07-11-2014 05:49 PM
46 12
tools
    Does anyone know if WiFi calling is available yet on the galaxy s5? Is anyone using it yet on their s5?

Posted via Android Central App
    06-24-2014 11:22 AM
    If nothing else, there are 3rd party apps that do WiFi calling. I've used GrooVe IP successfully.
    06-24-2014 11:34 AM
    Does anyone know if WiFi calling is available yet on the galaxy s5? Is anyone using it yet on their s5?

The latest update (NE5) includes wifi calling and it works great. No one seems to have gotten the OTA yet but if you want to install it via Odin it's available on the XDA forums. AFAIK, you would have to be rooted though.
    06-24-2014 11:52 AM
    The latest update (NE5) includes wifi calling and it works great. No one seems to have gotten the OTA yet but if you want to install it via Odin it's available on the XDA forums. AFAIK, you would have to be rooted though.
    I haven't seen the OTA yet, I was looking on XDA for a zip, but haven't seen one. I always seemed to find the Zips for my SIII when it rolled out, I never actually took an OTA update from Sprint.
    06-24-2014 03:30 PM
    I haven't seen the OTA yet, I was looking on XDA for a zip, but haven't seen one. I always seemed to find the Zips for my SIII when it rolled out, I never actually took an OTA update from Sprint.
    If you are not rooted, this is the one you want. XDA Link
    If you are rooted, there are a few custom roms with NE5 baked in. My personal favorite is MOAR v1.0. It just came out over the weekend but it's rock solid.
    06-24-2014 03:47 PM
    Thanks, I haven't used Odin before, guessing I can't load this via the stock recovery console can I?
    06-24-2014 03:53 PM
    I just got an OTA update about 15 minutes ago .I now have Wi Fi calling but the Android version is still 4.4.2
    06-24-2014 11:56 PM
    I have Sprint and have been able to call and use my WiFi at same time since I got it. Is that what you mean?

GoreJak likes this.
    06-25-2014 01:33 AM

Here you go...the latest:
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...s5-update.html
    06-25-2014 01:37 AM
    I have Sprint and have been able to call and use my WiFi at same time since I got it. Is that what you mean?

Hey...off topic, but that German Shepard is gorgeous! I have a White German Shepard.
    diamondRanch likes this.
    06-25-2014 01:38 AM
    Hey...off topic, but that German Shepard is gorgeous! I have a White German Shepard.
    Also off topic... Nice! I haven't seen a white German Shepard before. I have a white Siberian Husky.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    diamondRanch likes this.
    06-25-2014 10:09 AM

No they mean wifi calling which is where it uses the wifi you're on for the call versus the cell network.

diamondRanch likes this.
    06-25-2014 10:10 AM
    I got the OTA today when I checked for updates, but I'm at work and the WiFi access point is always slammed to capacity and I can't connect. I'll try it at home.
    06-25-2014 10:55 AM
    So what does WIFI calling actually do anyway?

Does it simply re-route your phone call over a WIFI connection instead of a cell connection? Can you call ANYONE you would normally call with WIFI calling? Even if the person you're calling doesn't use WIFI calling? Can you receive non-WIFI calls over WIFI?

Does it use your Sprint phone# and plan minutes? Or is it a completely separate service?
    06-25-2014 11:07 AM
    So what does WIFI calling actually do anyway?
    No they mean wifi calling which is where it uses the wifi you're on for the call versus the cell network.

This. It uses your wifi as the cell tower... That's it. Everything functions as if that wifi connection is a sprint cell tower.

06-25-2014 11:56 AM

Does it use your Sprint phone# and plan minutes? Or is it a completely separate service?
    It doesn't use minutes or texts from the plan. I have a limited minute plan which I never really use, everything else is unlimited, so not a huge impact. However, Sprint just announced opening it up internationally, so this is going to be great when traveling internationally.
    06-25-2014 12:06 PM
    It doesn't use minutes or texts from the plan. I have a limited minute plan which I never really use, everything else is unlimited, so not a huge impact. However, Sprint just announced opening it up internationally, so this is going to be great when traveling internationally.
    You sure on this? I know with T-Mobile it uses the wifi as a cell tower and that's it... Calls and texts are still logged regardless.

Edit - nope you're right... Sprint's wifi calling doesn't use minutes. Nice!

06-25-2014 03:05 PM
    Yep, I'm just hoping international is the same, it does say in https://community.sprint.com/baw/com...wifi%20calling that international calls have international rates apply, but I'm hoping since I plan to use it to dial US numbers it will still be free from outside the US.
    06-25-2014 03:13 PM
    Why is this a big deal? My Bf's phone from 2007 does wifi calling....what phone doesn't?
    06-25-2014 03:15 PM
    Why is this a big deal? My Bf's phone from 2007 does wifi calling....what phone doesn't?
    It's new for Sprint. For T-Mobile it's been around awhile.

06-25-2014 03:31 PM
    It's new for Sprint. For T-Mobile it's been around awhile.

Oh Sprint...yeah.....sigh.....
    06-25-2014 03:58 PM
    Is there a way to enable WiFi?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    06-26-2014 02:26 AM
    Is there a way to enable WiFi?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    Once you get the update from Sprint it adds an icon in the app drawer and a button in the settings too, both go to the same settings page ultimately to check WiFi calling and locate the address your at for 911 purposes.
    06-26-2014 07:56 AM
    just received my 1st call with wifi calling on, beyond horrible. I could here caller with no trouble but caller could not hear me at all, this is worse then using the cell tower, ugh.
    06-26-2014 08:16 AM
    just received my 1st call with wifi calling on, beyond horrible. I could here caller with no trouble but caller could not hear me at all, this is worse then using the cell tower, ugh.
    Wondering if it was the speed of your network? I haven't had a call on WiFi yet, but I know my home network has a ton of devices connected, so I'm wondering if that has an effect? Guess it's good I mostly text.
    06-26-2014 08:28 AM
46 12