Question about "Select Runtime System"

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
What is the difference between ART and Dalvik in the "Select Runtime System" in developer mode and how do they affect the Android operating system and my S5?

Sent from my Galaxy S5

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
What is the difference between ART and Dalvik in the "Select Runtime System" in developer mode and how do they affect the Android operating system and my S5?

Sent from my Galaxy S5

It is how the apps are set up for the OS. ART is easier on the OS than Dalvik is, but right now it is still somewhat in Beta. A lot of apps don't run well with it (more like they aren't coded for it)

This is more the layman explaination though. I don't understand it fully to give a more technical or precise breakdown.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
do a search for the terms "art versus dalvik " and you will get a lot of hits from good sources.

A word from Google

ART is a new Android runtime being introduced experimentally in the 4.4 release KitKat. This is a preview of work in progress in KitKat. It is available for the purpose of obtaining early developer and partner feedback. - Android developers
In other words, ART is still an ongoing project, considered too unstable to be introduced as a standard runtime. Luckily, there is no special hacking involved to get it running.
You can choose to use it by going to "Settings> Developer Options> Select Runtime" and choosing ART.

And this from a YouTube article:

Published on Nov 13, 2013
ART is a big deal. Standing for Android Runtime, it has the potential to make lower end devices blaze through apps, and will result in a smoother, faster experience for all Android users. Check it out! Only in Android 4.4.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan