SquareTrade for Cell Phones

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
SquareTrade gets great reviews and come highly recommended. I bought a 2 year policy for my GN/2014. I wondered if they did cell phone warranties, went to their website and yes, they do! It's $99 for two years. That comes to $4.13 a month vs the $8 a month I'm paying with Verizon. The deductible is $75. It's $99 with Verizon's warranty. It doesn't cover loss or theft. Does the $8/mo Verizon plan? And you might be able to get the ST warranty for less. When I bought my tablet warranty, I asked them about a coupon. I found 100's on line but none worked. They emailed me a 30% off coupon :)

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Interesting, never thought of them for warranties.

I refused Verizon's warranty package because the deductible alone is equivalent to the insurance. Not worth it.

I have a Square Trade USB card to accept credit card payments, but never did install it. My business plans went awry.

darigaaz12

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Just remember they only replace one phone with the warranty or fix your phone up to the value of the phone and then you have to buy a new one

Sent from my D6503 using AC Forums mobile app

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
As far as I'm aware you also have to send the phone in so they can review the damage. That leaves you without a phone for that period of time. Asurion will overnight a phone immediately so you're not without a phone for an extended time.

Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)

LeighAngela

May 30, 2014
Visit site
I looked at asurion but it looked like you had to get it thru your carrier. Tmobile 10/mo, no thanks. Can you buy asurion on your own and at what cost?

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I have used Square Trade before but have never had to file a claim so I'm not certain how the claim process would work for a repair. Look around - you can find 30% off coupons and they sometimes send out 40% off.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I looked at asurion but it looked like you had to get it thru your carrier. Tmobile 10/mo, no thanks. Can you buy asurion on your own and at what cost?

It appears it's a carrier only option, but I didn't go too far into their web site.

LeighAngela

May 30, 2014
Visit site
I have used Square Trade before but have never had to file a claim so I'm not certain how the claim process would work for a repair. Look around - you can find 30% off coupons and they sometimes send out 40% off.

I filed a claim a few years back for a desktop. Easy and fast full payment for a replacement.

troshs

Trusted Member
Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
We sell it with phones at Sams Club. We can add it right on to the transaction for your upgrade. Best thing is it covers drops, spills, etc. Most carrier insurance will not do that. Plus it's only like a $40 deductible to get a replacement versus carriers which charge you just about the same as a new phone. AT&T wanted a $200 deductible for my BlackBerry and it wasn't even physical damage.

Posted via Android Central App

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Square trade is good just make sure that it is the coverage you need. No loss or theft coverage and would only pay up to the full cost of the phone once

Verizon Asurion insurance is $5/mo. Deductible is $99. 2 claim limit per year. It also covers the active device at time of peril, so if you use multiple devices, it would be covered if currently active. With square trade, coverage is per device so multiple devices means multiple square trade warranties. If you want extended warranty it is another $3.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Moto G

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I have made a claim for my son's tablet with Square Trade, pretty simple process. The only negative was the time it took to go through the whole process. I think from the time we sent the tablet in to having a replacement sent to us was about 10 days. I have made two different claims with Asurion, one was with my Rezound, after about 21 months the buttons stopped working. Went into Verizon on Friday and had my replacement on Saturday. My daughter shattered her S3 screen. File Claim on line Saturday morning, had the replacement Monday afternoon.

I have found both to provide very good service. I keep my phones insured through Asurion, for their speed of getting the replacement and because they cover theft. With teenagers taking their phones to school I like having the theft protection. For my other electronics I have Square Trade coverage. You can always find 30% off codes. One warning and I don't know if this is an issue, but years ago when I bought my daughters iTouches on Amazon I bought the Square Trade Warranty through Amazon, I was not careful and did not realize that the option I selected was only a warranty extension, did not cover accidents. I have since made sure always buy my warranties and the Square Trade site. Plus with the coupons I get from them the price is always very reasonable.

Just be aware Square Trade may fix your device, send you a replacement device (refurbished) or they may pay you for the device. The option is theirs as to the action they will take to resolve the claim.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I got the $89 Square trade for my tablet. no deductible for repair or payment if they cannot fix it. Same for my phone, lg optimus G, with a $99 deductible. You still use the manufacturers 1 year warranty if there are hardware/software issues, but drops/spills damage is the whole 2 years.

never filed a claim though. I have with Asurion through verizon and at&t in the past and they are quick to send a new phone. But at $10/mo plus $200 deductable for most all flagship phones now, not really worth it even if the phone is stolen. I'll just buy an N5 lol.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I got the $89 Square trade for my tablet. no deductible for repair or payment if they cannot fix it. Same for my phone, lg optimus G, with a $99 deductible. You still use the manufacturers 1 year warranty if there are hardware/software issues, but drops/spills damage is the whole 2 years.

never filed a claim though. I have with Asurion through verizon and at&t in the past and they are quick to send a new phone. But at $10/mo plus $200 deductable for most all flagship phones now, not really worth it even if the phone is stolen. I'll just buy an N5 lol.

Verizon charges $5 for asurion insurance and deductible is $99

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Verizon charges $5 for asurion insurance and deductible is $99

Wow that the lowest ive ever seen them lol.

To clarify, it covers lost, stolen and damage for 2 years, but if electrical failure type things happen after the mfg 1 year warranty, you're SOL?

At AT&T, its $7 but includes 2 year warranty

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Wow that the lowest ive ever seen them lol.

To clarify, it covers lost, stolen and damage for 2 years, but if electrical failure type things happen after the mfg 1 year warranty, you're SOL?

At AT&T, its $7 but includes 2 year warranty

If you need extended warranty then you would have to pay $3 more, for $8 total.

Att does include extended warranty and insurance for $7,but deductible for even the s2 is $199. The list is fairly new ad it lists the s5 too. Deductible can be as low as $50 like for the s3 mini.

namagure.jpg

conanbarb

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
The SquareTrade deductible at Costco was $25 last year, but now it's $50. Still better than the Amazon.com SquareTrade deductible or Verizon in general.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The SquareTrade deductible at Costco was $25 last year, but now it's $50. Still better than the Amazon.com SquareTrade deductible or Verizon in general.

Price wise yes, but coverage is less also. Depends on what coverage you want. Asurion also sends you a phone overnight, square trade requires you to mail it in.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc