GPS "Finding Location" Stays On

google47

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

I've had my Galaxy S5 since it came out and haven't had any issues with it yet. All of a sudden this evening I noticed that when I got to the lockscreen that the GPS icon appeared in my notification bar. When I dragged down the bar it said "finding location" which was unclearable from the notification list. After unlocking the screen, sometimes the GPS icon will go away, and other times it just stays there.

Does anyone know why it'd randomly start doing this now and never happened before? Any way I can get it to avoid doing that without turning my GPS off? I'm just concerned about it draining my battery life, but don't want to lose the benefits of GPS staying on.

Thanks!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't know if this is the same on the S5, but go to Settings>Location. You should see Mode. Click on it and select battery saving. That should still get you some access to location dependant apps but still not be like slaughtering your battery life.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I have had that occur once in a while, especially with an app called "I am here".

I use another app to get the GPS sync'd up with the satellites quickly, especially when there is a heavy cloud overcast. It is called GPS Status
=> https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ils?id=com.eclipsim.gpsstatus2&token=G-4lvVI5

What is neat about this app is that it contacts a database to get the current ephemeris which updates the phone's GPS "right now". Boom! The satellites lock in and the accuracy is unreal. For me, usually less than 13 meters.

google47

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: GPS "Finding Location" Stays On

I don't know if this is the same on the S5, but go to Settings>Location. You should see Mode. Click on it and select battery saving. That should still get you some access to location dependant apps but still not be like slaughtering your battery life.

Thank you very much for the tip! I checked out location settings and was able to fix it!

- - - Updated - - -

I have had that occur once in a while, especially with an app called "I am here".

I use another app to get the GPS sync'd up with the satellites quickly, especially when there is a heavy cloud overcast. It is called GPS Status
=> https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ils?id=com.eclipsim.gpsstatus2&token=v3NaBTwj

What is neat about this app is that iTt contacts a database to get the current ephemeris which updates the phone's GPS "right now". Boom! The satellites lock in and the accuracy is unreal. For me, usually less than 13 meters.

Thanks! I'm going to download that too

Andrew Starling

Apr 26, 2015
Visit site
I just got the S6 and the notification would be on all the time. just tried something new and I think it works. Don't know if this is on the S5 or not but here it is. Settings > Location > turn location on and choose google location (can't be chosen without location on) > you want google location turned off, that is was it causing it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay