how to turn off sound for email notifications

kldisantis

May 30, 2014
Visit site
Hello all.
Im new to the android family and im trying to figure out how to turn off the notification sound when I get a new email. I can't seem to figure it out. I do not want to turn off my ringer or text though. I just get a ton of spam emails at all hours of the day. Thanks in advance.

Posted via Android Central App

trickym81

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If you're using Gmail, got to settings, click on the email account you want to make changes to, then tap "Inbox sound and vibrate." You'll see a section called "Sound." Change it to silent.

cynjonsson

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
To whomever replied
"If you're using Gmail, got to settings, click on the email account you want to make changes to, then tap "Inbox sound and vibrate." You'll see a section called "Sound." Change it to silent."
THANK YOU<THANK YOU< THANK YOU!!!! I got the new Galaxy Note 4 last week (I've had the galaxy note 1 since it was first released). Even the ATT folks don't know how to work it. All I want to hear is my phone ring and my calendar notification. Everything else needs to be quiet or the constant noise will drive me insane! Thought I had figured out how to set all the individual apps on "silent". Kept hearing notifications though. Finally figured out that it was the email setting, but couldn't figure out how to get to it! THANKS AGAIN!!! :D

Patrick Novak

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
The only way I've found to silence an email notification is to go to /settings/sound/default notification sound/ and select 'none'.
This of course turns off all notifications! I've tried /settings/accounts/email/account settings/gmail/notification settings/ and then tried 1.turning off email notification and 2. turning it on, but selecting a ringtone of 'silent'. Either of which would seem to be the right thing, but do absolutely nothing.
There's nothing under /settings/apps
Under /settings/sound/volumes/ the only choices are 1. music-video-games-etc, 2.ringtone, 3.notifications and 4. alarms. Selecting #3 shuts off all notifications, and /settings/sound/audio effects/ has nothing helpful.
I'm running an android maxx system version 23.3.24.obake- with android version 4.4.4 build number SU5-24.
If anyone can document (similarly) something that works I would greatly appreciate it. Also, I thought I had seen (somewhere) and set 'quiet hours' between 11pm and 6am. This does not work either, and any insights would be appreciated. TIA

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Go Settings/apps/app mgr/

find the email app you are using and then turn off Notifications.
That will stop all notifications for that app.

I never get any sound alerts for my email, and that is what I did.

Wayne2049

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
How to Turn Off Sound For Email Notifications & Other Samsung Applications

This procedure works for the Samsung Galaxy S5 email application. It will silence the email notification while leaving your other sounds turned on. This same procedure can be used to silence or customize the Samsung application sounds for Call, Messages, and Calendar.

1) Swipe down from the top of the screen and select the gear icon to enter the Settings menu.
2) Select Sounds and notifications
3) Scroll down and select Other sounds
4) Scroll down to Samsung applications and select Email
5) Select your email account. If you have more than one, do the following steps for all of them
6) Make sure the Email notifications box is checked to access the Notification Sound menu
7) Select Notification Sound
8) Select Silent then OK
9) Uncheck the Email notifications box
Use the arrow at the top of the window to go back one screen to set other email accounts if you have them.

That's it campers, no more annoying sounds waking up your wife in the middle of the night (I sleep the sleep of the dead and don't hear it LOL).

shellytn59

Oct 19, 2015
Visit site
I have a galaxy s5 Active and I don't have settings like the ones you list. I do not have "sounds and notifications". Any ideas? The notifications of emails drives me crazy. I will turn my phone off just so I don't have to hear them.

anon(8453378)

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
Settings are within the Gmail and Outlook app, which allow notification and LED, without sound or vibration. Not sure of exactly what you are going for...

bjorkv1

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site
I also am a new user to Droid from Apple.
Do you know how to turn off just email notifications/sound on a Samsung Galaxy 6 and not text? I have multiple emails corporate outlook and gmail although it is not working well so far. I've tried the different options listed on this chat page but none have worked. In one case, I was not able to change notification it is grayed out.

Earrolyn Robert

Feb 10, 2016
Visit site
Re: how to turn off LED light for email notifications

I have a Samsung A5 and somehow whenever I get an email the flash at the back with the camera flashes. I cant seem to get rid of it. I need help please...

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Re: how to turn off LED light for email notifications

I have a Samsung A5 and somehow whenever I get an email the flash at the back with the camera flashes. I cant seem to get rid of it. I need help please...

Hello and welcome to Android central Earrolyn Robert!

It sounds as though you may have a hearing impaired setting enabled on your phone.

ejbytes

Jan 16, 2017
Visit site
Android 5.0 (lollipop) : Samsung S5

Two areas to change: email notifications and priority senders

Settings → Device → Sounds and Notifications → Other Sounds → Email → eMail account-click → Notification Sound (change to silent)
Settings → Device → Sounds and Notifications → Other Sounds → Email → Priority Senders → Notification Sound (change to silent)

barbarajb

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
Thank you so much, email notifications have been driving me mad. These things most people want to do are so hidden;thank goodness for forums like this