11-04-2016 06:43 AM
64 123
tools
    I'm
    This might seem a bit harsh, but my children ONLY DID A THING ONCE and got a hard slap immediately when doing things wrong.

After that, they knew in advance if I told them NO, that I mean NO, and they will get a very nasty whipping if they do it again.

Raised two very smart kids, both have gone on and accomplished far greater things than I ever have. Very proud of them...

But, I do realize that in today's hypocritical world you are not allowed to admonish your children.
    this is exactly why there is so much wrong doing going on now. There is no retribution for kids doing wrong.

sorry, getting off topic... but .....
    Agree. If you don't discipline, they won't learn. It's not on others to parent your kids.
    07-11-2014 09:12 PM
    This might seem a bit harsh, but my children ONLY DID A THING ONCE and got a hard slap immediately when doing things wrong.

After that, they knew in advance if I told them NO, that I mean NO, and they will get a very nasty whipping if they do it again.

Raised two very smart kids, both have gone on and accomplished far greater things than I ever have. Very proud of them...

But, I do realize that in today's hypocritical world you are not allowed to admonish your children.
    this is exactly why there is so much wrong doing going on now. There is no retribution for kids doing wrong.

This is also how you create resentment, further aggression, and violence. Violence breeds violence. "Whipping" is what parents with inadequate skill sets do for lack of a better and more affective idea. Furthermore, studies show that children who are spanked generally have lower IQs.

Children Who Are Spanked Have Lower IQs, New Research Finds -- ScienceDaily

Dr. Oz: Spanking lowers IQ, raises aggression - HT Health

Study: Spanking lowers IQ, fosters aggression, depression | Deseret News

Children Who Get Spanked Have Lower IQs

Kids Who Get Spanked May Have Lower IQs
    07-11-2014 10:00 PM
    On topic, I'd do my best to keep it away from the kids as kids are inherently good with technology and always seem to find all the things that we don't want them to. If they really need something to play with that's similar to your phone, I'd suggest buying them an iPad Mini (or an Android tablet, if you'd prefer).
    07-11-2014 10:04 PM
    This is also how you create resentment, further aggression, and violence. Violence breeds violence. "Whipping" is what parents with inadequate skill sets do for lack of a better and more affective idea. Furthermore, studies show that children who are spanked generally have lower IQs.

Children Who Are Spanked Have Lower IQs, New Research Finds -- ScienceDaily

Dr. Oz: Spanking lowers IQ, raises aggression - HT Health

Study: Spanking lowers IQ, fosters aggression, depression | Deseret News

Children Who Get Spanked Have Lower IQs

Kids Who Get Spanked May Have Lower IQs
    While I know everyone has an opinion we probably don't want to dive into this topic .

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    rando991 likes this.
    07-12-2014 08:04 AM
    I'm a former 911 operator and I can't tell you how much this happens. It does take away from real emergencies because sometime kids call repeatedly. Even disconnected phones with an active battery can call 911 and those are really hard to trace so it makes a lot of wasted time and effort away from true emergencies. Please, please don't give those to your kids as toys.

Really? I don't pipe in often, but really? The OP was just making a point, not asking for parenting advice. Please don't use this forum to push your harsh option others. It's offensive. A parenting forum seems a little more appropriate.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    alhc78, anon8380037 and rando991 like this.
    07-12-2014 10:48 AM
    Edit: wrong topic.
    07-12-2014 04:48 PM
    deleted
    08-11-2014 10:23 AM
    I use an app called Toddler Lock. My son loves it and has no access to any phone functions.

Sent from my Galaxy S®5 using Android Central
    08-11-2014 05:03 PM
    Its not just a kid pressing it issue. I switched from the iPhone 5s to the S5 active. I love the phone but seriously considering to switch back to the iPhone 6. I have called 911 on my cell phone numerous times also. Just from being in my pocket. its seems like the heat from my leg will hit the button. The only work around i have figured out, is turning off passcode option, then the 911 button goes away. There is no way to keep the passcode on but not have that dumb 911 button. My iPhone was never this sensitive and i have turned off and lowered every setting on the phone regarding touch. my leg should not turn a phone on.
    08-11-2014 11:01 PM
    I have pocket dialed 911 with my S5 several times. This is a very aggravating feature for me and I am sure for the 911 center in my area. I liked the screen lock feature but it does have that darn emergency feature at the bottom, if you accidentally touch the emergency caller, then the 911 button is right directly below it ...so essentially you press the same spot twice and you have called 911. Samsung could have at least moved the 911 to the other side or something. Dang phone!!!!
    08-12-2014 04:42 AM
    But mine wants me to write the number

Posted via Android Central App
    08-12-2014 06:01 AM
    I've never pocket dialed anyone.. Not sure how people's phones are waking up and then hitting the buttons. Maybe just the style of pants?.. But iPhone.. Android.. Doesn't matter. I've never been able to Pocket dial.

Are you guys putting the phone in your pocket unlocked?

