Issues with the S5

keri2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
My husband and I both got our S5 on launch day from Verizon. His is being replaced because a metal piece fell down inside of the phone blocking the front facing camera. He has had similar issues to mine in respect to the camera lag but my phone has been much worse with other issues. I have performed a factory reset and am at my end. The problems I am having are as follows:

1. I keep getting a message that there are security updates for my phone. These messages show up in my notification bar at least once per week if not more. Upon trying to update, I get a message that it failed and then when I click on the link in the message I am sent to a non-existent page at Samsung.com. This isn't a horrible problem but extremely irritating.

2. My camera! Not only is it slow to open but sometimes the pictures can take upwards of 10 seconds to capture the picture. Not cool when I tried to take a picture of the Thunderbirds flying overhead and all I got was the sky. This is not my only problem. If I use the camera a lot and turn the screen off with out exiting the app, when I try to wake the phone up the screen is black and I have to remove the battery to reset the phone. Nothing else works. Also I have started getting the "camera failed" message. The only way to get the camera to work after that is to reboot. Here are some observations: when the black screen thing happens the camera is somehow engaged because I can no longer hear the rattling. When I get the camera failed message I can hear the rattling. It's almost as if the mechanism that engages the camera has errors. Just my two cents.

3. The phone is slow all around to include: the home button and going home, the camera app, waking the phone up, launching ANY keyboard in text blocks, launching other apps. Coming from an iPhone 4S this surprised me. It has been like this from day one. The home button on my iPhone responded faster than this phone. I have tried other launchers to include Nova and apex. Neither had an impact on the speed.

Do I have a dud? When I posted previously I was told the S5 should be way faster than my iPhone was. I have sent this list to Samsung and Verizon but really will they do something about it? Should I press Verizon to replace this phone? At this point I think I have a lemon. The errors and issues are becoming more frequent and now with the new camera failed message I am getting really peeved. I should be able to launch my camera and capture pics fast. Also, every time I see that stupid Samsung commercial when the girl on the beach is jumping in the air and the guy takes the picture instantly, I laugh out loud. My camera would never be able to capture that picture.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
For a quick reply, some of this stuff can be fixed, but the camera issues I don't think can be without exchanging the device. I woudl speak with Verizon about a replacement.

keri2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Can you tell me how to fix the security update failed message that keeps popping up in my notification bar? It's shown up twice today.

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Well after my hard reset this morning the camera no longer works at all so I am getting a replacement.

It's a Verizon issue. Hopefully you will come back to the S5, it's a remarkable phone, and I love mine. I had to exchange mine as well dude to another issue, but I feel your pain.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndoe11