08-25-2014 01:43 PM
65 123
tools
    Yes, I went to My Files and my images take up 3.50GB. When I click on the green icon and open a picture, it asks if i want to open it with Gallery, Photo's or Quickpic. IF i select Gallery, it takes forever to open and then once it does open it, it crashes. If I open it with Quickpic, it open instantly and does not crash. Thanks for all the help sjaduae!
    Did you try moving some pics to a different or new folder ?

Just wondering if something is corrupted in the directory structure in gallery app
    05-28-2014 10:44 AM
    Yes, I went to My Files and my images take up 3.50GB. When I click on the green icon and open a picture, it asks if i want to open it with Gallery, Photo's or Quickpic. IF i select Gallery, it takes forever to open and then once it does open it, it crashes. If I open it with Quickpic, it open instantly and does not crash. Thanks for all the help sjaduae!
    I have 6.55GB's of content. Sounds like you have the same issue I had with the gallery app. Mine never crashed though. It just hung loading everything making it worthless for me. It just can't handle too much content. Stick with Quickpic and you'll be good to go! Now you should understand why many users prefer it over the gallery app.
    Dlrainer likes this.
    05-28-2014 10:54 AM
    Did you try moving some pics to a different or new folder ?

Just wondering if something is corrupted in the directory structure in gallery app
    yes, I made a new folder and moved a picture into it. it moved just fine, however it still crashed
    05-28-2014 10:55 AM
    I have 6.55GB's of content. Sounds like you have the same issue I had with the gallery app. Mine never crashed though. It just hung loading everything making it worthless for me. It just can't handle too much content. Stick with Quickpic and you'll be good to go! Now you should understand why many users prefer it over the gallery app.
    yeah quickpic is cool. I really like the stock gallery though. My boyfriend has 18.6GB of photo's on his S4 and he has no problem!! So I don't see how a measly 3.50GB could be doing anything. lol. he literally has thousands of pictures on his phone...maybe its an S5 thing?
    05-28-2014 10:57 AM
    yeah quickpic is cool. I really like the stock gallery though. My boyfriend has 18.6GB of photo's on his S4 and he has no problem!! So I don't see how a measly 3.50GB could be doing anything. lol. he literally has thousands of pictures on his phone...maybe its an S5 thing?
    I have an S3 and the gallery app has always stuttered/lagged/slowed down for me. I have pics and HD videos on my device internally and externally.
    05-28-2014 11:00 AM
    I just dumped over 8GB of pics on to my S5 in DCIM and the S5 handled it no problem

myfiles took a couple of seconds to do the file count 1st time and I could go to images immediately

I then went to gallery and it took maybe 10 seconds to count all the images but the screen was working immediately and just blinked whist it counted up, I then scrolled down and there is a slight delay as the blank icon squares populated, I finally scrolled down to the bottom very fast through 1000's of images of black boxes but soon as I reached the end the images appeared almost immediately

This was just on the first viewing subsequent times it was much faster

So I would say it's not the S5 in general just yours unfortunately

Sounds like time to back-up in Kies and do a factory reset IMO
    05-28-2014 05:39 PM
    Thanks for all the help! Gallery still isn't working, I've been using Quickpics with no problems though! Funny news to add though...a small piece of something inside my S5 fell and is blocking/obstructing my front facing camera, I can't take pics using it anymore. LOL figures. Called Verizon today and they are sending me a replacement phone. Figures! All that work and investigation and now I'm getting a new one! Hopefully the new phone they send me doesn't have any gallery issues...I'll let you know! Kinda sucks that when they send you a replacement, it isn't a new phone, but a "like new" or refurbished phone. I don't want a phone somebody else had already...but oh well. They were however nice enough to give me a credit for the tempered glass screen protector that I purchased (they rock!) since I paid $25 for one and I can't put it on my new S5.
    05-31-2014 06:17 PM
    Thanks for all the help! Gallery still isn't working, I've been using Quickpics with no problems though! Funny news to add though...a small piece of something inside my S5 fell and is blocking/obstructing my front facing camera, I can't take pics using it anymore. LOL figures. Called Verizon today and they are sending me a replacement phone. Figures! All that work and investigation and now I'm getting a new one! Hopefully the new phone they send me doesn't have any gallery issues...I'll let you know! Kinda sucks that when they send you a replacement, it isn't a new phone, but a "like new" or refurbished phone. I don't want a phone somebody else had already...but oh well. They were however nice enough to give me a credit for the tempered glass screen protector that I purchased (they rock!) since I paid $25 for one and I can't put it on my new S5.
    Backup your current phone with Kies 3.0

Then when you get your new phone, restore to it from Kies 3.0

It will be in the exact same state your previous phone was...
    05-31-2014 06:30 PM
    Backup your current phone with Kies 3.0

Then when you get your new phone, restore to it from Kies 3.0

It will be in the exact same state your previous phone was...
    Sweet, thanks! Others have mentioned that but I forgot. Never used it before. Sounds a lot better than having to re-download everything again haha. It asked me if I wanted to download contact pics in default setting (79x79) or Original size (up to 720 or something) which one am I suppose to pick? lol
    05-31-2014 06:41 PM
    Sweet, thanks! Others have mentioned that but I forgot. Never used it before. Sounds a lot better than having to re-download everything again haha. It asked me if I wanted to download contact pics in default setting (79x79) or Original size (up to 720 or something) which one am I suppose to pick? lol
    Use the larger one, also Kies may not restore passwords when you restore to a new phone and your icon layout may need doing again but all your data etc will be there including sms's if some apps do not restore its no biggie as they are on your google account

As you have nothing to loose now you could factory reset your old phone and restore just to see if gallery works whilst you wait for the replacement
    05-31-2014 07:36 PM
    Use the larger one, also Kies may not restore passwords when you restore to a new phone and your icon layout may need doing again but all your data etc will be there including sms's if some apps do not restore its no biggie as they are on your google account

As you have nothing to loose now you could factory reset your old phone and restore just to see if gallery works whilst you wait for the replacement
    Okay...I'm try to use Kies to restore my new phone, but it won't let me restore apps because it says it can only do that to the original device....lol. What the point of it then? I thought the point was if you ever lost or broke your phone you'd be able to get your new phone to be a mirror image of your old phone?
    06-02-2014 01:18 PM
    Okay...I'm try to use Kies to restore my new phone, but it won't let me restore apps because it says it can only do that to the original device....lol. What the point of it then? I thought the point was if you ever lost or broke your phone you'd be able to get your new phone to be a mirror image of your old phone?
    It's no biggie just log in to your google account and all your purchases so to speak are there go on WiFi and DL in mins so you haven't lost anything just a little configuration to do with icons

Besides it's a good opportunity to get rid of some

More important is your gallery back ?
    06-02-2014 01:32 PM
    It's no biggie just log in to your google account and all your purchases so to speak are there go on WiFi and DL in mins so you haven't lost anything just a little configuration to do with icons

Besides it's a good opportunity to get rid of some

More important is your gallery back ?
    Thanks for the info! Actually, the new phone they sent me, the screen is ****ed up...so I'm on the phone with them now to return it. Exactly why I didn't want a used phone...wtf....now this is really getting out of hand lol
    06-02-2014 01:55 PM
    Thanks for the info! Actually, the new phone they sent me, the screen is ****ed up...so I'm on the phone with them now to return it. Exactly why I didn't want a used phone...wtf....now this is really getting out of hand lol
    I'm surprised you cant walk in the store and get a replacement still keep on you will be happy in end
    06-02-2014 02:03 PM
    I'm surprised you cant walk in the store and get a replacement still keep on you will be happy in end
    haha - no I wish. I bought both my S3 and S4 outright so that I wouldn't lose my unlimited date, AND I pay monthly for insurance for all my phones and I've never used the insurance...yet they REFUSE to send me a "NEW" Phone. And you can't walk into Verizon and request one either. Just got off the phone with them and they are sending me ANOTHER replacement that will be here tomorrow, and they credited my account $25. Geez....

