S5 Gallery lags and then crashes...wtf?

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Didn't work. Looks like a hard reset might be my only option. I think I'm just going to use QuickPic for now since that seems to be working fine. I'm hoping the issue will be fixed with an upcoming software update or something.

It won't as it's not a general issue or problem, it's affecting a very small percentage. Do a reset, hopefully that works, if not, you may want to exchange the phone.

sjaduae

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Didn't work. Looks like a hard reset might be my only option. I think I'm just going to use QuickPic for now since that seems to be working fine. I'm hoping the issue will be fixed with an upcoming software update or something.

Did Verizon supply any bloatware apps for photos or back-up, if so disable them and try before doing a reset

Did myfiles app also not work for viewing as it also allows you to scroll through images etc plus more editing options ?

Dlrainer

May 25, 2014
Visit site
My thinking was google or say dropbox was trying to synch or save your files to a cloud account but working too slow or got bogged down somehow

Lets try a simpler way, switch to airplane mode and see if you have same problem

then try

Go to settings/applications/gallery and make sure all tags are off if you have an account listed eg google tap that and see what photos are backed up and synched and switch them off and try

Remember to swich them back on later or backup using kies just incase

go to my files and see how much space your images occupy, then tap on the green icon circle and they should list with a small image of each file, see if that works ok to prove your images can be seen ok etc, then tap on an image and see if pictures can be viewed this way

in my files - under the picture folder? The only thing in there is craigslist, facebook, screenshots and tripadvisor...no gallery??

Last edited:

sjaduae

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
in my files - under the picture folder? The only thing in there is craigslist, facebook, screenshots and tripadvisor...no gallery??

Are all the missing pictures just in one folder on device and SD card ie DCIM ? or maybe Pictures or Images ?

Try moving them or some to a new folder or anther existing folder and see if you can then see them in my files as it almost seems these folders are not being searched as other images you note can be found in other folders

You did do as I suggested and tap the green icon for pictures and a list should appear not go to the folder directly ?

also when you go to settings/applications/default applications and tap on gallery does a whole list of permissions etc pop up and is there any strange app ones ?

Dlrainer

May 25, 2014
Visit site
Are all the missing pictures just in one folder on device and SD card ie DCIM ? or maybe Pictures or Images ?

Try moving them or some to a new folder or anther existing folder and see if you can then see them in my files as it almost seems these folders are not being searched as other images you note can be found in other folders

You did do as I suggested and tap the green icon for pictures and a list should appear not go to the folder directly ?

also when you go to settings/applications/default applications and tap on gallery does a whole list of permissions etc pop up and is there any strange app ones ?

Yes, I went to My Files and my images take up 3.50GB. When I click on the green icon and open a picture, it asks if i want to open it with Gallery, Photo's or Quickpic. IF i select Gallery, it takes forever to open and then once it does open it, it crashes. If I open it with Quickpic, it open instantly and does not crash. Thanks for all the help sjaduae!

sjaduae

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I went to My Files and my images take up 3.50GB. When I click on the green icon and open a picture, it asks if i want to open it with Gallery, Photo's or Quickpic. IF i select Gallery, it takes forever to open and then once it does open it, it crashes. If I open it with Quickpic, it open instantly and does not crash. Thanks for all the help sjaduae!

Did you try moving some pics to a different or new folder ?

Just wondering if something is corrupted in the directory structure in gallery app

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

I have 6.55GB's of content. Sounds like you have the same issue I had with the gallery app. Mine never crashed though. It just hung loading everything making it worthless for me. It just can't handle too much content. Stick with Quickpic and you'll be good to go! Now you should understand why many users prefer it over the gallery app.

Dlrainer

May 25, 2014
Visit site
Did you try moving some pics to a different or new folder ?

Just wondering if something is corrupted in the directory structure in gallery app

yes, I made a new folder and moved a picture into it. it moved just fine, however it still crashed

Dlrainer

May 25, 2014
Visit site
I have 6.55GB's of content. Sounds like you have the same issue I had with the gallery app. Mine never crashed though. It just hung loading everything making it worthless for me. It just can't handle too much content. Stick with Quickpic and you'll be good to go! Now you should understand why many users prefer it over the gallery app.

yeah quickpic is cool. I really like the stock gallery though. My boyfriend has 18.6GB of photo's on his S4 and he has no problem!! So I don't see how a measly 3.50GB could be doing anything. lol. he literally has thousands of pictures on his phone...maybe its an S5 thing?

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
yeah quickpic is cool. I really like the stock gallery though. My boyfriend has 18.6GB of photo's on his S4 and he has no problem!! So I don't see how a measly 3.50GB could be doing anything. lol. he literally has thousands of pictures on his phone...maybe its an S5 thing?

I have an S3 and the gallery app has always stuttered/lagged/slowed down for me. I have pics and HD videos on my device internally and externally.

sjaduae

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site

I just dumped over 8GB of pics on to my S5 in DCIM and the S5 handled it no problem

myfiles took a couple of seconds to do the file count 1st time and I could go to images immediately

I then went to gallery and it took maybe 10 seconds to count all the images but the screen was working immediately and just blinked whist it counted up, I then scrolled down and there is a slight delay as the blank icon squares populated, I finally scrolled down to the bottom very fast through 1000's of images of black boxes but soon as I reached the end the images appeared almost immediately

This was just on the first viewing subsequent times it was much faster

So I would say it's not the S5 in general just yours unfortunately

Sounds like time to back-up in Kies and do a factory reset IMO

Dlrainer

May 25, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for all the help! Gallery still isn't working, I've been using Quickpics with no problems though! Funny news to add though...a small piece of something inside my S5 fell and is blocking/obstructing my front facing camera, I can't take pics using it anymore. LOL figures. Called Verizon today and they are sending me a replacement phone. Figures! All that work and investigation and now I'm getting a new one! Hopefully the new phone they send me doesn't have any gallery issues...I'll let you know! Kinda sucks that when they send you a replacement, it isn't a new phone, but a "like new" or refurbished phone. :( I don't want a phone somebody else had already...but oh well. They were however nice enough to give me a credit for the tempered glass screen protector that I purchased (they rock!) since I paid $25 for one and I can't put it on my new S5.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all the help! Gallery still isn't working, I've been using Quickpics with no problems though! Funny news to add though...a small piece of something inside my S5 fell and is blocking/obstructing my front facing camera, I can't take pics using it anymore. LOL figures. Called Verizon today and they are sending me a replacement phone. Figures! All that work and investigation and now I'm getting a new one! Hopefully the new phone they send me doesn't have any gallery issues...I'll let you know! Kinda sucks that when they send you a replacement, it isn't a new phone, but a "like new" or refurbished phone. :( I don't want a phone somebody else had already...but oh well. They were however nice enough to give me a credit for the tempered glass screen protector that I purchased (they rock!) since I paid $25 for one and I can't put it on my new S5.

Backup your current phone with Kies 3.0

Then when you get your new phone, restore to it from Kies 3.0

It will be in the exact same state your previous phone was...

Dlrainer

May 25, 2014
Visit site
Backup your current phone with Kies 3.0

Then when you get your new phone, restore to it from Kies 3.0

It will be in the exact same state your previous phone was...

Sweet, thanks! Others have mentioned that but I forgot. Never used it before. Sounds a lot better than having to re-download everything again haha. It asked me if I wanted to download contact pics in default setting (79x79) or Original size (up to 720 or something) which one am I suppose to pick? lol

sjaduae

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Sweet, thanks! Others have mentioned that but I forgot. Never used it before. Sounds a lot better than having to re-download everything again haha. It asked me if I wanted to download contact pics in default setting (79x79) or Original size (up to 720 or something) which one am I suppose to pick? lol

Use the larger one, also Kies may not restore passwords when you restore to a new phone and your icon layout may need doing again but all your data etc will be there including sms's if some apps do not restore its no biggie as they are on your google account

As you have nothing to loose now you could factory reset your old phone and restore just to see if gallery works whilst you wait for the replacement

Dlrainer

May 25, 2014
Visit site
Use the larger one, also Kies may not restore passwords when you restore to a new phone and your icon layout may need doing again but all your data etc will be there including sms's if some apps do not restore its no biggie as they are on your google account

As you have nothing to loose now you could factory reset your old phone and restore just to see if gallery works whilst you wait for the replacement

Okay...I'm try to use Kies to restore my new phone, but it won't let me restore apps because it says it can only do that to the original device....lol. What the point of it then? I thought the point was if you ever lost or broke your phone you'd be able to get your new phone to be a mirror image of your old phone?

sjaduae

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Okay...I'm try to use Kies to restore my new phone, but it won't let me restore apps because it says it can only do that to the original device....lol. What the point of it then? I thought the point was if you ever lost or broke your phone you'd be able to get your new phone to be a mirror image of your old phone?

It's no biggie just log in to your google account and all your purchases so to speak are there go on WiFi and DL in mins so you haven't lost anything just a little configuration to do with icons

Besides it's a good opportunity to get rid of some :)

More important is your gallery back ?

Dlrainer

May 25, 2014
Visit site
It's no biggie just log in to your google account and all your purchases so to speak are there go on WiFi and DL in mins so you haven't lost anything just a little configuration to do with icons

Besides it's a good opportunity to get rid of some :)

More important is your gallery back ?

Thanks for the info! Actually, the new phone they sent me, the screen is ****ed up...so I'm on the phone with them now to return it. Exactly why I didn't want a used phone...wtf....now this is really getting out of hand lol

sjaduae

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the info! Actually, the new phone they sent me, the screen is ****ed up...so I'm on the phone with them now to return it. Exactly why I didn't want a used phone...wtf....now this is really getting out of hand lol

I'm surprised you cant walk in the store and get a replacement still keep on you will be happy in end :)

Dlrainer

May 25, 2014
Visit site
I'm surprised you cant walk in the store and get a replacement still keep on you will be happy in end :)

haha - no I wish. I bought both my S3 and S4 outright so that I wouldn't lose my unlimited date, AND I pay monthly for insurance for all my phones and I've never used the insurance...yet they REFUSE to send me a "NEW" Phone. And you can't walk into Verizon and request one either. Just got off the phone with them and they are sending me ANOTHER replacement that will be here tomorrow, and they credited my account $25. Geez....

Anyways...to get back to what you were saying about Kies...so when I log into my google account, all my apps will be there? What an annoyance!