I just about doubled my battery life with an app

dad2noah

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I saw a couple people using an app called *Automateit*, so I thought I'd give it a whirl.
Using the 4 rules in the attached screenshot, I doubled my battery life.
I tried to replicate the screen on time as close to each other as possible, and I got pretty close.
You'll notice that in the *with automateit* picture, I still had 5% left, which is about 3 hours for me.
Needless to say, I spent the whole $2 for the pro version of the app. There's not 1 of us in here that can't pony up the $2, so why not give it a whirl.
Normally, i'm at about 20% when I get home from work, and by the time I go to bed, my battery is junk.
Yesterday I got home with 50% left, and no change in how I use the phone from day to day.
Woke up at 7am to 30%, and by 11 am, down to 5%, and could have gone till about 2pm.
I don't need to know the second someone responds to a post on facebook, and I don't need to see the second a snapchat comes in, and the only time I want the gps active, is when I'm lost.
Along with these 4 rules I have posted, I have wifi off (unless I'm home), and location off.
I';m not saying this will work for you, but it couldn't hurt to try..

without.pngwith.pngrules.jpg

Kel M

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I'm using battery doctor with great results. I like to root my S5 soon too.

Sent from my Galaxy S5

dad2noah

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
With the full version, you can download unlimited rules from the rules market, instead of having to trial and error when you make your own rules

here4kids

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
ok, so is it hard to root.... and does that cause any glitches?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AC Forums mobile app

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
ok, so is it hard to root.... and does that cause any glitches?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AC Forums mobile app

Depending on the device/carrier, it can be pretty easy. It doesn't cause any glitches, but rooting does void part or all of your warranty.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I have used automateit before, it wasn't a bad app, but I prefer Tasker, which seemed to work better for my needs. Tasker can do this and many other things.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I saw a couple people using an app called *Automateit*, so I thought I'd give it a whirl.
I tried to replicate the screen on time as close to each other as possible, and I got pretty close.
You'll notice that in the *with automateit* picture, I still had 5% left, which is about 3 hours for me.
Needless to say, I spent the whole $2 for the pro version of the app. There's not 1 of us in here that can't pony up the $2, so why not give it a whirl.
Normally, i'm at about 20% when I get home from work, and by the time I go to bed, my battery is junk.
Yesterday I got home with 50% left, and no change in how I use the phone from day to day.
Woke up at 7am to 30%, and by 11 am, down to 5%, and could have gone till about 2pm.
I don't need to know the second someone responds to a post on facebook, and I don't need to see the second a snapchat comes in, and the only time I want the gps active, is when I'm lost.
Along with these 4 rules I have posted, I have wifi off (unless I'm home), and location off.

View attachment 121599View attachment 121600View attachment 121601

2 dollars or not I see no need for a battery saving app. They all mainly do one thing.. Disable data when screen is off. I'd rather have my data on so I can receive push messages.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site

This is not a fair comparison. Being able to go two days has zero bearing when you 1) use the phone half as much (SOT) per day and 2) receive zero notifications unless you waste time waking the phone up and using it for several slow minutes as all the background junkware gets caught up on what's been happening. 2.5hrs screen time is very very bad unless you are using some highly intensive app, which should have appeared in your battery list.

System and OS are consuming enormous amounts of power, for what? You need to use GSAM or similar, ESPECIALLY since rooted. Find out what is wakelocking your phone into a higher consumption state.

I am camped in a valley on my Flex, with LTE 0-1 bars and everything except Knockon running. Shot some video, spent some time online. 25hrs, 5hrs SOT, 35% battery *with* eight hours of wakelock and all data running normally. You should be getting closer to at minimum four hours screen per twenty-four hour period on your S5.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
2 dollars or not I see no need for a battery saving app. They all mainly do one thing.. Disable data when screen is off. I'd rather have my data on so I can receive push messages.

I disagree with this train of thought.

There is nothing that needs to be pushed to my phone....
I use Battery Doctor's switcher because it is very handy and convenient.

Turn off Data, Wifi, sync, bluetooth and the battery lasts for 4 days minimum.

Phone calls work, text messages work, that is all that is needed on my phone.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I disagree with this train of thought.

There is nothing that needs to be pushed to my phone....
I use Battery Doctor's switcher because it is very handy and convenient.

Turn off Data, Wifi, sync, bluetooth and the battery lasts for 4 days minimum.

Phone calls work, text messages work, that is all that is needed on my phone.

Even if you disagree all they do is disable it. Something I could do on my own if it really bothered me.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

+1 I've never understood why someone would want to buy a smartphone and then castrate it. I need to get notified of email (and other things) when it comes in, not when I remember to take the phone out of my pocket and turn it on.

dad2noah

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
This is not a fair comparison. Being able to go two days has zero bearing when you 1) use the phone half as much (SOT) per day and 2) receive zero notifications unless you waste time waking the phone up and using it for several slow minutes as all the background junkware gets caught up on what's been happening..

Whoa whoa whoa. Lets settle down people. 1st of all, I didn't use the phone half as much just so I could extend the battery, and it certainly doesn't take several slow minutes for everything to get caught up. As a matter of fact, by the time I draw my unlock pattern, the data is already on, and facebook already wants to tell me who liked my newest cat video.
If I want to see if a new FB notification exists, I open FB, and wait a whole second, same thing with snapchat or whatever else uses push notifications.
I don't need to know the very second the e-mail comes in from the guy in Africa wanting to give me $1,000,000. When I open the email app, and refresh, I again am ok with waiting the 1.37 seconds for the mail to get pushed to my phone.
I'm a casual user, who uses my phone for work, and for play. Lives do not hinge on my push notifications.
If you have a top secret job where lives or money depend on you reading an e-mail the second it comes in, than that's good for you. Don't turn the data off.
But for MY needs (not yours), this app with these settings work great, and I thought it may be useful to others as well

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khalio1234