Galaxy S5 photo quality

leehazzo

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Hi all.
I bought the S5 yesterday and overall I'm very pleased with it.
I am however disappointed with the quality of photos taken yesterday in cloudy conditions.
The pictures look very blurred and it struggled to focus either making the picture look too dark or not light enough.
I wondered if other members of this forum were experiencing the same issues.
I was thinking of taking the phone back and exchanging it for the M8.

Your thoughts please ☺

Lee

Posted via Android Central App

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I left my S5 camera in Auto Mode and I am not having problems that way.

I am aware that in very cloudy/dark conditions the ISO rating is purposely increased which makes it more necessary to hold the phone very still when taking a picture in those conditions.

No way is the M8 going to match the S5 camera performance.

tutor

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I got my S5 a couple days ago and although I'm not a person that takes many pictures, I did try out the camera... I also noticed it being blury and looking really close at the lens noticed it still had a plastic film over it. I had to return that device for an internal problem and after getting the second phone, noticed the new phone also had the thin film of clear plastic on. It's hard to notice the plastic film and I used a piece of tape to remove the film. Just though it might be something you may want to check out.
Tut

leehazzo

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Most of the photos I took were in auto mode and I must admit... The macro shots are excellent.
It was landscape shots I noticed the problem more.
Not sharp upon zooming in after the photo was taken.
I love this handset and I am reluctant to exchange it for another brand.

leehazzo

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I got my S5 a couple days ago and although I'm not a person that takes many pictures, I did try out the camera... I also noticed it being blury and looking really close at the lens noticed it still had a plastic film over it. I had to return that device for an internal problem and after getting the second phone, noticed the new phone also had the thin film of clear plastic on. It's hard to notice the plastic film and I used a piece of tape to remove the film. Just though it might be something you may want to check out.
Tut

Thanks...
I noticed the plastic film as well, removed it, thought it would have solved it but to no avail 😕

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Most of the photos I took were in auto mode and I must admit... The macro shots are excellent.
It was landscape shots I noticed the problem more.
Not sharp upon zooming in after the photo was taken.

Most cellphone cameras don't have variable focus lenses, so the pixels are fixed.

When you zoom in on an image, you are going to notice the defined pixel count as each pixel size is increased more the closer in you zoom.

I have a 10 year old Sony digital DSLR camera with a long telephoto lens.
With that camera, even though it is a "low pixel count" at 7 mB, the far off shots are all equal in quality and it can easily outperform the S5 if needing to Zoom In on something a half mile away. But that camera cost me over a $1,000 ten years ago.

S5: I have some landscape shots of pasture land with a forest surrounding it, and in the far background a half mile off, is a house with a car in the driveway. Viewed normally on a 24" desktop monitor, the house is not much more than half the size of a pencil eraser and the car is not noticeable at all. But viewed in a viewer that can zoom right down onto that car, it is easy to make out the brand and model of the car.... however, that car will have large pixels that are very evident.

Overall, the S5 camera is a great performer, especially for a fixed lens device. Samsung did a great job in providing software that could average out the defects and give us very sharp photos.

This S5 phone will be my mainstay for a very long time to come.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sem173