I was wrong. Losing LTE then going into 3g then won't go back to LTE without toggling airplane mode

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Man up moment. I was wrong. Lol. I know there was a couple of threads on this, however I didn't see if this is something that will be resolved. As some of you know, and Lord knows it may again be a sprint problem.... Although I saw people say the same from different carriers.... If you're in LTE 4G whatever and you go into a 3g area and then back to a LTE area, you're stuck in 3g mode unless you toggle airplane mode.

Posted via Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Yeah that sucks. If only Sprint could fix it :eek:.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Mariah Richardson

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Man up moment. I was wrong. Lol. I know there was a couple of threads on this, however I didn't see if this is something that will be resolved. As some of you know, and Lord knows it may again be a sprint problem.... Although I saw people say the same from different carriers.... If you're in LTE 4G whatever and you go into a 3g area and then back to a LTE area, you're stuck in 3g mode unless you toggle airplane mode.

That doesn't happen to me, or at least I don't think it does! My connection will go back to LTE just fine without having to go into airplane mode. And I am on sprint as well

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
That doesn't happen to me, or at least I don't think it does! My connection will go back to LTE just fine without having to go into airplane mode. And I am on sprint as well

I thought so as well. BUT, I was leaving the my home which has wifi, going on LTE, then I get to the office and that has wifi, I leave the office and it goes to LTE, however, I noticed that there's an area where I lose LTE and it goes to 3g, and when I get to downtown where LTE is, it won't connect to LTE, it stays on 3g. once wifi drops it will search for LTE, but if you go from LTE to 3g, it doesn't hook back up to LTE. UGGG

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Couple of things I've found in my research about this issue as it applies to Sprint:

This has nothing to do with the device, this is a Sprint tower issue related to the Spark Network
The device is working as intended...it's the tower that's not...shocking

The Spark modem implementation is a result of the problems with the towers not the cause
After the local tower is updated with LTE, it also must be updated with additional software related to the hand off of 3g activity (necessary for calls and texts on Sprint) back to pure data.
This has to do with the way that your device interperts "Spark" services as it relates to the tower - the issue is that "Spark" requires three points of connection to be "Spark" if you don't live in a "Spark" network, the tower is supposed to identify and then let you connect back as "Normal LTE" (if that makes any sense)[/INDENT]

This will affect any Sprint device with a Spark modem (going back even to the Nexus 5, which I own...and did experience the problem as well)
[*]Had (and still have in some areas local) the same issue - but the minute the towers were updated nearest me, the problem is eliminated.
For instance, at work - no issues, on my drive home - if I get a call, and I'm past tower A (updated) and attached to tower B (not updated), the 3g network picks up the call - and will not connect back to LTE until a forced modem reset (or Airplane mode toggle).

Last point - yeah...it sucks...

Jack

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Couple of things I've found in my research about this issue as it applies to Sprint:

This has nothing to do with the device, this is a Sprint tower issue related to the Spark Network
The device is working as intended...it's the tower that's not...shocking

The Spark modem implementation is a result of the problems with the towers not the cause
After the local tower is updated with LTE, it also must be updated with additional software related to the hand off of 3g activity (necessary for calls and texts on Sprint) back to pure data.
This has to do with the way that your device interperts "Spark" services as it relates to the tower - the issue is that "Spark" requires three points of connection to be "Spark" if you don't live in a "Spark" network, the tower is supposed to identify and then let you connect back as "Normal LTE" (if that makes any sense)[/INDENT]

This will affect any Sprint device with a Spark modem (going back even to the Nexus 5, which I own...and did experience the problem as well)
[*]Had (and still have in some areas local) the same issue - but the minute the towers were updated nearest me, the problem is eliminated.
For instance, at work - no issues, on my drive home - if I get a call, and I'm past tower A (updated) and attached to tower B (not updated), the 3g network picks up the call - and will not connect back to LTE until a forced modem reset (or Airplane mode toggle).

Last point - yeah...it sucks...

Jack

So, at some point it will be "fixed" thought right?

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
The answer you're looking for: Yes
The answer you don't want to hear: As soon as Sprint updates all their towers in the second part of Network Vision...after the full LTE rollout

Sadly both are true...though, as I mentioned...I have towers local to me that have been fully upgraded...just not all of them...when I travel, the problem is exacerbated...

Jack

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
The answer you're looking for: Yes
The answer you don't want to hear: As soon as Sprint updates all their towers in the second part of Network Vision...after the full LTE rollout

Thank you. Kinda sucks because I am going to Houston (from Dallas) for some sales calls. My NAV in my Mercedes is a few years old and I like the option of using my phone NAV but I feel like I won't know when it's appropriate to toggle airplane mode , and that's a hassle while driving in traffic.

Boo Sprint. BOOOOO

Sadly both are true...though, as I mentioned...I have towers local to me that have been fully upgraded...just not all of them...when I travel, the problem is exacerbated...

Jack