backspace triggers twice

Matt Cr

May 29, 2014
Visit site
If I press a character immediately after pressing backspace (on the default Samsung keyboard), the backspace triggers twice before adding the character. If I take a moment between backspace and the next key, it is fine, but if they're hit in rapid succession, then this happens.

Anyone else having this problem?

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Sounds like a software glitch. Does it do it in a specific app or just in general? Have you tried other keyboard settings besides the Samsung default? Or have you downloaded an app recently that accesses your language input. Sometimes they can cause missteps...

Matt Cr

May 29, 2014
Visit site
It does it in general no matter what app I'm on. I've been avoiding trying other keyboards due to the device's warning that they could potentially store and send out anything I type, including passwords etc. I think this has been happening since day 1 out of the Verizon box before I installed any apps, but it took me a little to figure out what was going on. But I suppose if no one else is experiencing this, I'll have to try removing apps one at a time to see if anything helps.

Additional note, I just confirmed that rapidly tapping a character and then backspace does not display this problem. The typed character is removed as expected. It's only when backspace is tapped before a character that it is triggered twice.

novasquid

May 5, 2014
Visit site
I was curious so I just tried it on my phone, and it does exactly the same thing. I've never noticed it before. I suspect it's a "feature" of the Samsung keyboard.

my phone is an att s5.

Tayla Jenkins

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
I've been looking everywhere for my backspace issue and I'm relieved I have found a similar problem with others, although mine sounds a little different. I have a Huawei Ascend Mate 7 and using the Google keyboard, if I backspace a few times it highlights a letter but doesn't delete it and then if I continue to backspace it skips the highlighted letter (leaves it there) then highlights a letter before, if I proceed to backspace it then brings together 2 words and just makes a complete mess of my message. This is time consuming and extremely frustrating. I feel like this was a tactical way to improve messaging but its far from improved. I HATE IT! If anyone knows how to deactivate this that would be awesome, other keyboards just chew through my battery so no point using those.

Matt Cr

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I occasionally see something like that with the Google keyboard as well, but it's not as frequent as the issue I was having in the original post with the default Samsung keyboard. This only seems to happen when the keyboard gets hung up for a moment while my fingers are still typing. I don't think this is a "feature" but rather just a glitch. With all the thinking that a phone does now on every backspace (loading suggestions for the partial word, underlining mispelled words and loading corrections, etc), the phone probably just gets occasionally confused while trying to do that AND actually do what your fingers are telling it. Just another case of breaking simple things by trying to make them more advanced. I doubt the makers of the keyboard are worried about it.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams