Sweet Spot For Battery Time

Average real world battery life

• Total voters

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
I think most of us would agree that if this phone can take us through a full day we're doing alright. To expect anything more from a modern smartphone is just not reasonable assuming you actually use the device once in a while.

I'm finding I'm getting about 9 1/2 hours until my battery hits 50% which extrapolates to 19 hours of use. Frankly I'd be quite happy with anything beyond 16 hours which for me (and most of the rest of us I'd guess) represents a full day.

Juice Defender is helping a lot as is having turned Location to power saving and sync to off. Needless to say, all crapware is also either stopped or (if possible) uninstalled. Foremost here was anything from Amazon.

Just wondering what the average real world battery life is for most of us.

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Why do you say that? I have actually noticed significant improvements in my battery life since installing it.

How much screen time during those 9-1/2 hours? I'm assuming a lot, I'm at work the first 9 hours, so I don't use as much as when I get off work. After 10 hours (7am -5pm) I'm at 85-90 %, that's with about 30 minutes screen time. Then I go home and put 2-3 hours screen time, a lot of spotify, facebook, emails, texts, some calls etc....when I go to bed, now it's been 17 hours or so, I am usually at 50-60%.

Chief G-Hawk

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
Why do you say that? I have actually noticed significant improvements in my battery life since installing it.

Juice Defender app is quite old and hasn't been updated since 2011, so it seems like the dev. haven't even touched the app after the the last update. So, I've used the JD before on my S4 and it was useless as it did nothing. I ended up deleting the app itself. Quite frankly I don't need the app on my S5 as it gets me 2-3 days without it just fine. But I do use the Battery Doctor.

PainFX

May 2, 2014
Visit site
Like others had said, it depends on ur screen time. If i dont use my phone for whole day i lose less thab 5%. If i use it within an hour, i lose about 10%

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
6/2/2014 5:21 PM

PyschDoc,

We have visited on this subject many times, and I respect your use of Juice Defender, but I found it to be totally useless in actually helping with extending the battery life on my S5.

After a test period, I uninstalled it and reinstalled Battery Doctor.

I have changed my pattern a little bit, I now leave GPS on all the time on High Accuracy.

I am using the Battery Doctor Switch Widget to turn OFF,
Data, Sync, WiFi and Bluetooth each time I put the phone to sleep.

Today, I had a co-worker with me and we were alone in our work truck for our 10 hour shift. I did not need the phone until after we got off work, then I got on it to coordinate family business before driving home.

I just made a new screen shot of the current battery status which shows 3 days, 32 minutes since the last charge and 48% battery remaining.

I defy Juice Defender to even get close to those numbers. Another thing I did not like about JD is: it is 2011 technology and has no clue about Kit Kat. Also, it turns ON data and sync and WiFi every 15 minutes. Why should it do that? It is pointless and not needed. (per the docs I read)

With Data, Sync, WiFi and Bluetooth all turned OFF, the battery drain is minimal plus phone calls and Text Messages still work just fine.

When I need the phone, I turn everything on except Sync. That is not needed to read emails nor is it needed to download and install new apps. I am finding that Sync is just about useless for me. I have yet to find a place where I need it.

So, to put my foot where my mouth is, here is the most recent screenshot.

So, your poll did not have a place to put my situation... Guess I will take the last choice.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-06-02-17-20-38.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-06-02-17-20-38.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 68

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Oops, I accidentally hit "eternal" instead of 20+ hours. BUT, I think there should have been another option between 20 hours and eternal. I get well over 24 hours on my charge with all the "fluff" turned ON. I only have a few apps shut down but Sync and GPS/Location, animation, etc, is on. Average would be close to 1 1/2 days. Much more than 20 hours but nowhere near the 4-5 days some say they get. I'm quite pleased with my phone's battery life and keeping all the features active.

NavySeal334

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
There must be something wrong with my s5 because I am always down to 20-30% by 4pm after having taken it off the charger or off Ultimate Power saving or off airplane mode at 730am (basically at 97-100%). I have location on power saving, wifi turned on once I get to work, mobile data turned on and off intermittently throughout day to slow bleed, screen time avg of 1.5-3 hrs. I've turned off all amazon apps, most verizon, and most samsung fluff. Running Lightning Launcher.

Android System and Android OS have always been the primary battery eaters, always more than screen. Any ideas what's causing this?

