SMS/MMS

PainFX

May 2, 2014
Visit site
What are you guys using?

I'm looking for something fast, doesn't crash, send picture messages fine, pop up text while using an app and also be able to respond without closing an app.

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
It doesn't have a pop up text for quick reponse though.

Pre-set quick response, no. But I can type a response in the popup window without leaving whatever I'm doing at the moment and that works for me. I've used Textra and Chomp in the past, they have similar functions to what you're asking about but I kinda like the stock samsung app better.

jmagid51

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
I use the stock messenger as it works well for me. Both SMS and MMS are handled well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AC Forums mobile app

iphone5s

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
What I like about the stock app is that it works very well and it displays the number of messages as a badge on the app icon, like I was accustomed to on ios.

I tried a few of the popular ones like handecent, chomp and textra but came back to the built in app for it's pleasant interface and solid performance.

I'm trying to go completely native on the SG5 and so far I haven't been disappointed with Samsung's offerings out of the box.

diamondRanch

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
My very best combo is the stock sms app with glowfly for pop up. The after market sms apps have pop ups but are never as reliable for me sending mms.

Glowfly Pop Up app also shows mms on the pop up, which I really liked about the other after market sms apps and missed on other just pop up apps.

Posted via Android Central App

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I am using GoSMS Pro and love it.

If I get a text while the phone is asleep, I get a beep.

I press the power button and the message is displayed on top of the lockscreen. I can answer that message w/o having to unlock the lockscreen.

Once thru with that message though, the normal 'unlock' is required to get into the phone.

diamondRanch

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
I heard good reviews on Textra and Chomp. Any reviews on those?

I would choose Chomp over Handcent. I used both, each for couple years. Handcent FOR ME constantly didn't send text, but then would send them every time I rebooted days later, ugh.

Chomp was way better and more reliable, but I really liked the mms picture preview in my pop ups.
So like I said I use stock with Glowfly. But if you like Chomp you can still use the Glowfly and disable Chomp's pop up, IF you want mms picture in your pop up.

Posted via Android Central App

mconigs78

Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
I've been using textra free and haven't had any issues . I like the smooth scrolling compared to the stock app it's choppy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AC Forums mobile app

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I heard good reviews on Textra and Chomp. Any reviews on those?

Both are good and both are made by the same developer. I've used ChompSMS for years and love it. I can't live without that quick reply :p.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't even know the difference between the two. Does SMS do something MMS doesn't do or vice versa? I used to get about 10 texts a month. Now my 32 year old daughter has decided to "unplug" because smart phones are making us dumb. Now I get roughly 1 text a month :eek:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't even know the difference between the two. Does SMS do something MMS doesn't do or vice versa? I used to get about 10 texts a month. Now my 32 year old daughter has decided to "unplug" because smart phones are making us dumb. Now I get roughly 1 text a month :eek:

SMS is text so basically letters and words.

MMS is pictures / videos.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

iphone5s

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Now my 32 year old daughter has decided to "unplug" because smart phones are making us dumb. Now I get roughly 1 text a month :eek:

I think she's onto something that's trending now. Go with it.

We used to call it "sneaker-net" when we just walked down the hall or the street to talk to somebody instead of using text or email. [when the network was down] :)