Reasons to Upgrade to the GS5-From a GS4 Owner POV

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Since I converting to Android from RIM with the launch of the GS3,I continued my early adopter traits in the GS4 but hesitated to upgrade to the GS5. In addition, some GS5 owners have experienced major issues. Unless there is a compelling reason, I am leaning towards waiting for the GS6. Please help with feedback and experiences now that the GS5 has been out a while.

Chief G-Hawk

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
I upgraded from an S4 to an S5. I went from an iPhone 4S to an S4 last year September. However, I was eligible for the AT&T NEXT program (apparently everyone on AT&T was given this option when AT&T first introduced it) and decided to get an S5. For me, I made the right choice in upgrading from an S4 to an S5. I got my S5 on 4/26/14 and so far have had no problems or issues with it. My S4 was very laggy and the battery on my S4 has been horrible.

I can't really complain with the S5 as my battery life on my S5 is awesome and is doing a lot better than my S4.

I also use the fingerprint to unlock my phone and have been using this since I got it and had no problem with it.

puremeerkat

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I went from an HTC One M7 to the S5 so not really relevant. But I do use the finger print scanner and the 801 chip handles any application easily. Also battery life is excellent. Better than my M7 and iPhone 5.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Were there any AT&T carrier bugs? How is the speed and the fluidity of the screen actions? How is the browser performance? Is TouchWiz really slimmed down?

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Were there any AT&T carrier bugs? How is the speed and the fluidity of the screen actions? How is the browser performance? Is TouchWiz really slimmed down?

Carrier bugs? no, but a lot of bloatware which is super easy to get rid of on the S5.

TouchWiz slimmed down?

It works better on the S5 than anything before. I used the 'S' phone for 3 years and had no issues with TouchWiz on it. They made it better every model change.

I tried out a couple of launchers and did not like the loss of the neat features that TouchWiz has, so went back to stock TouchWiz.

for me, it is just fine.

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site

I have AT&T as my carrier and I haven't had any issues with my S5. Most of the issues seem to be with Sprint. I get data speed of between 36 mbps to 38 mbps for the Grand Rapids, MI area. I use Apex and not TouchWiz, for my browser I use Dolphin and for the keyboard I use Swiftkey. I disabled all of the Samsung and AT&T bloatware. I have had my S5 since the AT&T launch date of April 11. I'm extremely happy with it.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
More questions....

Is the lagginess that was only very slight in previous models present in the GS5?
When disabling the bloatware, how?
How is the camera in low light conditions?
How is the screen in bright sunlight?
Is anyone using a hard case? Thinking of the Preserver or the Lifeproof Fre.

AshManMB

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
I switched from s4 to do because I actually ended up earning $160 IN THE PROCESS. .. owed $240 on s4 financing with tmo, sold s4 for $400. Got s5.

Loved s4. Love s5, but have minor issue. ..

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

PainFX

May 2, 2014
Visit site
The true question is how bad you want to upgrade your phone? If you could wait for another year for the s6 then good. If not get the s5 or the m8.

Posted via Android Central App

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Still thinking about upgrading to the GS5. Would have definitely pre-ordered if specs anticipated on the GS6 showed up on the GS5. It kills me not having the latest Samsung Galaxy S flagship. M8 or M9 not really an option as I am not a Sense fan.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci