard the opposite.

CanadianChiver

May 21, 2014
Visit site
I think that Sprint is full of it!! When you are in a call, put it on speaker, push home button, you should see you home page while the in-call is green on your notification bar, open Chrome and go for it!!!

Cheers and K.C.C.O.

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Hmm interesting....I've never had a problem with it so it must be a Sprint thing. If i was a Sprint user I would be annoyed because I'm a huge multi-tasker on my phone. I'll be on the phone while texting someone or looking something on the internet while I'm on the phone. So that would be a deal breaker for me as far as Sprint goes.

Believe me, if I was footing the bill, I'd switch carriers and leave sprint with the quickness.

Posted via Android Central App

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I think that Sprint is full of it!! When you are in a call, put it on speaker, push home button, you should see you home page while the in-call is green on your notification bar, open Chrome and go for it!!!

Cheers and K.C.C.O.

That will NOT work if like me, the Home Key is programmed to Answer or Disconnect a phone call.

Touch the Home Key and goodbye phone call....

I use the Recent Apps list and click on one of those to get elsewhere and still be talking on the phone.

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
I don't really notice any problems. Would rather have speed anyday. When I'm on the phone I have no desire to be texting someone else. That's what's wrong today people are so tied into technology that you never have a break. When I grew up there was no answering machine or caller id. People spent time with families and friends and didn't have all the constant distractions.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
This has been a problem with CDMA network since it came out. If your on 3G, you cannot use data and voice at the same time. With LTE, you CAN use voice and data. Voice on 3G network and data on LTE.

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX (tapatalk)

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't really notice any problems. Would rather have speed anyday. When I'm on the phone I have no desire to be texting someone else. That's what's wrong today people are so tied into technology that you never have a break. When I grew up there was no answering machine or caller id. People spent time with families and friends and didn't have all the constant distractions.

When you grew up is irrelevant. When I am with family I'm with family.. Other times I am on my phone. Depends if your family cares enough to stay off their phones.. It isn't technology's fault as others like to blame... It is still their actions... They choose to use it.. Not the other way around.

Also you can text while on a call. It goes through the same connection as your call. This is about Data on a call... And yes sometimes I like data while on a call. When using GPS... Or even for the conversation at hand... Mom calls and has a question if we are going to PF Changs but she doesn't have the number.. I Google it and text it to her while talking so when she hangs up she can setup a reservation.

So yeah.. Some do have a need. Just because you don't like it and see it as a distraction doesn't mean we all feel that way :).

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
This has been a problem with CDMA network since it came out. If your on 3G, you cannot use data and voice at the same time. With LTE, you CAN use voice and data. Voice on 3G network and data on LTE.

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX (tapatalk)

Depends on the device. My old Verizon Thunderbolt, rezound and s3 can do svdo (simultaneous voice and data over 3g) and svlte (simultaneous voice and data over 4GLTE). My note 2 and Note 3 can only do svlte. The Verizon iPhone 5s when on Verizon's network can't do simultaneous voice and data.

Also, voice on Verizon currently operates on the 1x network.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

tomothy94

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Just tried on my UK Vodafone device, it's a stock handset but using a Vodafone sim card. I can't google stuff while on the phone. But I rarely call people to be honest (I get unlimited minutes and use literally about 12-15 mins a month)

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Depends on the device. My old Verizon Thunderbolt, rezound and s3 can do svdo (simultaneous voice and data over 3g) and svlte (simultaneous voice and data over 4GLTE). My note 2 and Note 3 can only do svlte. The Verizon iPhone 5s when on Verizon's network can't do simultaneous voice and data.

Also, voice on Verizon currently operates on the 1x network.

Kit Kat 4.4.3 will bring with it the ability to use Sprint’s LTE network on bands 26 and 41. We think it’ll still be coming to this device early on but we don’t currently have a predicted release date.

Will this address the voice and internet issue with Sprint?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Kit Kat 4.4.3 will bring with it the ability to use Sprint?s LTE network on bands 26 and 41. We think it?ll still be coming to this device early on but we don?t currently have a predicted release date.

Will this address the voice and internet issue with Sprint?

No it doesn't. This is a hardware Issue as there is only one cellular path (see post 14). Adding more bands doesn't help.

The only way to add one would be a physical change. Now, if and when Sprint gets volte up and running then you should be able to do voice and data simultaneously over LTE.