Background Data Disabled : Google Play Store Needs background data to be Enabled.

a_sensei

Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
Re: Block Background Data : Google Play Store Needs background data to be Enabled

Hello Tripod,

Thanks for your solution. I was a similar problem on my galaxy k-zoom. On a separate note, it is not intuitive to have "block background data" within a "power saving" mode option. Not sure why they made it so complicated. Anyways, your solution helped.

Thanks

Darren Kirsten

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
If you're having your background data on but it still says it's off, try this, go to settings, apps, Google play store, and press force stop and clear data then try to open play store again. :)

kkramy

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
Hey S5 forum, I have noticed an issue with the Galaxy S5 that apparently only occurs with the Verizon variant. I work for a place called Wireless Advocates, we are the cell phone kiosk inside of Costco. I'm asking about this because I've had three customers come in to ask about this background data issue.

I'm not sure what triggers this issue but when I try opening up google play I get the "Background Data Disabled : Google Play Store Needs background data to be Enabled" error. It then gives you the ability to either quit or enable the data. If you press enable it takes you to the account screen in settings.

When I go to Data usage the option to "restrict background data" is greyed out. You can't even select it and it isn't checkmarked either. Just to clarify, accessing the internet and other things on the phone work perfectly fine. It's just the use of Google Play that is having issues. I called Samsung customer care and they aren't aware of this issue at all. I'm not sure if Verizon know about it but I figured I'd ask here because maybe someone else has experienced this issue with their galaxy s5. Also note that force stopping google play, play services, removing the google accounts and adding them back and rebooting the phone haven't solved it. After the reboot the phone will appear fine and then a box that says "Restricting background data".

Thanks for reading and hopefully this issue can be resolved.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

kkramy

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
I too have the same above problem with my S4. It started when i started using Tata Docomo net service. Dont know what to do. They have even changed the zim card. Still the problem persist. " background data disabled problem"

Bill Davis3

Apr 20, 2015
Visit site
So the short story is we let Google use large amounts of data at our expense or we cannot access their store? Yeah, ok, keep it. The real issue on my phone is I blocked some of the features such as Google Books, Music, and the such as they are pulling data yet I don;t use them, then the phone has 'problems.' Sure looks like Google left the entire "Do no harm" motto at the door aye? Oh, don't get me started on VRBO. The best vacation website on the planet ruined by them as well. Why not just charge for some of your products instead of back dooring us?

Danica Le Fleur

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
Bill Davis3

that's why there's an option "UPDATE VIA WIFI ONLY."
your OS is developed by Google my friend, you need to update the applications. the update is there for a bug fix, not to deliberately upset you but to fix an issue that users encountered.
try to enjoy the device instead of looking for problems, my opinion-which I am entitled to- is you love to complain. I understand that android comes with a lot of bloat ware, unfortunately its something we have to put up with. if you not happy with a Google android device, buy an iPhone. I'm pretty sure you will complain less. although, bare in mind that iPhone comes with a lot of restrictions and u will not be able to customize your device the way you want to.

no offence intended.

Last edited:

Nijam_Rehan

May 26, 2015
Visit site
I also can't off background data on my Samsung Galaxg Grand Neo plus....
when i go to... settings>Data Ussage
Restricted background data optin is gone.....
what can i do now....
please help me
it also show that "Measured by your device.Your service provider may account for data usage differently"

GSystemsOnline

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
That is quite the suggestion! A year old, but matures nicely for me.

MacroDroid with manually restricting apps that clearly use more background data than foreground data would probably go a long way to saving data and battery...although, at that point, it would be entirely on the user to catch up with their notifications and such at their own pace.

My only issue with this would be my email (I sync four accounts to my phone), but, like most people, I randomly pull my phone out every so often anyway, so...

WHood1123

Jun 24, 2015
Visit site
Hey S5 forum, I have noticed an issue with the Galaxy S5 that apparently only occurs with the Verizon variant. I work for a place called Wireless Advocates, we are the cell phone kiosk inside of Costco. I'm asking about this because I've had three customers come in to ask about this background data issue.

I'm not sure what triggers this issue but when I try opening up google play I get the "Background Data Disabled : Google Play Store Needs background data to be Enabled" error. It then gives you the ability to either quit or enable the data. If you press enable it takes you to the account screen in settings.

When I go to Data usage the option to "restrict background data" is greyed out. You can't even select it and it isn't checkmarked either. Just to clarify, accessing the internet and other things on the phone work perfectly fine. It's just the use of Google Play that is having issues. I called Samsung customer care and they aren't aware of this issue at all. I'm not sure if Verizon know about it but I figured I'd ask here because maybe someone else has experienced this issue with their galaxy s5. Also note that force stopping google play, play services, removing the google accounts and adding them back and rebooting the phone haven't solved it. After the reboot the phone will appear fine and then a box that says "Restricting background data".

Thanks for reading and hopefully this issue can be resolved.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz