Thinking of switching to Sprint

Jtshurtleff

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I currently have an iPhone 5s on AT&T but our bill is about $130 a month and we are expecting a child in October so we wanted to cut down on our expenditures. I looked into all of the cell companies and figured out we can get a discount on Sprint through my work that has us paying $50 a month for a year and then $90 after that. My question is does the Sprint GS5 have any features the other carriers don't have on theirs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
i was with Sprint from 2008-2013. i live in a major metro area. i switched to AT&T about 8 months ago. AT&T's LTE speed and coverage is night and day vs. Sprint. Sprint is terrible.

IMO if you are looking for the best value you should take your iPhone 5S to a Walmart store and sign up for StraightTalk with an AT&T 4G LTE SIM Card for $45/Month. i think it should work. if not you can try AT&T GoPhone prepaid service ($60/Month).

OR consider a Moto G LTE or a Nexus 5 (buy direct from Moto or Google).

either way - you should stick with AT&T but go PREPAID.

check out this thread -

http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...us-5-prepaid-cost-savings-over-24-months.html

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...A%2F%2Fwww.straighttalk.com%2F&token=CGIIOI_W

this all assumes you are not married to the idea of buying an S5.

good luck.

Last edited:

_YoKolorMeBadd

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Jtshurtleff said:
I currently have an iPhone 5s on AT&T but our bill is about $130 a month and we are expecting a child in October so we wanted to cut down on our expenditures. I looked into all of the cell companies and figured out we can get a discount on Sprint through my work that has us paying $50 a month for a year and then $90 after that. My question is does the Sprint GS5 have any features the other carriers don't have on theirs?

Have you looked into T-Mobile. They're next in line for the cheapest cell phone carriers. Check to see if your job only gets discounts with Sprint or if you can get a discount with another carrier. Also like the previous poster above me stated, Sprint is beyond horrible. I understand that they are the cheapest but what's the use of saving money if you can't use their services? I know a lot of people that had Sprint and I've heard nothing but complaints with them, except for maybe one person. Most people move either to Verizon or AT&T, and more and more people are also moving to T-Mobile because of the unlimited data and cheap plans. Frankly, I don't know how Sprint is still in business.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forum Fiend v1.2.8.

jaleesag88

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
I had Sprint and I definitely got what I paid for in most areas. Where we live, service was excellent but 10 miles down the road where my boyfriend worked and everywhere I would travel for work (within an hour any way) service was super unreliable. I depend on my phone for GPS and to receive phone calls of course and I couldn't tell you how many times I got lost or missed an important phone call. We switched to AT&T in November, and service is like night and day! We actually pay less with AT&T than we did with Sprint.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I used to have a sponsored plan with my employer and it was with my current carrier, Verizon.

It only discounted the 1st phone, it did not discount the 2nd phone(s)

Be careful to consider all that has been mentioned.

Sprint might be cheaper, but you must consider the area you will be in. If you don't have coverage, what good is it?

There was a thread on here a while back about a guy who used an app that made his phone "always roam" because the other carriers had service, but Sprint did not (LTE/4g) and the weak Sprint signals would be 1x and his phone would not release the Sprint site and use the 4g signals from the better carriers.

After 2 months of him only roaming, Sprint broke his contract for him.
Made him a happy camper and he went to the big 4g carriers smiling.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Sprint works well in my area, had them since 1999.

Give it the 14 day trial and test your area

Sent from my EVO using AC Forums mobile app

joehp1

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Had sprint for 20+ years. Worst service, even though I had unlimited data. But, the battery was always draining because I could never even get 3g, let alone 4g service. Where ever I went, never had good signal. But, friends on Verizon always had 4g. So what's the point of having unlimited data if you cannot even get a signal!!!!!!! Was paying $170 for 2 lines. Switched to Verizon, get 4g everywhere AND my bill for 2g data is only $130. Love it...should have made the switch years ago. With Sprint...promises, promises with NO delivery!!!!!

Jtshurtleff

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Sprint is $50 a month for both lines with my wife. T-Mobile is $82, not unlimited and not including the $50 a month I'll have to pay for the phones I want or currently have. I live in Canton Ga and work near Atlanta. I remember their coverage being pretty decent back in 2007 when I had them briefly.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
My son's current service is with Sprint. He is always having troubles loosing connections.

He is changing to a different carrier just to get rid of Sprint.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Yeah it's a give and take... You'll save on the cash but the service could be horrible for your area.

If you truly want to save cash though.. Mine as well.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
If you've got T-Mobile in your area, they are a pretty decent company to have. I like their stable call quality and good data speeds where I live and work. I just don't like that they don't cover me if I leave the city. I work for Boost Mobile and Sprint gets horrible call quality and data speeds in city. Only time they excel is out in the country area around my city.

Sent from a larger than life device using Tapatalk!

Bobby Heffner

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
You get what you pay for. Verizon or At&t is the way to go. Dont you wnat to have service to receive important calls, like when your child is about to be born. with sprint you're probably gonna miss that call.

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
There are some very good websites that rate your cell carrier coverage by area/zip code.

Here's one: 3G and 4G LTE Cell Coverage Map - OpenSignal

Another: CellReception | Find a better signal.

As others have said, you may have the most up-to-date superphone but if you have a crappy signal it's worthless.

FWIW I've heard nothing but horror stories about Sprint's service. AT&T used to be awful but they have come a long way and are now nipping at the heels of Verizon. But if you want the best, Verizon is still the way to go.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
one of the reasons i love AT&T because of their open, unlocked GSM network which allows you to use any unlocked GSM phone. Verizon refuses to be a dumb pipe and wants to jam all of their proprietary crap down your throat whether you like it or not.

i like choice and freedom.

frag06

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site

I've never had Sprint, but I haven't heard many good stories about their service.

As for T-Mobile, I switched to them not too long ago, but switched back to AT&T almost immediately. T-Mobile's prices are great, but their service isn't. Signal was great at my home, but at work, it was non-existent. Even though T-Mobile's coverage map showed my work area in an "Excellent" coverage area. The entire city was in an "Excellent" coverage area, actually, but I couldn't get a signal whether I was inside or outside. Same with every phone I tested.

However, as they are now offering a free seven day "test drive" with an iPhone 5s, I would suggest you give them a try. It is risk free, I believe, unless you break the iPhone. If your current iPhone 5s is unlocked, you may be able to bring it to T-Mobile, if you choose to switch.

If none of these options appeal to you, I suggest you take a look at StraightTalk. You can use AT&T's network, and if your iPhone is unlocked, you can probably use it on StraightTalk. You can also buy an unlocked phone and use it, if you want, as long as it is compatible with their network. It is $45 a month per phone -- taxes included, I believe, so a flat $45 -- for unlimited everything. The only downside is that their unlimited data is actually only 3GB. After 3GB, you can still use data, but it will be slowed; probably to 2G speeds.

Last edited:

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
StraightTalk. The only downside is that LTE speeds are capped at 7 Mbps, at least for AT&T's network, and their unlimited data is actually only 3GB. After 3GB, you can still use data, but it will be slowed; probably to 2G speeds.

are you sure about this 7MBPS cap? source?

frag06

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
are you sure about this 7MBPS cap? source?

No, but I have read about it before. I'll try and find the source.

Edit: I was thinking of Cricket Wireless. Their data speeds are capped at 8 Mbps for LTE and 4 Mbps for HSPA.

I will correct my post.

Last edited:

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc