Juice Defender Has Given Me Absolutely Brilliant Battery Life

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
I tried another couple of battery use extender apps and, frankly, none did a whoile lot of good. I was aware of Juice defender from a previous smartphone but for some reason I hadn't tried it on the S5. So on a lark I installed it a few days ago. The difference has been dramatic to put it mildly.

I had been getting 12-14 hours of what I'd describe as moderate+ usage. For the last three days I have averaged 18-22 hours. And there's no impact on the phone's functionality whatsoever. This thing just seems to do its thing in the background with no need to adjust or update anything. I'm using the "balanced" setting which is the least aggressive of the several available settings. I'm absolutely thrilled with this.

Just thought I'd pass this along as there have been any number of threads devoted to the S5's battery life.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I tried another couple of battery use extender apps and, frankly, none did a whoile lot of good. I was aware of Juice defender from a previous smartphone but for some reason I hadn't tried it on the S5. So on a lark I installed it a few days ago. The difference has been dramatic to put it mildly.

I had been getting 12-14 hours of what I'd describe as moderate+ usage. For the last three days I have averaged 18-22 hours. And there's no impact on the phone's functionality whatsoever. This thing just seems to do its thing in the background with no need to adjust or update anything. I'm using the "balanced" setting which is the least aggressive of the several available settings. I'm absolutely thrilled with this.

Just thought I'd pass this along as there have been any number of threads devoted to the S5's battery life.

I looked in Play Store and there are 5 apps with the same name, some free, others $$ with varying prices.
They all look like they were written in 2011, so I wonder about them working with KitKat.

I'm getting 3-5 days with Battery Doctor now, but admit I switch it manually.

Which exact app did you finally decide to use? A link is best as there are 5 of them.

I don't mind comparing a different app if it makes my style of phone usage even easier than how I do it now.

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
I looked in Play Store and there are 5 apps with the same name, some free, others $$ with varying prices.
They all look like they were written in 2011, so I wonder about them working with KitKat.

Which exact app did you finally decide to use? A link is best as there are 5 of them.

I don't mind comparing a different app if it makes my style of phone usage even easier than how I do it now.

It's called "Juice Defender - Battery Saver" by Latedroid. It's free in the Play Store. As with most free apps, there are two paid versions that supposedly offer greater flexibility and customization. Can't see that this is necessary as the "out of the box" settings are just superb.

Sent from my SM-G900V using AC Forums mobile app

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Tried the free version dated 12/2011

It won't let you do anything except choose from the presets.

Read the docs that came with it and don't like the way it is programmed to work period.

I do NOT want DATA or SYNC ever turned on period unless I turn it on.

I use my phone for a lot of things that do not require a network connection. Why should that stuff be turned on and all of the apps on the phone start updating, apps start syncing up?

That one is not for me. Went back to Battery Doctor which works just fine.

My phone has only used 9% of the battery in the last 15 hours from full charge.
And I have been using the phone quite a bit. Not as a communications device, but as a tool to help me with my work and in helping folks on Android forums with the S5 menus.

It does not need DATA or WIFI to do any of those things.

Tahoe916

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Greenpower is one I like better than Juice Defender, although you need the premium version for some of the features. It looks like Juice Defender hasn't been updated for a long time. I'll have to check out battery doctor sometime.

GoreJak

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Tried the free version dated 12/2011

It won't let you do anything except choose from the presets.

Read the docs that came with it and don't like the way it is programmed to work period.

I do NOT want DATA or SYNC ever turned on period unless I turn it on.

I use my phone for a lot of things that do not require a network connection. Why should that stuff be turned on and all of the apps on the phone start updating, apps start syncing up?

That one is not for me. Went back to Battery Doctor which works just fine.

My phone has only used 9% of the battery in the last 15 hours from full charge.
And I have been using the phone quite a bit. Not as a communications device, but as a tool to help me with my work and in helping folks on Android forums with the S5 menus.

It does not need DATA or WIFI to do any of those things.

Is your phone rooted?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I never saw a good battery increase from it in the past and I didn't like my data being off when the phone locked.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Is your phone rooted?

No, stock from Verizon.

IMO, Juice Defender is useless... it leaves Data, Sync running at a minimum of every 15 minutes, 24 hours a day. That is NOT acceptable for me.

I went back to Battery Doctor which works perfectly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ref: DATA off when screen locked.

I turn OFF everything when my screen is locked. Why should DATA be ON while the screen is locked?
I have no need, nor do I want, any traffic going on while the screen is OFF. That is a waste of battery power.

When I am ready to use the phone, I turn the DATA ON and within 2 seconds email, or forums update.

The phone works just fine for telco calls and SMS messages w/o DATA or Sync.

IF there is a need for the GPS, then I turn it ON. Today was such a day. Used the GPS for navigation several hours finding stuff I didn't know where was in Tulsa. Got home, turned it OFF until next time. There is no need for GPS to be eating up the battery if not needed until next week, or next month.

I get 3 to 5 days on a single charge. 3 days with moderately heavy usage.
When I am through with the phone, everything is turned OFF including bluetooth.

leegreg81

May 12, 2013
Visit site

3 - 5 days???

Do you only use phone functions (as in no internet) and somehow manage to keep the display off the whole time?

Posted via Android Central App

leegreg81

May 12, 2013
Visit site
No, stock from Verizon.

IMO, Juice Defender is useless... it leaves Data, Sync running at a minimum of every 15 minutes, 24 hours a day. That is NOT acceptable for me.

I went back to Battery Doctor which works perfectly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ref: DATA off when screen locked.

I turn OFF everything when my screen is locked. Why should DATA be ON while the screen is locked?
I have no need, nor do I want, any traffic going on while the screen is OFF. That is a waste of battery power.

When I am ready to use the phone, I turn the DATA ON and within 2 seconds email, or forums update.

The phone works just fine for telco calls and SMS messages w/o DATA or Sync.

IF there is a need for the GPS, then I turn it ON. Today was such a day. Used the GPS for navigation several hours finding stuff I didn't know where was in Tulsa. Got home, turned it OFF until next time. There is no need for GPS to be eating up the battery if not needed until next week, or next month.

I get 3 to 5 days on a single charge. 3 days with moderately heavy usage.
When I am through with the phone, everything is turned OFF including bluetooth.

This 3-5 days with moderately heavy usage sounds unlikely to me. Do you have a higher capacity battery than was provided with the phone originally?

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
3 - 5 days???

Do you only use phone functions (as in no internet) and somehow manage to keep the display off the whole time?

Yes, that is what I do....

Hi all, just awoke for the start of Day 2 this go around.
right now at 0440 hours in the AM, the battery is at 73%.

Yesterday, As wife and I had doctor appointments, we went into town and did the sit and wait thing from 0730 until 1030.... She getting eyes checked out for cataract surgery. Did not make any phone calls all day, nor any text messages. Was very quiet for us. Did do some forum surfing while at the doctor's office and looked up a good place to eat nearby....

Yes, I am getting 3 days use per charge easily, and once just to see how far I could stretch it, went 5 days.

I am not a gamer, and don't watch videos. I am a technical person and use a lot of apps on the phone that don't require the internet. Making notes, computations, etc...

I use Battery Doctor and the Switcher Widget it has to control the phone's access to the outside world.

If a phone call comes in, once I get the conversation going, I touch the Power Button to black out the screen. My screen timeout is set at 10 minutes to allow me to read a lot of text w/o having to re-awake the phone all the time.

When I put the phone asleep, I always turn OFF
DATA, SYNC, WIFI, GPS, BLUETOOTH.
Phone calls and text messaging do not require any of those so I leave them off while talking on the phone.

When those functions are OFF the phone just idles along and sips at the battery.
When I need the internet, click DATA and it is on... need GPS, click and it is ON.... get into a really long telco conversation and the Bluetooth gets turned on.

So yes, I easily get 3 full days, usually 4 days between charges.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Yes, that is what I do....

Hi all, just awoke for the start of Day 2 this go around.
right now at 0440 hours in the AM, the battery is at 73%.

Yesterday, As wife and I had doctor appointments, we went into town and did the sit and wait thing from 0730 until 1030.... She getting eyes checked out for cataract surgery. Did not make any phone calls all day, nor any text messages. Was very quiet for us. Did do some forum surfing while at the doctor's office and looked up a good place to eat nearby....

Yes, I am getting 3 days use per charge easily, and once just to see how far I could stretch it, went 5 days.

I am not a gamer, and don't watch videos. I am a technical person and use a lot of apps on the phone that don't require the internet. Making notes, computations, etc...

I use Battery Doctor and the Switcher Widget it has to control the phone's access to the outside world.

If a phone call comes in, once I get the conversation going, I touch the Power Button to black out the screen. My screen timeout is set at 10 minutes to allow me to read a lot of text w/o having to re-awake the phone all the time.

When I put the phone asleep, I always turn OFF
DATA, SYNC, WIFI, GPS, BLUETOOTH.
Phone calls and text messaging do not require any of those so I leave them off while talking on the phone.

When those functions are OFF the phone just idles along and sips at the battery.
When I need the internet, click DATA and it is on... need GPS, click and it is ON.... get into a really long telco conversation and the Bluetooth gets turned on.

So yes, I easily get 3 full days, usually 4 days between charges.

Can you post some screenshots of these 3 to 4 day battery lengths and also your screen on time?

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

novasquid

May 5, 2014
Visit site
i can confirm the 3-5 day battery life if almost everything is turned off. i went camping in the mountains of west virginia where there was absolutely no signal, so i turned everything off and just played with my phone, camera and gallery. see screenshot below for friday through sunday.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-05-28-08-17-42.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-05-28-08-17-42.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 23

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I tried JD when I got my phone in the beginning and noticed it made my battery do down much faster than without it.
I'm guessing the constant closing of mobile data was killing the battery

Still Mostly Harmless

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
I tried JD on previous phones and it made no difference at all. I am getting on average 26-28 hours (100%-10%) with moderate use. I am happy with any phone that can make it through an entire day without worry.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance