Text Blocking

Jason Stallman

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
So I've been googling and searching and having trouble nailing down the answer.

Friend of mine has the Galaxy S5 through Verizon
Keeps receiving texts from somebody that she doesn't want to receive texts from.

I've been trying to locate how to block the incoming text. On my S4 I see where I can choose to add the contact to "spam number." I don't see this option on the S5. I looked at the blocking list, but this only blocks a phone call I'm assuming since I added the number and she is still receiving the texts. Anywho, I was going to look in the app store but was wondering if I can do it natively. Thanks for any help.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site

RawisTheGameHhH

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
So I've been googling and searching and having trouble nailing down the answer.

Friend of mine has the Galaxy S5 through Verizon
Keeps receiving texts from somebody that she doesn't want to receive texts from.

I've been trying to locate how to block the incoming text. On my S4 I see where I can choose to add the contact to "spam number." I don't see this option on the S5. I looked at the blocking list, but this only blocks a phone call I'm assuming since I added the number and she is still receiving the texts. Anywho, I was going to look in the app store but was wondering if I can do it natively. Thanks for any help.

go into your text messages and click on the menu button in the upper right and go to settings; scroll down to the bottom and turn on spam filter; you can add numbers there

Jason Stallman

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
So I should have mentioned this also. I have tried going into setting etc. There is NOTHING about a spam filter in there. I've found directions on how to do this. Go into settings/spam filter on/add #
Prob is that option isn't on the phone. I went into system settings/apps/messaging/ same thing. Nothing. Long press on the conversation...nothing. It's driving me batty.
And she uses stock everything. No skins, etc.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I think this is a feature left out on the Verizon model. There's another thread with the OP having the same problem and is also on Verizon: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...erizon-s5-text-message-blocking-possible.html

Users on AT&T who were helping have the spam option but the OP, on Verizon, does not. If it's not there then the only option would be to use a third-party app, which may not be what your friend wants to do. Does Verizon allow you to block numbers from the account page via the web? Meaning, you'd have to log into your Verizon account and see if there is a blacklist option.

Let us know what your friend ends up doing.

Lauren Morris1

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
Just wanted to let you know I was just trying to do this as well. If you haven't found a solution yet, I did. You can log into your Verizon account online and click on "contact us" in the upper right corner. Then choose "my device" under "what can we help you with?". If you scroll down a little, there should be "text/call blocking" under troubleshooting. You can enter specific phone numbers there. I was told when that person attempts to contact, their text will bounce back as undeliverable and their call will reach a recording that it can't be completed.

By the way - I downloaded 2 different apps, Dead2Me and Mr. Number and neither of them worked!

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Just wanted to let you know I was just trying to do this as well. If you haven't found a solution yet, I did. You can log into your Verizon account online and click on "contact us" in the upper right corner. Then choose "my device" under "what can we help you with?". If you scroll down a little, there should be "text/call blocking" under troubleshooting. You can enter specific phone numbers there. I was told when that person attempts to contact, their text will bounce back as undeliverable and their call will reach a recording that it can't be completed.

By the way - I downloaded 2 different apps, Dead2Me and Mr. Number and neither of them worked!

Yes, that has been a Verizon "feature" for a long while. It is just a PITA to get it done for each and every number you want to block.

I use Reverse Number, and that sucker will throw an unwanted number into limbo land. It puts the unwanted number into your Contact List with a prefix making it sort to the bottom of the list out of the way. It tags that number as "no answer, no call forwarding..." your choice.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Had a call last night from a New Mexico number that wanted permission to put up a sign in my front yard for AT&T Security.
Enter '1' for yes,
Enter '9' for "Do Not Call List"

guess which I chose :)

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Had a call last night from a New Mexico number that wanted permission to put up a sign in my front yard for AT&T Security.
Enter '1' for yes,
Enter '9' for "Do Not Call List"

guess which I chose :)

Do you really think that will work? Not. Block the number by adding it to the reject list.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
It should be in your messages settings... Open messages, hold the menu button for settings, and it should be there

I have the AT&T version if it matters

bumu6ate.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk

Mojave

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Last edited:

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Verizon keeps messing with good stuff. I have Sprint and I do have the spam filter for messages.
1403306967902.jpg

Sent From Inside The TARDIS With My Galaxy S5

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I use Go SMS Pro and it has a spam filter.

Darn good message app, it will send MMS to phones that don't have MMS capability.
How? It stores the MMS on a web host and sends a link to that host to the other phone.