Screenshot_2014-06-02-16-41-47.jpg
Screenshot_2014-06-02-16-50-23.jpg
Screenshot_2014-06-02-16-50-39.jpg

anon(6142785)

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I've tried several battery savers and found them all to be virtually worthless. A battery monitor is useful for monitoring but that's all. The so-called battery savers are a waste of battery.

Posted from my VZW GALAXY S3

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Just to explore all options I uninstalled Juice Defender and installed Green Power.

I have read very good things about GP and I believe it's updated on a current basis (unlike JD which has been stagnant now for the last three years). I want to be as objective as I can be so we'll see how the next few days go and then I'll decide whether to stick with GP or go back to JD.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I've tried several battery savers and found them all to be virtually worthless. A battery monitor is useful for monitoring but that's all. The so-called battery savers are a waste of battery.

Posted from my VZW GALAXY S3

I disagree with you a lot on that statement.
no way will a stock S5 give me 3 to 5 days of battery life IF: Data, WiFi, Sync and Blue tooth are left ON.

You paid not attention to my post and screenshot.

MrCheyl

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
6/2/2014 5:21 PM

PyschDoc,

We have visited on this subject many times, and I respect your use of Juice Defender, but I found it to be totally useless in actually helping with extending the battery life on my S5.

After a test period, I uninstalled it and reinstalled Battery Doctor.

I have changed my pattern a little bit, I now leave GPS on all the time on High Accuracy.

I am using the Battery Doctor Switch Widget to turn OFF,
Data, Sync, WiFi and Bluetooth each time I put the phone to sleep.

Today, I had a co-worker with me and we were alone in our work truck for our 10 hour shift. I did not need the phone until after we got off work, then I got on it to coordinate family business before driving home.

I just made a new screen shot of the current battery status which shows 3 days, 32 minutes since the last charge and 48% battery remaining.

I defy Juice Defender to even get close to those numbers. Another thing I did not like about JD is: it is 2011 technology and has no clue about Kit Kat. Also, it turns ON data and sync and WiFi every 15 minutes. Why should it do that? It is pointless and not needed. (per the docs I read)

With Data, Sync, WiFi and Bluetooth all turned OFF, the battery drain is minimal plus phone calls and Text Messages still work just fine.

When I need the phone, I turn everything on except Sync. That is not needed to read emails nor is it needed to download and install new apps. I am finding that Sync is just about useless for me. I have yet to find a place where I need it.

So, to put my foot where my mouth is, here is the most recent screenshot.

So, your poll did not have a place to put my situation... Guess I will take the last choice.

How much on screen time was this and what radios were turned on?

sirmaru

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
My average battery stats over 4 cycles: 5.5 days, percent battery power left: 20%; active time: 20 hours and 45 minutes; screen time: 3 hours and 5 seconds. I voted 20+ hours in the poll per my active time.

I use the s5 mostly as a tablet when away from home and to send and receive text messages. I rarely use it for phone calls since I stay home most of the time.

My most used apps are the AcroBible and the Samsung for Kindle apps.

When not being used, I leave it in Ultra Power Savings Mode.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I don't monitor screen time, only time used on battery.
I'm not quite the fanatic about all the different ways to monitor things.

I am on day 4 now with 37% battery left....

I turn DATA OFF period. That means NO Radios can communicate to the internet.
The basic radio is still on as telco calls and text messages work just fine.

When I make or receive a phone call, I black out the screen as soon as we start talking. I don't need to see it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-06-03-13-01-39.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-06-03-13-01-39.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 30

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
My average battery stats over 4 cycles: 5.5 days, percent battery power left: 20%; active time: 20 hours and 45 minutes; screen time: 3 hours and 5 seconds. I voted 20+ hours in the poll per my active time.

I use the s5 mostly as a tablet when away from home and to send and receive text messages. I rarely use it for phone calls since I stay home most of the time.

My most used apps are the AcroBible and the Samsung for Kindle apps.

When not being used, I leave it in Ultra Power Savings Mode.

You and I both are really making these S5 phones work "for us".
Our results are very similar with my current cycle at almost 4 full days and 37% battery.

I make a few calls, send a lot of text messages, read the newspapers, surf on craigslist, check my bank accounts and send a few checks that way for deposit.

Lynx

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I must be one of the few people who can kill their phone during a work day. Yesterday I took it off the charger at 6:45am. Left work at 4pm and I was at 31%.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463