Get the Galaxy S5 now or wait for the S5 Prime?

sdsubball23

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm wanting to get a new phone as I've had my HTC Rezound since end of Dec 2011. I've been thinking about getting the S5, but I know there might be an S5 Prime coming in the next 2 months or so. The thing is I don't want to wait anymore, but I don't want to miss out on better technology with the snapdragon 805 processor and 3 GB of ram that might be in the S5 Prime.

So I'm undecided right now and I'm torn as to what decision to make. If I get the S5 now, then I feel like I'm going to soon miss out on newer and better technology in the prime if that's what it turns out to be. I know I can't just keep waiting for the latest and greatest tech unless I keep dishing out money for it which isn't the best thing to do for me.

What would you guys do? Is the S5 great and sufficient for the next 1-2 years?

miamiborn79

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
There will always be something bigger and better right around the corner regardless of whether or not you pull the trigger or wait. That's the nature of technology.The S5 is a great device. It will be leaps and bounds better than your Rezound. Is the S5 Prime coming? Maybe. Will it come soon? Nobody knows for sure, but if you get caught in the game of the "something better is around the corner" then you will miss out in the end. Trust me! If you want to know if the phone is worth it, I'd say yes, but it's subjective. Go play with one in the store and decide for yourself if it's for you. But if you wait for the Prime, just know that the S6 may only be a few months away as well...

Sent from my Galaxy S5, Galaxy Note 3, or LG G2 depending on my mood.

sdsubball23

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
There will always be something bigger and better right around the corner regardless of whether or not you pull the trigger or wait. That's the nature of technology.The S5 is a great device. It will be leaps and bounds better than your Rezound. Is the S5 Prime coming? Maybe. Will it come soon? Nobody knows for sure, but if you get caught in the game of the "something better is around the corner" then you will miss out in the end. Trust me! If you want to know if the phone is worth it, I'd say yes, but it's subjective. Go play with one in the store and decide for yourself if it's for you. But if you wait for the Prime, just know that the S6 may only be a few months away as well...

Sent from my Galaxy S5, Galaxy Note 3, or LG G2 depending on my mood.

Yeah you're right in that there's always something better right around the corner, it's just this prime seems like it could come out in the next 1-3 months while the s6 could be much longer.

I do feel like I want something that is better than the iphone, but I feel the s5 isn't 100% there. Maybe subjectively yes, but the iphone still has that 64-bit processor and perhaps a better camera though not by much. What do you think? is the s5 better than the iphone 5s or perhaps the better than the new iphone 6 regardless of what the new specs may be?

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
It's different last year we didn't get Prime versions of the flagships.

I say wait for the Prime. Even with the LG G3, some are questioning buying it all because of the BS move.

Once a year is more than enough especially with android where we get 3-4 flagship releleases.

"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras. " - MacKenzie (The Newsroom, HBO)

Chief G-Hawk

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
I read somewhere that the S5 Prime is coming only in Asia. I could be wrong. I'm in Korea right now and nothing new about the prime yet.

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I read somewhere that the S5 Prime is coming only in Asia. I could be wrong. I'm in Korea right now and nothing new about the prime yet.

I read that also. I read up on the prime because I was upset that a better phone that should have been the S5 was coming out. But thet's no say when and if like the previous versions of Samsung primes, only in Asia.

To the OP, if you can hold off, then wait and see. But if you're ready for a new phone, the S5 is a great phone. I can see using this for the next 2 years if not longer.

Posted via Android Central App

Tim Pilot

May 26, 2014
Visit site
I had the s5. I took it back to wait for the prime. Now I'm leaning toward the lg g3. I think the g3 is better than the gs5 and may be equal to the prime. G3 will be a lot cheaper. Check it out it's going to be revealed tomorrow.

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
The Prime version will be SLIGHTLY better as far as specs go, but what will the price be for it? How heavily will the carriers subsidize it? How long before "The Next big Thing" comes along...such as the Note 4? What was the time difference from when The S4 Prime was released to the time the S5 came along?

OBF

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Wait for the S5 Prime to come out. Then you can see the reviews and comparisons and decide which phone is worth getting.

zzd191

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Its 3GB ram and i'll wait for it if i were you + it might be have minor improvement. Its worth to wait. Unless your current phone in critical. Then just buy the S5.

On Tapatalk 💬

Netherscourge

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
I thought more RAM would be needed, but looking over my S5 Memory Manager, I seem to only ever be using around 1.5GB of RAM, even with 5 or 6 apps open at once. (and all my background stuff running constantly)

I always have atleast half-a-GB of RAM available.

So, 2GB is more than enough for me.

I would not wait for more RAM. There needs to be more features for it to be worth waiting for. (faster CPU? more internal memory? 4K display? an aluminum body?)

But, those things would do better in a Galaxy S6 to compete with the iPhone 6, whenever that comes out.

The S5 is a pretty damn solid phone. I don't see anyone topping it dramatically for at least a year. Maybe longer. The S5 seems to be a "plateau" phone. There's really not much farther you can go with it other than to turn it into a Phablet, but that's what the Note is for.

If you want bigger size or more Ram, I'd wait for the Note 4 rather than the S5 Prime.

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
There was a discussion about this earlier and I believe someone mentioned that the Prime versions was basically for Korea only. Plus I'd be surprised if Samsung released an updated version after 6 months of being on sale, that would upset quite a few folks. If you Google "galaxy prime for Korea only?" pretty much every article says it will hit in Korea with 5 different colors to choose from. Not sure where you reside so you may or may not be able to purchase it.

rustum

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
There is lot of bickering in G3 thread before its release about 805 and 801. Apparently 805 does not come with integrated LTE chip. So, it is only suitable for tablets. 810 is the next best thing (2015). S5 Prime will end up having same internals as S5 except 3gb RAM. If it is made from metal, probably there will be some compromises in terms of removable battery and sd card.

cnotes2019

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
There is lot of bickering in G3 thread before its release about 805 and 801. Apparently 805 does not come with integrated LTE chip. So, it is only suitable for tablets. 810 is the next best thing (2015). S5 Prime will end up having same internals as S5 except 3gb RAM. If it is made from metal, probably there will be some compromises in terms of removable battery and sd card.

http://www.qualcomm.com/snapdragon/processors/805

Isn't lte support listed on the site??

Edit: can be paired with qualcomms modem so I would say you are right but that a device can still utilize it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: