Galaxy S5 Battery Life Problem: Please Help

marlap2000

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Ok so i recently got my galaxy s5 from Verizon (16 gb black) and it's an amazing phone but I went from a horrible phone to a smartphone as powerful as the android run galaxy s5. I've never really had any experience with any galaxy line devices, but it's only been a week since I got it and it has a bad battery life. If I sit on google chrome browsing the web for 5 minutes, it would cost me 4% battery life, and I have it set to low brightness. Also when I played a game like angry birds for 25 minutes, it dropped an easy 15%. I don't know if this is actually good battery life for a phone like this or it's just my galaxy because i really haven't seen anything like it. I would really like some tips if anything to help me out. Thanks.

MilitantRabbit

May 24, 2012
Visit site
That's normal. Games take a lot of processing power, and that power has to come form somewhere (The battery). The S5 has a really good processor, so it does better at processor intensive tasks. Plus, don't have unused apps running in the background all the time. They use battery too.

Kel M

May 23, 2014
Visit site
The battery is great but if you want more juice for games just get an extra standard battery or the new extended batteries on the market.

Sent from my Galaxy S5

Sabrina Fair

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
The battery is great but if you want more juice for games just get an extra standard battery or the new extended batteries on the market.

Sent from my Galaxy S5

I used to get almost 18 hours on a single charge if I did not use my phone. I do not use games or stream videos. I am also sure to close out any unused apps. Well now all of a sudden after 6 hours without use I am down to 76% percent. This is not normal for my phone. I did not install any new apps. Was thinking of doing a factory reset. Had the phone for about a month now...

Sabrina Fair

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Just for grins, do a Restart first before you go any farther.

Did it. Did not seem to have any impact. Went to the VZW store and the guy did a battery pull. He suggested I let the battery drain completely before I do a recharge...

I purchased a new battery. It did not arrive yet but I plan to install it and see if that resolves the situation.

Thanks for the suggestion!

~ SF

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Ok so i recently got my galaxy s5 from Verizon (16 gb black) and it's an amazing phone but I went from a horrible phone to a smartphone as powerful as the android run galaxy s5. I've never really had any experience with any galaxy line devices, but it's only been a week since I got it and it has a bad battery life. If I sit on google chrome browsing the web for 5 minutes, it would cost me 4% battery life, and I have it set to low brightness. Also when I played a game like angry birds for 25 minutes, it dropped an easy 15%. I don't know if this is actually good battery life for a phone like this or it's just my galaxy because i really haven't seen anything like it. I would really like some tips if anything to help me out. Thanks.

Well you should be able to get about 4+ hours of browsing and etc on one charge in a single day. If your S5 isn't managing a real-world battery life at least that long, you should look into what is using the most power. Same for the respondent whose battery life has gone down significantly already.

Android does a good job managing its RAM and making sure most apps 'pause' when the screen is off, BUT you can always try killing certain programs like the browser or any recent games on your list. A program that has been killed will take longer to start up, and use some power while doing so either way.

Battery kits are bulky for sure, but the extra confidence may be worth any discomfort. Or consider a wireless charging solution if it's on a desk next to you for longer periods rather than in a pocket.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I totally agree, there has to be some rogue apps that are really sucking up the juice.

Today was a rainy day on the job and me sitting and waiting for the rain to let up. Way out in the boonies away from the cell sites....

I surfed the net, pulled up all of the news apps I have, like CNN, USA Today, BBC, FoxNews, and I read everything thing they offered up today, including all of the video articles.

My battery was topped off at about 85% when I left home at 0500, and by 2:30 PM it was down to about 23%.

I think my screen time was about 5+ hours of heavy use and to still have 23-25% of the battery available after all of that? Not bad....

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I totally agree, there has to be some rogue apps that are really sucking up the juice.

Today was a rainy day on the job and me sitting and waiting for the rain to let up. Way out in the boonies away from the cell sites....

I surfed the net, pulled up all of the news apps I have, like CNN, USA Today, BBC, FoxNews, and I read everything thing they offered up today, including all of the video articles.

My battery was topped off at about 85% when I left home at 0500, and by 2:30 PM it was down to about 23%.

I think my screen time was about 5+ hours of heavy use and to still have 23-25% of the battery available after all of that? Not bad....

Exactly! The S5 is good, not that cooked-up 8.5hrs that PhoneArena claimed, but good. Which is why I was perturbed by that post about going from 2.5hrs SOT in 16 hrs to 2.5hrs SOT in 28 hrs...that poster has something nasty chewing on his battery.