In case you're wondering how tough the S5 is

guitarfish

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
I got my S5 last week, it arrived before I received a case, so I figured I’d just be extra careful for a few days. (You know where this is going…)

The S5 is hands down the most awesome phone I’ve ever had. After using it all weekend, I have declared it the virtually perfect smartphone.

I was getting in my car this morning, in my garage, you know, that place with the solid concrete floor. As I opened the car door, somehow I bonked the door with my phone and I immediately lost my grip on it. (Is it just me, or are most smartphones are as slippery as a bar of soap when not cased?) I watched in pseudo-slow-motion as the S5 went base jumping. It’s hyper-gravitational dive was halted by the pavement.

I don’t know what the odds are, but you could not have asked for a more perfect landing. 10.0 !! It landed flat on its back, screen up. The force of the impact caused the back cover to come off, which is pretty amazing considering the effort needed to pull it apart intentionally. The phone “bounced” up in the air, turned 180 degrees over and landed screen down, perfectly flat. The back cover and battery (which popped out) were lying on the floor next to it. I wanted to cry. I have no insurance on this thing...

I reached down and picked up Humpty Dumpty’s pieces. I expected the screen to be shattered. To my amazement, it was flawless. Front, back, everything – completely flawless, literally not a scratch or scrape anywhere. I can’t be this fortunate, I thought. This was about a five foot drop.

I put the battery in, cover on, and paused for a moment of silence before I pressed the power button. No way this thing comes on.... It powered up and in 5 seconds I was at the home screen (this thing boots super fast).

When I arrived at work, the new case was sitting there on my desk. It's been 14 hours, everything is working just fine. It’s like it never happened.

Oh, my phone has a “tempered glass” screen protector that the seller put on it. I’m trying to find out what brand it was, because it is AMAZING. I will never use those plastic screen covers again. Definitely look into these.

So, I don't recommend dropping the S5, but if you do, I hope you're as fortunate as I was.

teristark

May 27, 2014
Visit site
:D Sorry to laugh but that is a great story. I would have hyperventilated and needed CPR. People likes their phones sleek and sexy and that translates into smooth and slippery. I wonder why this is when we immediately dress them out in some bulky, gawdy shell? :confused: Glad it ended well for you because I hate reading the sad stories of bricked/cracked/fried phones. :'(

scipper77

May 6, 2014
Visit site
I had my thunderbolt for three years and dropped it one time where I wasn't able to kick save it, you know where you stick your foot in the way so it hits your foot instead of the ground. Then I set it on a table at work and a coworker slid something on the table and the phone dropped to the concrete below. I was fortunate that the phone was fine after that but I decided that that would be my last case less phone.

My S5 has a spigen neo hybrid case and a luvvitt glass screen protector and I still treat it as carefully as when I had a phone with no case. Even knowing that I am someone who is very good at keeping a phone, only a fool thinks that nothing bad will happen because they are careful. Sooner or later that case and screen protector is going to pay for itself.

guitarfish

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
LOL at "kick save", I've done that a few times with my S4. I'm using the Sedio Surface case which has a little kickstand doohickey on the back. Nice case.

HAWK

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
One of the most detailed and well written drop stories I've read yet.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using AC Forums mobile app

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm happy it ended well for you! You should've bought a lottery ticket that day! ;)

Sent From Inside The TARDIS With My Galaxy S5

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Caseless but insured on my G Flex. It doesn't want to leave my hand and it doesn't want to crawl out of my back pocket. And the biggest thing that ever felt good in my hand.

tippmann15

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
The more and more I buy all these cases, the more I consider squaretrade or something like it.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Perfect "drop story" and well written.

I could just see your phone cart wheeling thru the air to the concrete floor.

"Been there, Done that" myself.

Likewise, no insurance on my phones either, never buy into that gimmick. A co-worker has spent twice the amount his phone costs in just replacement fees lately on his S4. He is the clumsiest person I know, or unlucky...

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Any way you can post a picture of the screen protector on the device or is the S5 your only camera? We may be able to tell by the cutout of the protector on top and bottom.

I'm using Zagg Glass and it's outstanding. I'd never go without one.

rcca

May 17, 2014
Visit site
Been there done that on my Galaxy Reverb, tuff little bugger, had dropped it on the back and the screen, had to put it all back together, works like a charm, wife will be using it, has the factory screen protector on it still. I got the great S4, love it. Has the Zagg protector on it, life time. A small store at our mall beat BB on the price and installing it. Yep! you guessed dropped that one too, back and screen side, not a scratch, or ding. I have read the S4 is a little more breakable than most phones.
Glad guitarfish that your S5 is OK, your heart drops to your feet when you see your Phone leaving your hand to the ground.

troshs

Trusted Member
Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I have an Otterbox Defender. I went a month without a case on my S5 (had to do the same with the S4 due to budget). Before I got my case, I think it was about a week after my upgrade, and I was in the restroom at work. Phone wasn't in my pocket right and I hit a double (no maybe triple) whammy. It fell out of my pocket and bounced on the toilet seat and I am thinking at this point "oh God if this falls in the toilet...." but before I could finish the thought it went forward and hit the tile floor. I thought for sure from the sound that it wasn't gonna look happy, but not a single blemish. So two impacts and it almost taking a swim in the wrong place. I didn't want to get a Defender originally because I thought it would be too bulky but I found I don't mind it, it's not as bad as I thought. Plus the added protection makes it peaceful inside my head :)

Posted via Android Central App

IBMJunkman

May 10, 2014
Visit site
One of the first things we learned in high school machine shop was to NOT kick save something. :) Toes don't win against a 10-12 lb lathe chuck.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SandiR