Wireless charging pad

woahohkelsey

May 4, 2014
Visit site
If anyone is looking for one that doesn't disrupt the water resistance, I just received this. Black Qi Standard Wireless Charger Charging Pad Receiver for Samsung Galaxy S5 | eBay

It's super thin and it doesn't seem like it effects my phone back at all. The wire that came with it didn't work, but I had a spare microUSB to use. It's just a sticker that you connect to the wireless charging ports. Haven't tried it with my otterbox on yet, but it works very nicely with no case. Very excited to not have to use the charging flap anymore.

scobb

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for pointing that out. Yes, the receiver looks really thin. Are there any components that you can see? Any bumps other than the two connecting pins?

How quickly does it charge?

woahohkelsey

May 4, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for pointing that out. Yes, the receiver looks really thin. Are there any components that you can see? Any bumps other than the two connecting pins?

How quickly does it charge?

I don't know what you mean by the components question. Sorry - pretty new to smartphones! Went from a BB to the S5 :)
Pretty quickly. So far it looks about the same as when you use the USB port, maybe a teeny bit slower (but to be fair I've been taking it on and off to text/gone to the store.)

frag06

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
If anyone is looking for one that doesn't disrupt the water resistance, I just received this. Black Qi Standard Wireless Charger Charging Pad Receiver for Samsung Galaxy S5 | eBay

It's super thin and it doesn't seem like it effects my phone back at all. The wire that came with it didn't work, but I had a spare microUSB to use. It's just a sticker that you connect to the wireless charging ports. Haven't tried it with my otterbox on yet, but it works very nicely with no case. Very excited to not have to use the charging flap anymore.

I think it would be better to just buy the S5 Wireless Charging Cover.

woahohkelsey

May 4, 2014
Visit site
Oh, I see.

I can definitely understand you wanting to use a case. The S5 isn't the most durable phone.

Exactly. Like I said, it's my first smartphone, I want to take care of it. Plus, the little sticker I bought isn't too hard to apply/charge with. It didn't change the size of my phone whatsoever so I'm happy. I wanted to suggest this for people who want wireless charging, but want to use a case/not change their water resistance.

Chief G-Hawk

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
I do have an OEM Wireless charging back cover on mine and I do have a case. But the case is an Aluminum Bumper which fits perfectly fine on my S5 with the wireless back cover on. Though it is semi-naked but even the wireless back charger acts as a case as it protects the camera area.

So yes, there are some cases that may fit with the wireless charging back cover on.

In addition, I never liked using third-party parts going into my device (cases excluded). Charging cable, wall adaptor are all original from the box provided by Samsung.

Last edited:

woahohkelsey

May 4, 2014
Visit site
I do have an OEM Wireless charging back cover on mine and I do have a case. But the case is an Aluminum Bumper which fits perfectly fine on my S5 with the wireless back cover on. Though it is semi-naked but even the wireless back charger acts as a case as it protects the camera area.

So yes, there are some cases that may fit with the wireless charging back cover on.

In addition, I never liked using third-party parts going into my device (cases excluded). Charging cable, wall adaptor are all original from the box provided by Samsung.

I should have been more specific - I know there are bumpers that fit, but I'm talking about more full on cases. I'm using a Spigen NeoHybrid and want to keep using it.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Please keep us updated on the details of this wireless charger. The price (for both parts) of $19 is very tempting. I want to go wireless but HAVE to have a case. I'm using the Spigen Ultra Hybrid. I'd be interested to know if it gets hotter than charging with the cord it comes with. How long it takes to fully charge? Does the charge last as long? Does it turn off when it reaches full charge? Etc
Thanks!

woahohkelsey

May 4, 2014
Visit site
Please keep us updated on the details of this wireless charger. The price (for both parts) of $19 is very tempting. I want to go wireless but HAVE to have a case. I'm using the Spigen Ultra Hybrid. I'd be interested to know if it gets hotter than charging with the cord it comes with. How long it takes to fully charge? Does the charge last as long? Does it turn off when it reaches full charge? Etc
Thanks!

It does get a little hotter, but not worringly so (at least for me. I think it's pretty nromal.) It takes a little longer to charge, too, which I've heard is normal for wireless. The charge does last as long, yes. I've been so excited over it that I've been topping it off whenever I notice. It seems like it turns off. The screen shows 'Charged' and I don't think it'll charge past that, but I'm not 100% sure.

JimA

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I have tried both the Samsung cover and an aftermarket receiver. I don't like Samsung's cover because I have broken too many phones and now prefer to use the otterbox. The problems I have with the Qi receivers are first, if you take a look at the pic from eBay and below, you'll see that part of the receiver goes into the seal area. I haven't seen one yet that doesn't overlap the seal area. Secondly, while the Samsung charger is bulky, the receiver itself seems to cover nearly all the back side, making it easier to set down on the charger without having to make sure everything is lined up correctly, whereas with my receiver that I currently use (and this one on eBay), unless your charger has a big pad, you'll need to make sure everything is lined up correctly.

Qi.jpg

f308gt4

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I've got the OEM back cover and much prefer it to the non-oem insert. I have a diztronic case on mine, which I've been able to get to fit by stretching with a heat gun. It works OK for now. I read on another forum that Diztronic is making a case specifically to fit the OEM charging back. The ETA for the case is in a month. I will continue to use the case I have until then, and then purchase the one made specifically for the OEM charging back.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
there is no need period to buy a thicker cover or spend a lot of money....

The OP's Qi charger appears to be the same as the one I ordered.

It is a very thin Mylar film that contains the coil and charge regulator chips.

$18.99 and it will charge the phone in about 4 or 5 hours.

It goes from 60% to 100% in about 2 hours.... I never clocked any other charging times.

I lay the phone on the Qi pad and go to sleep.... it is always at 100% when I take it off.

* Qi Standard Wireless Charger kit 'mine'

OH, there is a bonus. It comes with the PAD!!!

woahohkelsey

May 4, 2014
Visit site
there is no need period to buy a thicker cover or spend a lot of money....

The OP's Qi charger appears to be the same as the one I ordered.

It is a very thin Mylar film that contains the coil and charge regulator chips.

$18.99 and it will charge the phone in about 4 or 5 hours.

It goes from 60% to 100% in about 2 hours.... I never clocked any other charging times.

I lay the phone on the Qi pad and go to sleep.... it is always at 100% when I take it off.

* Qi Standard Wireless Charger kit 'mine'

OH, there is a bonus. It comes with the PAD!!!

Looks like the same. And contrary to what someone else said, it doesn't effect the seal at all. The one in the picture is a little different (mine is smaller) so no worries there.

Chief G-Hawk

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site

Keep in mind that the one you linked to is different QI receiver pad than the one OP and other posted. But I would be very interested if someone actually tests this under water for about 10 minutes or so using the same exact products the OP and other is using. I'm sure someone can test it with the dummy S5.

But for me I'll stick to my OEM wireless charger. Sure it does add a bit of bulkiness but it has a better grip and I prefer it that way.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney