Syncing bluetooth with my Ford's system

steve1279

May 25, 2014
Visit site
This has always been an issue even when i had my LG, if i lost the connectivity in the phone it was always a pita to find the sync option to input the serial number the "my ford" would generate when i tried to pair up the phone and my truck. Well with the GS5, i cant find anything that says sync on it in the settings or under bluetooth to enter a serial number that my truck generates. Where am I supposed to be looking??

steve1279

May 25, 2014
Visit site
may sound dumb, but how do i check for visibility? When i got in my truck the other day, blue tooth was on. I was in teh bluetooth menu, turned truck on, hit the "phone" button to start the process but nothing appeared in the bluetooth box on the phone.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
which version of Sync do you have? Gen 1 or MFT (My Ford Touch). I have Gen 1. I'll try to help when you tell me which version you have. Pairing should only have to be done once. And once your phone is paired, it will automatically snyc with you car whenever you turn on the key. It hasn't even been 3 weeks since I got my phone but I can't recall if was given a number or not. If not, you can try all zeros or all ones or 1234. To find visibility timeout on your S5, go to settings/Bluetooth/tap the menu button (3 vertical dots in upper right corner)/Visibility Timeout. If you still can't figure it out, Ford Sync phone support is very good. They will walk you thru the process.
Here's the phone number...
1 800 392 3673

steve1279

May 25, 2014
Visit site
Gen 1, no touch screens in my 2011.

I guess what i mean is the truck is not finding the bluetooth from the phone or phone isn't finding the truck. I can't find on the phone where to put the pin number that the ford system generates.

sjaduae

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Gen 1, no touch screens in my 2011.

I guess what i mean is the truck is not finding the bluetooth from the phone or phone isn't finding the truck. I can't find on the phone where to put the pin number that the ford system generates.

Sorry I mean the setting that your BT is visible to devices also start scan even though your truck has started and given pin

A box should pop up on your S5 if it receives a request from your truck, if not, they are not pairing

steve1279

May 25, 2014
Visit site
That was the problem, didn't have it visible. Once it was, got it synced up. Only thing that drives me nuts is the ring tone doesn't come through the speakers, just the annoying ford sync ringtone. I have it set up too to use phones ringtone. Both of the wifes escapes have used her phones ringtone.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Only thing that drives me nuts is the ring tone doesn't come through the speakers, just the annoying ford sync ringtone. I have it set up too to use phones ringtone. Both of the wifes escapes have used her phones ringtone.

Me too! I have Sync set to use phone's ringer but it won't. So I've just turned off any ring tone from Sync. That way I don't get two different ring tones...the car's and the phone's.

steve1279

May 25, 2014
Visit site
Tried it again today to see if the ringtone would be the phones........nope. Literally after setting it to phones ringer, wife calls and that annoying ford sync ringer happens. Does anyone else have a delay from teh time our phone rings till the time sync picks it up? I never had an issue with my lg, they would both ring at the exact same time. Now my phone goes through 3 rings before the sync starts ringing. If I answer it immediately im not on the trucks speakers, its through the phone, then it goes into the speakers.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I just tested to make sure and the Sync ringer and my phone ringer are just thisclose to ringing together. There is an official Ford Sync tech support lady that monitors the Fordflex.net forum. She said the only other thing she can think of is possibly the ringer won't work if we have the phone set to vibrate when ringing. Could you test that? I had vibrate on but turned it off and it's still vibrating when the phone rings. Can't figure out how to stop it.

steve1279

May 25, 2014
Visit site
It didn't matter with my LG if it was on ringer or vibrate, it never worked. Same here, i've had my phone on ringer a few times and it still does the stupid stock ringer. And as far as i know the sync is at current update so its not the truck. Im going to play around more in a few hours when i get out of work.

I still need to play with the phone period, so much more cool stuff/features then my lg.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I was able to use the phone's ringer thru Sync with my Droid Razr UNTIL I upgraded the OS to Jelly Bean. That broke the Text Message feature and the ringer. When I was at the dealer recently for some warranty work, they updated Sync to (my car's) current version. That fixed the text feature but not the ringer. A week later I got my S5. Text feature works but still no "use phone ringer as ringer" :( You do know you have several stock Sync ringers to choose from, right?

steve1279

May 25, 2014
Visit site
i've never been able to use the text feature, i dont think it works with the regular my sync, none ford touch screens. The text though, i did use to get a message on my display if i got a text message but not any more. Hopefully if i can get into another f150 this fall after my lease ends things will work like i want them too. lol

cyberdman

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I have a 2012 Fusion with regular old Gen 1 Sync and latest updates. The texting feature works on GS5 just as it did with my old GSII. It works great. If it isn't working for you, you either do not know how to use it correctly, don't have your phone set up right or are missing some Sync updates along the way.

steve1279

May 25, 2014
Visit site
My truck is not compatible with the text feature, i just tried it again today. I dont have the my ford touch, i have the regular radio with tiny display near the top of the dash. And I just dont think the truck's ringer will allow the phone ringer. I had it set to phone ringer, had wife call, stupid ford ringer went off. set truck ringer to OFF and it still came on when wife called. I dont really care at this point as long as the phone is paired up with teh truck and i can use sync and phone together im all good.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't have MTF either steve1279. We have the Sync that actually WORKS :) Gen 1. My Fort Touch is a nightmare. It's getting better with updates. They've given MS the boot so maybe the next version will be much better. The vehicle is dependent on which version it can upgrade to.
I do have the 8" Nav screen but I don't think that has anything to do with version of Sync I have.
Have you registered at syncmyride.com to see if you have the latest updates to Gen 1?

steve1279

May 25, 2014
Visit site
I don't have MTF either steve1279. We have the Sync that actually WORKS :) Gen 1. My Fort Touch is a nightmare. It's getting better with updates. They've given MS the boot so maybe the next version will be much better. The vehicle is dependent on which version it can upgrade to.
I do have the 8" Nav screen but I don't think that has anything to do with version of Sync I have.
Have you registered at syncmyride.com to see if you have the latest updates to Gen 1?

yup, even used ford customer care on a f150 site, they confirmed my truck was up to date. With the new system im curious how its going to be. The company does or did do alot of work with blackberry. They also have alot of the high end market cornered so maybe it will be a good thing. Would've been nice if they went to a android type service.

cyberdman

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Yeah Steve as I stated I have Gen1 Sync without navigation - NOT MFT - I have the same type of Sync you do. The problem is that Syncnyride.com & the Ford Customer Care website typically only lists the versions that you yourself are able to do the updating on. There are versions that are only available as Dealer installs. Prior to the version I have now, syncmyride.com listed me as having the latest version even though there was a later one only available by dealer install. Contact your dealer and see if they have a dealer install version of Sync to help you with Text messaging.

In addition to just having your phone synced with Sync, you have to have MAP Profile enabled in the Sync menus and message notification turned on.

1.) In SYNC, go to SYSTEM SETTINGS, ADVANCED, MAP PROFILE. Set MAP PROFILE to ON
2.) In the PHONE SETTINGS Menu in SYNC, go to MESSAGE NOTIFICATION. Set to ON

Now in the settings on your phone under bluetooth. Pick the gear icon by sync when you are synced up and make sure you have Call Audio and Media Audio checked and on.

The first time you a receive a message in the car your phone will give you a notification that SYNC is requesting text messages through Bluetooth. Make sure Always Allow is checked and hit OK on your phone.

All that has to be setup and happen in order for texting to work properly on ANY phone, not just the GS5. Now this will not fix the Sync ringtone issue where it always plays the Sync ringtone, but it will get texting working. Also, I have my Sync set to Sync Ringtone #2 and that is much less annyoing than Sync Ringtone #1.

Good luck.

steve1279

May 25, 2014
Visit site
thanks. i'll have to look at the sync options and the truck options. As for my dealer, they are retarded. I've asked in the past to have the sync looked at for updates and they flat out said, "we dont do that stuff here, thats your job".

cyberdman

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Wow! You know you can go to any dealership and have that done - you do not have to go where you bought your vehicle. But, you have to go into service, not to the sales people.