08-12-2014 08:41 AM
    Its not just a kid pressing it issue. I switched from the iPhone 5s to the S5 active. I love the phone but seriously considering to switch back to the iPhone 6. I have called 911 on my cell phone numerous times also. Just from being in my pocket. its seems like the heat from my leg will hit the button. The only work around i have figured out, is turning off passcode option, then the 911 button goes away. There is no way to keep the passcode on but not have that dumb 911 button. My iPhone was never this sensitive and i have turned off and lowered every setting on the phone regarding touch. my leg should not turn a phone on.
    I have pocket dialed 911 twice now... I can't figure out how, I've added contacts to the ICE hoping that would help but still did it once more.... this is something Samsung needs to address. I HATE getting the phone call back from 911 asking if everything is okay ...
    08-12-2014 07:29 PM
    I just bought an S5 Active and have accidentally dialed 911 in my pocket three times over the last month. The Police have contacted me to see if I am ok. Can someone tell me how to stop this from happening. I looked at the stores for a case, in which, I didn't find any that is for the active. I traded up from the Iphone and I never had this problem with Apple.

signed Frustrated
    08-19-2014 02:24 PM
    Use kids mode?

08-21-2014 11:17 PM
    I'm not seeing a 911 in the emergency dialer and I don't have any "ICE" contacts...the only way I can do it is manually dial it. Are you guys putting 911 in the "ICE" contacts?
    08-21-2014 11:31 PM
    Use kids mode?

Even in kids mode there is emergency dialer

Posted via the Android Central App
    Attached Thumbnails Accidental 911 Dialing-screenshot_2014-08-22-11-25-12.jpg  
    08-22-2014 03:25 AM
    Just curious.. How are you guys having the phone in your pocket? From the first post it looks like it takes 3 hits to call them.
    08-22-2014 08:44 AM
    My boyfriend and I both have the S5 Active and 911 has never been called while in pocket. He had a problem where the phone would unlock in his pocket and go to all sorts of apps, but a simple bumper case fixed that. Also, how does one get the keypad on their lock screen?
    08-23-2014 08:15 AM
    I've never pocket dialed anyone.. Not sure how people's phones are waking up and then hitting the buttons. Maybe just the style of pants?.. But iPhone.. Android.. Doesn't matter. I've never been able to Pocket dial.

Are you guys putting the phone in your pocket unlocked?

It is a known issue with the Galaxy S5... You keep commenting on having never done it, but you have a Note 3? That makes no sense. Do you have an S5?
    08-30-2014 10:42 AM
    This isnt a child issue. This is a samsung issue. My phone has called 911 multiple times while my pocket. This definitely needs to be a fix.

The best way I have found to avoid it is by not using a lock screen. With the lock screen, the 911 button is brought up on the screen as soon as the screen turns on. So for me, the main lower central button gets pushed when I bend over. Then the screen turns on and 911 is easily pushed by sensing my leg or hand. Bang, 911 called and they become very annoyed with you when this happens a bunch of times.

If you don't lock the screen the emergency 911 button isn't present, but the phone app is. I've moved the phone app a few pages in to lower the chances of making phantom calls. Even though it's annoying to have to swipe through to get to my phone, it's better than calling 911. Hopefully there will be a fix for this.
    08-30-2014 04:31 PM
    Didn't the new update address this issue??? Thought I read something about that.
    08-30-2014 05:51 PM
    It is a known issue with the Galaxy S5... You keep commenting on having never done it, but you have a Note 3? That makes no sense. Do you have an S5?
    I have.. And I've had plenty of other Samsung and HTC phones and never done it. So yes I'm on a Note 3 currently but I haven't ever had one phone do it.
    08-30-2014 06:41 PM
    I just recently did the update. It helped with the 911 call button on the lock screen. Now you have to hold and slide the button. Just like the camera button while on the lock screen. It seems it will be harder to call 911 by accident.
    08-31-2014 07:47 PM
    I just started using a Galaxy s5 active and had numerous problems with pocket calling. I was using swipe to unlock. Not only did it pocket dial, it also would sometimes send jarbled texts, change settings, and just cause problems overall. Then I decided to enable the 4 digit PIN. Seemed okay for a few days but last night it pocket dialed 911. I thought for sure that would keep me from pocket dialing people but obviously not. I noticed that once the phone screen is locked that little Emergency 911 icon is placed on the lock screen. While I'm glad I have the option to dial emergency services on my cellphone I think it's crazy that they force us to display it on the lock screen. I'd be fine with it if it wasn't a faulty implementation. My kid has never played with my cell phone. And I'm taking what I feel is reasonable effort to prevent pocket dialing. I don't even wear tight pants.

Before I bought the s5 Active I used an HTC Evo 4g. Not once in 2 years did I pocket dial someone. I'm not sure what to do about this. If I don't enable the PIN it's going to keep calling and texting people. IF I enable the PIN it's going to stick the damn 911 button on my lock screen.

Samsung needs to offer a fix for this. I enjoy the phone but I can't have all these random calls taking place.
    09-28-2014 07:01 AM
64 123