text message unread count will not go away

xomissbxo

May 31, 2014
Visit site
The text message unread count on my galaxy s5 will not go away. It says I have 2 unread texts buy I've gone through every text message to try and get rid of it but nothing works. I've only texted one person since it's happened and now it won't even change to 3 or 4 unread when I get a text. I haven't done anything different with my phone or installed any new software or apps. I've tried reseting my phone and even going into the menu part of the messaging app and clicked on "mark all messages as read" and nothing has worked. It should be noted that I have service through Verizon and the messaging I'm using was whatever was preinstalled just called Verizon messaging.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I seem to remember having that problem with the original Verizon message apps.

It was very irritating to see the count on the screen, but go into the msg app and nothing new is there.

I installed Go SMS Pro and then I disabled both messages and Messages+

end of problem.

sjaduae

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
It may be a draft message you think there is nothing there but if you have an empty reply bubble with a space, it may show

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
The text message unread count on my galaxy s5 will not go away. It says I have 2 unread texts buy I've gone through every text message to try and get rid of it but nothing works. I've only texted one person since it's happened and now it won't even change to 3 or 4 unread when I get a text. I haven't done anything different with my phone or installed any new software or apps. I've tried reseting my phone and even going into the menu part of the messaging app and clicked on "mark all messages as read" and nothing has worked. It should be noted that I have service through Verizon and the messaging I'm using was whatever was preinstalled just called Verizon messaging.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I don't know if this will work, but pull the battery out, wait 10 seconds and put it back in and see if that helps.

Jayesh Patkar

Jul 24, 2016
Visit site
This has work for me.

First take a backup of your sms with SMS Backup and Restore app.
Then delete all the messsage from your messaging app.
Then restore all the sms using SMS Backup and Restore app.
Now again you will see count showing unread sms, but after backup restore, you will also see unread messages also.
Now delete the unread messages and your app will show message count as zero or no unread message.