I screwed up and went over my 2 gig limit for Verizon Wireless...Got some questions

Bayarea13

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
-How much more would I get charged for going over?

-On the VW app, the shared data bar is now at 10 gigs instead of 2 gigs...does that mean I am charged for 10 gigs? Will that change my regular plan or will it go back to normal once my usage cycle resets?

-Also on the shared data bar it says "your new plan allowance is proated for this bill cycle" what does that mean?

-Now for some reason my shared minutes is now unlimited but before there was a limit...is it cause I went over my data limit and when that happened it upgraded my plan?

mattc12

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi. Sorry to hear you went over your data limit, as it can be very expensive. If you are on the Verizon Share Everything Plan, you have unlimited minutes and messages, and a certain amount of shared data. If however, you go over your limit, the plan overage is $15/per GB overuse. The My Verizon app would show the AMOUNT OF DATA you used. So, if it says 10 GB, that's how much you used, going over your limit by 8GB. It will say 10 GB/2GB used. If it says your usage/10GB, it means your limit is 10 GB. However, in the Galaxy S5 settings, you can set warnings and limits on your devixe, so you don't go over your limit in the future. Hope this helps. It will also be great help for us if you show a snapshot of the my verizon app, with your personal data blurred out.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
When I was with Rogers I went over, I got a text saying how many GB and the extra charge. I think they wanted $30.

Anyways I called them and explained that I accidentally left Tethering on and they credited my account.

Call, what's the worst they can do. Tell you you're SOL?

"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras. " - MacKenzie (The Newsroom, HBO)

mattc12

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Yes, you should have received a text message from Verizon saying you have reached your limit. You can call them to sort things out. Did you change your data plan amount or allowance because you said it was PROATED. Let us know what happens, I am curious. Thanks

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Yikes! I don't know how someone goes over THAT much and not realize it. Holy Moly! Good luck. Hope they'll work with you on the amt owed.

Daemonswolf

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
Yes, you should have received a text message from Verizon saying you have reached your limit. You can call them to sort things out. Did you change your data plan amount or allowance because you said it was PROATED. Let us know what happens, I am curious. Thanks

Verizon recently switched everyone over to their Share Everything plan. They did it without warning people - you might have received an email saying something along the lines of "your plan has been changed successfully". You also didn't get a choice in this change. Unfortunately, in the contract you signed with Verizon there is a clause that says they can change the terms of your plan at any time. (If you were grandfathered in to Unlimited Data you probably don't have it anymore, but I can't confirm that.)

What comes with the share everything plan?

-Unlimited Talk

-Unlimited Text

- Some sort of data limit such as 2GB, 4GB or 10GB. As you add lines onto the plan you can increase your data without incurring too much of a greater bill. The idea behind the share everything plan is that the more people you have on your contract and the more data you buy off Verizon the less overall you'll spend

That being said, without a screenshot, I can't confirm anything, BUT check your My Verizon widget or go to the My Verizon website. If you are over your data, as Matt suggest it will say 10GB/2GB used. However if it says 2GB/10GB used then you've gone over. Typically, Verizon will text you when you're reaching your limit and they should text you if you go beyond.

Unless you've been watching a ton of Netflix or Youtube or something then you probably haven't gone over your data limit.

I want to disclaim that I don't work for Verizon, I learned about the unannounced transfer to the Share Everything plan when my dad - who is generously paying my mobile bill - called me worried about the email he got saying that our plan had been "successfully changed". From my research I learned that Verizon now has two types of plans:The Share Everything Plan and the Verizon Edge/More Everything plan.

--> The Share Everything plan gives you unlimited talk and text and a data limit. The more people on the plan the cheaper the bill will be. The benefit to the Share Everything plan is that you purchase a device at the "two year activation" price. After two years you are allowed to upgrade your phone at another two year activation price. You own your device. When your contract on that device is up it is yours to keep, sell, give away, whatever you want to do with it. For example if you bought the S5 at Verizon's most reason 100$ off Smartphone sale, you spent 150$ when you include the mail in rebate and the activation fee.

So on the Share Everything plan the device costs you 150$ + monthly line fee for two years. (I believe it's 40$ for a smartphone with Verizon).

--> The Verizon Edge plan is a phone trade in plan. The idea being that you can upgrade your phone sooner than 2 years. It also has unlimited talk and text as well as some sort of data limit. You pay a monthly fee for the phone. Once you have owned the phone for 30 days and paid off 60% of the phone you can upgrade your phone. So say you bought the Galaxy S5 today and in 30 days the Galaxy Note 4 comes out and you absolutely have to have it. Assuming the s5 is 700$ retail and you've paid off 420$ of it in 30 days you can upgrade to the Note 4 the day it comes out. BUT, there's a catch: The phone must look factory new. That means no scuffs, dents or scratches. Why? Because you have to trade the phone in. You don't get to keep the phone and you have to spend a lot more money basically rent the phone. If you want to keep the phone in the long run you will have to make the monthly payments until you've paid off the phone in either 18 or 24 months.

So on the Verizon Edge Plan the cost to rent to own the device will eventually reach full MSRP + monthly line fee.

Personally, despite the perk of the quick upgrade, the Verizon Edge program is silly. You pay a lot more money to upgrade your phone more frequently. BUT! I digress, I don't want to drag this thread off topic.

Tl;DR
You were probably switched to the Share Everything plan without notice. Check your my Verizon account to be sure that your data limit wasn't increased without you being aware.

Drunder40

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I just upgaded all 4 of the phones on my account to the S5 via the Edge program. They gave me a $25 credit a month on all 4 phones so all 4 are essentially free. Monthly bill only went up 3 bucks.. Very happy with this.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phlyx