Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Just buy a tablet only wifi
Calling 911 is serious problem lead to many troubles

Last edited by a moderator:

Boyce_nectar

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
My wife and I both got the Galaxy S5 Active. So far so good, specially when you have children at home.

One of the problems we've had since switching is how easy is to dial 911 from the lock screen. Case in point, so far our 3 year old has called more than 5 times by accident just by pressing what he sees on the screen, not knowing what he's doing.

Called AT&T and they're saying they can't block 911 by law, which I understand. What concerns me is how EASY Samsung has made it for anyone to dial 911 via the ICE Address book. It's a special contact that is hidden in the Address Book and shows only there. I reached out to Samsung Support via twitter, and their response was not too promising. I've attached a screenshot of a proposed idea, but shot down. I wish they could take this more seriously.

Calling 911 is no joke and while hiding the phone from toddlers is an option, it can happen again.

View attachment 123578

In your defense I'm a landscaper and I purchased my S5 Active about a week ago for its durability and vivid screen while in direct sunlight. I've pocket dialed 911 three times this week solely from bouncing around in my pocket. There are no settings to prevent the quick keys from turning the screen on and it's so simple a small child can do it. Also an inner thy. So this is a major problem as I've been warned by my local PD I could have charges pressed if I don't put it to an end.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
In your defense I'm a landscaper and I purchased my S5 Active about a week ago for its durability and vivid screen while in direct sunlight. I've pocket dialed 911 three times this week solely from bouncing around in my pocket. There are no settings to prevent the quick keys from turning the screen on and it's so simple a small child can do it. Also an inner thy. So this is a major problem as I've been warned by my local PD I could have charges pressed if I don't put it to an end.

Remove the 911 then from the emergency call list if you can.. Or change it.

I've never had an issue with my phone screen unlocking in my pocket.. So not sure how to help with that.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

ahutchga1972

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
This might seem a bit harsh, but my children ONLY DID A THING ONCE and got a hard slap immediately when doing things wrong.

After that, they knew in advance if I told them NO, that I mean NO, and they will get a very nasty whipping if they do it again.

Raised two very smart kids, both have gone on and accomplished far greater things than I ever have. Very proud of them...

But, I do realize that in today's hypocritical world you are not allowed to admonish your children.
this is exactly why there is so much wrong doing going on now. There is no retribution for kids doing wrong.

sorry, getting off topic... but .....

+1,000

Posted via Android Central App

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm
This might seem a bit harsh, but my children ONLY DID A THING ONCE and got a hard slap immediately when doing things wrong.

After that, they knew in advance if I told them NO, that I mean NO, and they will get a very nasty whipping if they do it again.

Raised two very smart kids, both have gone on and accomplished far greater things than I ever have. Very proud of them...

But, I do realize that in today's hypocritical world you are not allowed to admonish your children.
this is exactly why there is so much wrong doing going on now. There is no retribution for kids doing wrong.

Agree. If you don't discipline, they won't learn. It's not on others to parent your kids.

JakePleasants

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site

This is also how you create resentment, further aggression, and violence. Violence breeds violence. "Whipping" is what parents with inadequate skill sets do for lack of a better and more affective idea. Furthermore, studies show that children who are spanked generally have lower IQs.

Children Who Are Spanked Have Lower IQs, New Research Finds -- ScienceDaily

Dr. Oz: Spanking lowers IQ, raises aggression - HT Health

Study: Spanking lowers IQ, fosters aggression, depression | Deseret News

Children Who Get Spanked Have Lower IQs

Kids Who Get Spanked May Have Lower IQs

JakePleasants

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
On topic, I'd do my best to keep it away from the kids as kids are inherently good with technology and always seem to find all the things that we don't want them to. If they really need something to play with that's similar to your phone, I'd suggest buying them an iPad Mini (or an Android tablet, if you'd prefer).

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
This is also how you create resentment, further aggression, and violence. Violence breeds violence. "Whipping" is what parents with inadequate skill sets do for lack of a better and more affective idea. Furthermore, studies show that children who are spanked generally have lower IQs.

Children Who Are Spanked Have Lower IQs, New Research Finds -- ScienceDaily

Dr. Oz: Spanking lowers IQ, raises aggression - HT Health

Study: Spanking lowers IQ, fosters aggression, depression | Deseret News

Children Who Get Spanked Have Lower IQs

Kids Who Get Spanked May Have Lower IQs

While I know everyone has an opinion we probably don't want to dive into this topic :).

awriternot

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm a former 911 operator and I can't tell you how much this happens. It does take away from real emergencies because sometime kids call repeatedly. Even disconnected phones with an active battery can call 911 and those are really hard to trace so it makes a lot of wasted time and effort away from true emergencies. Please, please don't give those to your kids as toys.

Really? I don't pipe in often, but really? The OP was just making a point, not asking for parenting advice. Please don't use this forum to push your harsh option others. It's offensive. A parenting forum seems a little more appropriate.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

redsoxfan26

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
I use an app called Toddler Lock. My son loves it and has no access to any phone functions.

Sent from my Galaxy S®5 using Android Central

Jason Smith29

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Its not just a kid pressing it issue. I switched from the iPhone 5s to the S5 active. I love the phone but seriously considering to switch back to the iPhone 6. I have called 911 on my cell phone numerous times also. Just from being in my pocket. its seems like the heat from my leg will hit the button. The only work around i have figured out, is turning off passcode option, then the 911 button goes away. There is no way to keep the passcode on but not have that dumb 911 button. My iPhone was never this sensitive and i have turned off and lowered every setting on the phone regarding touch. my leg should not turn a phone on.

KimmieJ54

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
I have pocket dialed 911 with my S5 several times. This is a very aggravating feature for me and I am sure for the 911 center in my area. I liked the screen lock feature but it does have that darn emergency feature at the bottom, if you accidentally touch the emergency caller, then the 911 button is right directly below it ...so essentially you press the same spot twice and you have called 911. Samsung could have at least moved the 911 to the other side or something. Dang phone!!!!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I've never pocket dialed anyone.. Not sure how people's phones are waking up and then hitting the buttons. Maybe just the style of pants?.. But iPhone.. Android.. Doesn't matter. I've never been able to Pocket dial.

Are you guys putting the phone in your pocket unlocked?

FormerTexan

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Its not just a kid pressing it issue. I switched from the iPhone 5s to the S5 active. I love the phone but seriously considering to switch back to the iPhone 6. I have called 911 on my cell phone numerous times also. Just from being in my pocket. its seems like the heat from my leg will hit the button. The only work around i have figured out, is turning off passcode option, then the 911 button goes away. There is no way to keep the passcode on but not have that dumb 911 button. My iPhone was never this sensitive and i have turned off and lowered every setting on the phone regarding touch. my leg should not turn a phone on.

I have pocket dialed 911 twice now... I can't figure out how, I've added contacts to the ICE hoping that would help but still did it once more.... this is something Samsung needs to address. I HATE getting the phone call back from 911 asking if everything is okay ...

Rick Weiner

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
I just bought an S5 Active and have accidentally dialed 911 in my pocket three times over the last month. The Police have contacted me to see if I am ok. Can someone tell me how to stop this from happening. I looked at the stores for a case, in which, I didn't find any that is for the active. I traded up from the Iphone and I never had this problem with Apple.

signed Frustrated