How to turn off software update?

PainFX

May 2, 2014
Visit site
I looked in about device and I saw the option software update, when i press it, it says it's already up to date. But how do I disable that?

Kelly Burby

Banned
Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
I looked in about device and I saw the option software update, when i press it, it says it's already up to date. But how do I disable that?

Well, there is no any way to disable the option of software update other than rooting your device. Well, tell me one more thing why you want to disable the update option ? I guess its good to have a update option !! :O

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site

You can't disable this. When an Android OS update is available for your device you will get a message stating so. It won't download automatically.

PainFX

May 2, 2014
Visit site
You can't disable this. When an Android OS update is available for your device you will get a message stating so. It won't download automatically.

Ok. Just to confirm, there is no way, absoluetely, you cannot disable the update. T-mobile just updated my phone without asking or being able to stop the update. Guess we are doomed.

nowayjose2015

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
Android gives you a fair amount of freedom about updates. You can turn off all updates, or limit updates to Wi-Fi downloads only. You can also enable updates for only specific apps - so for example, you might want the latest versions of apps you use very frequently, but you don't want to waste bandwidth downloading updates for other apps that will be launched only once every three months.

To turn updates on or off, follow these steps:

- Open Google Play
- Tap the hamburger icon (three horizontal lines) on the top-left
- Tap Settings
- Tap Auto-update apps
- To disable automatic app updates, select Do not auto-update apps.

If you want to instead auto-update apps only when you're connected to a WiFi network, tap Auto-update apps over Wi-Fi only in the same pop-up. Android also lets you choose which apps you want to update automatically.

- To turn on auto-update for any app, go to the app page in the Google Play app
- Tap the three vertical dots in the top right
- Check Auto-update.

This way, you can disable automatic updates and still keep chosen apps ready with the latest versions.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
If you are running a stock Samsung firmware you can go to...

Settings > About device > Software updates > Auto update (uncheck) .

This feature has been removed on non Samsung, "clone", firmwares, (see #1.6 of 40 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide), and unless you are rooted there is no way to refuse or stop the OTA, (Over The Air), update being forced on your phone by your carrier.

kenasha

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
For some reason, my S5 doesn't have the option to turn off wifi. When I touch the software update button, it just updates! No options at all! Anyone know why that is?

kenasha

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
GM-G900T it currently has version 4.4.2.

I figured I should update it and when I realized it was using my data I tried to turn it off but it didn't give me an option to do that either.

Last edited:

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
GM-G900T it currently has version 4.4.2.

I figured I should update it and when I realized it was using my data I tried to turn it off but it didn't give me an option to do that either.

Can you double check your model details of GM-G900T again?

Also, what are your exact Version details, as per my last post?

kenasha

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
woops, that should be SM-G900T model.
I've run one update so the android version is now 5.0 (before it was 4.4.2)
Kernel version 3.4.0-4033351

kenasha

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
I know there's another update. My phone is still trying to update and I can't seem to stop it. Since neither the 4.4.2 or 5.0 allow me to change update settings or stop an update I don't hold out much hope that a bug fix will take care of it. Honestly, I'm stumped as to why I can't get the option screen. That's just nuts.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463