Rooting Questions - Verizon S5

Christopher Hoffman

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
So after many years of being away from android and living in the apple world, I am back with a brand new S5 on verizon.

From what i have read, things have changed about rooting.

A few questions:

is there a way to root it and not trip the knox flag?

does rooting still kill wifi tether?

is wifi tether and OTA's both doable with rooting now?

if i root my phone will i have access to change and add widgets to the home screen?

Do we know if i can just wipe the phone and install a fresh copy of kitkat and not have know or a locked bootloader anymore?

Last edited:

Ironhead2244

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Using the towelroot method should not trip KNOX. I rooted my AT&T S5 using towelroot and my counter still says 0x0.

Hello sorry if this is a stupid question. But I am new to this. I also rooted my at&t s5 with towel root. What did you mean by your counter still reads 0x0? What is that and where do I find it? Thank you in advance.

Posted via Android Central App

Chief G-Hawk

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
Hello sorry if this is a stupid question. But I am new to this. I also rooted my at&t s5 with towel root. What did you mean by your counter still reads 0x0? What is that and where do I find it? Thank you in advance.

Go to Google Play Store and download " Phone Info * Samsung* by VNDNGUYEN and you can then find out some information. As long as you don't install custom rom it shouldn't trigger it. I installed xposed and that does not trigger the KNOX Warranty Void Counter.

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Go to Google Play Store and download " Phone Info * Samsung* by VNDNGUYEN and you can then find out some information. As long as you don't install custom rom it shouldn't trigger it. I installed xposed and that does not trigger the KNOX Warranty Void Counter.

Have you had any issues with S Health crashing after installing Xposed? And if you dint mind my asking, what modules have you installed in Xposed? Thanks

Chief G-Hawk

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
Have you had any issues with S Health crashing after installing Xposed? And if you dint mind my asking, what modules have you installed in Xposed? Thanks

I don't use S health so I freezed S Health using titanium backup. So I wouldn't know. If you visit xda forum there is a list of apps that are safe to freeze/disable and/or deleting them. But for me I don't plan on going as far as removing them. I'm still new to rooting and still learning but I currently use wanamp xposed.

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I don't use S health so I freezed S Health using titanium backup. So I wouldn't know. If you visit xda forum there is a list of apps that are safe to freeze/disable and/or deleting them. But for me I don't plan on going as far as removing them. I'm still new to rooting and still learning but I currently use wanamp xposed.

Ok thanks. I have read the forums in XDA on Xposed and the apps they say can be disabled/frozen/deleted with Titanium BU. I with you on just freezing the apps, its safer for sure. On the S Health issue, the recommendation is to edit a build prop file, not sure I'm real comfortable with that, waiting for more results I guess.

Ironhead2244

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

Got it. Mine reads the same 0x0. Thank you for the help.

zdc26z

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
For the S Health problem, I edited my build.prop following these instructions I found online, everything now works wonderfully!
  1. Make sure the Xposed isn’t installed.
  2. We need to change build.prop file inside the system partition, you can also get it done manually by using a file manager app or get a build prop editor on play store.
  3. Once you find the build.prop file, look for the “ro.securestorage.support=true” line.
  4. Now change the line to “ro.securestorage.support=false”.
  5. Install the Xposed framework again.
  6. The final step is wiping S Health app data, head to System -> App Manager -> ALL -> S Health then wipes the data. Now your Galaxy S5 should be able to runs Xposed framework and S Health simultaneously without any problems.

xmguy1

May 18, 2011
Visit site
For the S Health problem, I edited my build.prop following these instructions I found online, everything now works wonderfully!
  1. Make sure the Xposed isn’t installed.
  2. We need to change build.prop file inside the system partition, you can also get it done manually by using a file manager app or get a build prop editor on play store.
  3. Once you find the build.prop file, look for the “ro.securestorage.support=true” line.
  4. Now change the line to “ro.securestorage.support=false”.
  5. Install the Xposed framework again.
  6. The final step is wiping S Health app data, head to System -> App Manager -> ALL -> S Health then wipes the data. Now your Galaxy S5 should be able to runs Xposed framework and S Health simultaneously without any problems.

I'm not new to Android or rooting. Am new to Knox with my S5. If I edit the build prop for S Health fix or edit anything with Root Explorer does that trip Knox (it's frozen in Titanium Backup), or is it only installing custom recovery and roms? I've installed Nandroid online backup..but this Knox stuff has made me anxious on that too.

Thanks

jwrosen

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
So I just rooted my Verizon S5 to avoid the OTA and other things and now my battery life is no where near what it used to be before I used towel root and I can't figure out why or what could be causing this?!? Anyone else have this issue? Any advice? I'm also thinking that the temperature of the phone gets higher than it used to just doing standard stuff?!?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles