Blocking unwanted Text Messages in Kit Kat

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Sometime in the last week, a post was made asking how to prevent an unwanted person from contacting her via SMS messaging. She can block his phone number directly, and/or just not answer "unknown caller" attempts. (could just direct those to a silent ring/disconnect)

I was browsing aimlessly thru the internet and just came across this blurb:

(*Text blocking not available on Android 4.4/KitKat) found it here:
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ls?id=com.webascender.callerid&token=-4y5D5vl

and this blurb:
• Starting from Android 4.4, Google has revoked SMS/MMS permissions from developers. Due to that fact, LINE whoscall will not be able to block SMS/MMS for Android versions 4.4 and above. Call blocking feature is not affected.

If that is actually true, as of today we have no way to block unwanted SMS messages.

I was reading all of the info on different Caller ID apps to see if any of them are worthwhile.

What I have really noticed about the INFO on Android Apps.... everyone of them proclaims to be the best app for: whatever feature it is for

Without verification from actual users, like here on a forum. that kind of statement goes in the toilet for me.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
More searching finds this is an option to block unwanted SMS harassers.... but, it requires that you ditch your existing SMS app and use theirs.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ls?id=com.visinor.phonewarrior&token=AioB5J6c

May 25, 2014 Dear user, you will have to set Phone Warrior as default SMS app to be able to block texts.This is a limitation imposed by Android KitKat OS.

In the case of the woman being harassed by an ex-spouse, this might well be very acceptable.

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
If you read closer you would see I posted an app called Extreme Call Blocker. You have to use the sms app that works with it. It will block unwanted messages. I don't use it because the sms app you have to use with it is bare bones.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
If you read closer you would see I posted an app called Extreme Call Blocker. You have to use the sms app that works with it. It will block unwanted messages. I don't use it because the sms app you have to use with it is bare bones.

Unfortunately, "reading closer" would mean reading every single post on the forum.... I am covering 3 Android forums now, plus moderating a motorcycle forum..... not enough screen time to read it all.....

but, I just installed Phone Warrior this evening and with my short amount of casual use, I am finding that I like the way it is set up for text messaging. Easy to see "who" the message thread is as it includes a picture of that user.
Easy to manipulate the threads, offers more options than other SMS apps in general... press and hold on a message gives you the menu to do something...

It claims that it will block both SMS and MMS messages you don't want. I presume it is doing that by keeping the offender's ph# in a database on the phone. that seems logical to me.

Need to test the blocking feature, think I will use the wife's phone as a test bed. Can always unblock it later.... not that it matters, she don't know how to text anyway. If it rings, she answers it.... other than that, it lays on the table.

I will install Extreme Call Blocker and give that a run for a couple of days and give it the same acid test.

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Uh, no I won't, not for $5.99 just to test it....

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s?id=com.greythinker.punchback&token=mhjUCw8f

Better be good for that kind of money.

I will just bookmark it for later use.

Using the native messaging app...can't you go into the settings under spam and choose "Block Unknown" like we talked about in my other thread...the one where I asked what exactly the spam settings were about? I know it's of no help if you are using a third party messaging app. Just a thought!

http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s5/398321-default-message-app.html

The thing about Extreme Call Blocker is that the messaging app you have to use is really basic. It's reliable, but I prefer using the Messaging app already installed.

johnhalbert

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Actually the native app will block texts from unwanted senders. In the conversation window click the menu button in the upper right corner, People & Options from the list and then block on the following screen. Took me a while to find out and most threads seem to miss this. No 3rd party app needed.

DevalLovesCons

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
Thank you. NQ Vault used to let you keep your messaging app while using theirs only to block certain numbers and/or send them to a hidden vault. You could even set it so that the Vault icon didn't appear at the top of your screen. It was awesome. Now it SUCKS!

ME84

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
thank you for this post. I have been trying to block a spam text on my Samsung galaxy s4 and was looking all over my phone. I kept reading how this was an option and I thought i had lost my mind until i saw this. Of course this would be the option that is deleted. Thanks again for the post I can stop wasting my time looking for something that is gone.
ME :)

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Since i posted up above, I have changed to Go SMS Pro for my texting app.

Even the free version allows you to block an unwanted text message number.

MikeB17

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Actually the native app will block texts from unwanted senders. In the conversation window click the menu button in the upper right corner, People & Options from the list and then block on the following screen.
I don't have a People & Options setting (4.4.2). I have the Spam Filter On and Block unknown senders but I still get all kinds of crap spam.
Anyone?

MikeB17

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
All the 3rd party blocking apps require the use of their product for texting, no? I prefer to use the native app, I don't understand why the Block unknown feature doesn't work. Blacklisting is useless, spammers change numbers constantly.

sammypresley

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Hi there,

Chomp SMS does the same thing as the built in Texting app does for KitKat 4.4.2 and what it does
it just hides the received unwanted messages and actually doesnt auto delete them from the device.

With the built in Text Messanger on a Samsung Device In the message from the person why wanna block look for under menu dots in top right handed corner something labeled Add to Spam Numbers and when the person that you added to spam numbers tries to text you then their text message(s) will be sent to the spam box sorta like what gmail does with emails that you mark as spam.

Just remember that every now and them you might wanna empty the receives texts in the spam box so you can keep your devices storage space high instead of a little low because spam messages stored there will take up room off the device as you get more and more of them

And with Extreme Call Blocker i bought it and it excellently Blocks phone calls and text messages in 4.4 and up kitkat os.

it doesnt save the incoming received message from the blocked sender as you can set it up to
completly erase the received message that wont ever show up in the list of received messages.

I like this method because no longer on kit kat are the messages simply hidden in a spam box on
the device taking up precious room. and yes their text messenger app is plain and simple but for $5.99 which i payed for it it does the text messaging and phone call blocking (with out sending the
call to be blocked to the voice mail and doesnt if setup correctly list the blocked callers number in
the os's call log and doesnt ring the phone it just picks up the call briefly then hangs it up via a software method which seems to be good.

hope this information has helped anyone out...

Bunzhawg

Oct 5, 2014
Visit site
Actually the native app will block texts from unwanted senders. In the conversation window click the menu button in the upper right corner, People & Options from the list and then block on the following screen. Took me a while to find out and most threads seem to miss this. No 3rd party app needed.

Where can I get native app? The play store?

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Where can I get native app? The play store?

The native app is part of the ROM on your phone.

Go to the app drawer (the block of dots on the lower right corner) and look for it there.
If you can't find it there, then goto

Settings/apps/app mgr/Turned OFF and most likely you turned it off, just turn it back on.