Anyways...to get back to what you were saying about Kies...so when I log into my google account, all my apps will be there? What an annoyance!
    06-02-2014 02:18 PM
    Shame your BF truck did not run over it lol but I bet there's a catch

Look at all that practice you will get putting it back how you like it, you will be surprised how quickly you can do it
    06-02-2014 02:35 PM
    Shame your BF truck did not run over it lol but I bet there's a catch

Look at all that practice you will get putting it back how you like it, you will be surprised how quickly you can do it
    Haha..well even if I ran it over or it got stolen, I'd still get a "like new" pre-owned S5. I'm just pissed that I waited home all day to get the phone and then it ends up being defective.

On a side note - So....with this Kies...whats the deal with that? Because it definietly didn't make a mirror image of my phone on the replacement phone I got. Is there any way to do that? I want to it to be so that I can literally just plug it in and download the restore to the new phone and pretty much go...anything like that?
    06-02-2014 05:11 PM
    Haha..well even if I ran it over or it got stolen, I'd still get a "like new" pre-owned S5. I'm just pissed that I waited home all day to get the phone and then it ends up being defective.

On a side note - So....with this Kies...whats the deal with that? Because it definietly didn't make a mirror image of my phone on the replacement phone I got. Is there any way to do that? I want to it to be so that I can literally just plug it in and download the restore to the new phone and pretty much go...anything like that?
    I can't help you with Keis but in order to have a complete backup, you'd have to be rooted and use something like Titanium. I'm not an expert with rooting but I know it's not doable on the S5 - yet.
    06-02-2014 05:14 PM
    I can't help you with Keis but in order to have a complete backup, you'd have to be rooted and use something like Titanium. I'm not an expert with rooting but I know it's not doable on the S5 - yet.
    Yeah...I don't want to root the phone. I guess I just got excited when people where talking about Kies because having to re-do my phone is going to be annoying. With the Kies it does put some things back on there, but other things I'll just have to do manually. Just annoying is all.
    06-02-2014 05:22 PM
    Are they gonna give u a new phone or a refurbish one?
    06-02-2014 05:39 PM
    Are they gonna give u a new phone or a refurbish one?
    They are giving me a "like new" phone - they claim they are phones in mint condition that have been returned within the 14 day return policy. Just funny because I mentioned to them yesterday how I really didn't want a used phone since I paid for a new phone, and that if it came and it was scratched or anything, I wouldn't want it. OF course it came, and the screen was all messed up. Best way to describe it is have you ever looked at a computer screen through a camera? The screen is moving around all weird? THAT'S what the replacement phone was doing...what a joke. I'd like to know who cleared that phone as "like new" condition.
    06-02-2014 05:44 PM
    Thats some BS then. That is consider a USED PHONE.
    06-02-2014 05:47 PM
    Thats some BS then. That is consider a USED PHONE.
    TELL ME ABOUT IT! That's what I said! But they'd loose mad money if they just gave everyone new phones all the time. I was kinda upset about it because I bought my S3 AND S4 outright ($700 each!!) to keep my unlimited data, PLUS I pay like $6.99 a month for insurance on the phone in case I break it, lose it, it gets stolen...whatever. So point being that I've spent good money with Verizon and i've never filed an isurance claim or anything. You'd think the one time I have an issue, they'd take care of me. lol. They did give me a $45 credit for the hassle and to replace the tempered glass screen protector that I purchased (that I can't transfer to my replacement phone) So that was ok...
    06-02-2014 05:53 PM
    If they are just gonna give u a used phone no point in buying insurance. Either find another store or switch carrier. Sorry
    06-02-2014 05:58 PM
    If they are just gonna give u a used phone no point in buying insurance. Either find another store or switch carrier. Sorry
    Well...if someone steals my phone, I would get another S5 for a $100 deductible. If I didn't have the insurance, I'd have to pay full price, unless I had an upgrade (which I just used to get my S5) So I like having the insurance for those purposes
    06-02-2014 06:00 PM
65 123