Galaxy S5 - Front camera ring piece loose - defective

paipuky

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
I decided to upgrade my Galaxy S3 (Verizon) to the new S5... So far very disappointed at the lack of evolution on these devices; but even more the build quality. I am already on my second device in a month as the first one and now the replacement one have had an issue where a piece of the front camera becomes loose (underneath the glass) and ends up covering the lens. This is totally unacceptable!

Other problems with this phone include NFC randomly being shut down by itself, phone shutting down by itself after launching camera (required pulling battery out to make it work), camera overheating disabling flash and frequent app crashes.
I am really frustrated with this phone, even more after paying full price for it (to keep my plan)

20140503_170435.jpg

jschu22

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Same thing happened to my launch day S5 on literally day 14, minutes before my local at&t store closed. Fortunately I was still able to exchange and not go the warrantee route.

It is a very odd issue though especially without any kind of drop or impact to the phone.

Posted via Android Central App

Cincy Dutchy

May 31, 2014
Visit site
I had the same problem, went back to T-Mobile and Samsung sent me a new one. After a $5 fee.
Received the new one and now after a week I can see it coming down again!!... :'(
So I guess ill go back, but I'm not paying the fee..

Kel M

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I noticed mine front camera is loose too but I never use it anyway. I use the back camera for everything even selfies lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I can't detect a "ring" around my front camera :confused:

I can just barely detect where the front camera lens "might be".

So, I just turned on the front camera and the image that appeared there was so horrible, "who the hell is that? :eek: I straight away turned it off.

All fun aside, neither of the cameras have given me any issues and I got mine on 4/11/2014 like a lot of folks did.

rudythejerk

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
I had the same exact issue with my s5 but i bought my phone at tmobile and they only have a 14 day policy so i had to send mine in to samsung for repair i have not received my phone back from them. How did you resolve your issue with front camera piece that became loose?

paipuky

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
I had the same exact issue with my s5 but i bought my phone at tmobile and they only have a 14 day policy so i had to send mine in to samsung for repair i have not received my phone back from them. How did you resolve your issue with front camera piece that became loose?

After two brand new S5 devices with the same problem, I just decided to save $100 and switch to the LG G2; great phone, faster UI and more compact.
It really sucks that a company like Samsung still cannot afford to make quality hardware like the HTC M8, or iphone 5s.

Tubby_Penguin

Jun 7, 2014
Visit site
I have the same issue with NFC randomly turning off as well as the front camera having a half-moon ring partially covering it.

My options are:

1. Get a Refurb from AT&T and not be without a phone.
2. Send it to Samsung and not have a phone for 2 weeks and hope they can fix it.

I've had the phone about 6 weeks. Very upset. I won't be buying any more Samsung products in the future.

tomadamsphoto

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I had the same issue. T-Mobile sent me a new phone overnight. The new phone front facing camera port looks different than the other. Maybe they found it to be a phone wide issue?

Posted via Android Central App

Randy Sears1

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
I'm on my 2nd S5. The first one had this issue. The people at T-Mobile claimed they've never seen the issue. Got a replacement and it's doing it after 2 weeks. So I'm going back to the store tomorrow. I'm seriously considering not getting another S5.

danom9

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
I woke up today and decided to play around with the front camera of my S5 taking pretend selfie only to discover the same problem. Half of my face was covered by a black half moon. Sure enough the ring around the front camera lense has slid down half covering it. I'm so disappointed and im goino to go into 3 today and try to get a replacement. It's just a lot of hassle.

stephen smith6

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
had my (white) s5 for over a month now and seem to have the same issue (see pic)

went the samsung store on monday he seemed to know the problem very well, said its covered under warranty but will take 2 weeks to repair had to buy a ZTE Open C for a back up phone which i hope is coming on thursday :(

wonder how wide spread this is

Screenshot_2014-07-15-22-53-07.png

Hisham Shafai

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
Few days ago I noticed the same problem in my S5 , I fixed it very easily after watching some videos about how to take part this mobile, just I need the hair dryer to heat the edges then seperate the screen using many plastic pieces of old credit cards,then elevate the screen only one mm to allow fine pin to be introduced under the sreen and move the o ring gaskit back to original position, remove plasic pieces and apply moderate pressure to the edges, every thing was OK without any damage.

Sam Adeleye

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
Same thing with my S5 front camera, the ring is loose covering half of the front lense, I first thought my 4yr/o daughter dropped it, God bless her heart, she denied dropping it. Now I see is tech flaws

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463