Should I upgrade my Droid Maxx?

trippinbillies40

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm up for my new-every-two and currently have a Droid Maxx. I've been a die-hard motorolla phone fan until this phone. It lags, lags, and lags some more. The battery life is great on it though.

Anyone suggest upgrading to the S5 or should I stick with this phone and wait for the S6?

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
You will find a lot of posts stating that the S5 has horrible lag.

Those posts are written by folks who think every thing they click on should happen "instantly". They don't have a clue as to what is going on behind the screen of the phone in their hand.

Adding a lot of "gee whiz" features has problems that will show up in slowness.
ie, the cutesy wallpapers take time to draw.

The transition effects from one screen to another screen takes a finite amount of time. If you want cutesy effects when that occurs, then you are going to experience a time lag. Turning OFF all of the background animations eliminates lag between screens. That is my choice, might not be your choice.

The "fastest wallpaper" is pure black. Why? because nothing has to be drawn on the screen. No mathematical algorithms going on to create those cutesy whirly birds, etc.... Just an instantaneous 'click' and it is black.

Background applications that are constantly polling their hosts to get updates will slow down the internet access which results in overall phone slowness. I choose to not have any background apps running period, my phone is fast because none of my apps can access the internet until I tell them to do so. I purposely turn OFF data/wifi when I'm not using my phone. You most likely won't, so YMMV with how fast your phone is compared to mine. And we will be using the same model S5.

Configuration is extremely important, and that means how you set up the OS to respond, and how many apps you install, and how those apps interact with the phone/internet.

So, read as much as you can on the forums, but in the end, any phone you choose can work well.

Just be sure you won't be experiencing "Buyer's Remorse".

I personally can only afford one phone every 2 or 3 years. Getting the next one is crucial for me, I only get one chance to "get it right".

so far, the S5 has been a "good phone". It could have been better though. I wish the Camera were "instantaneous" and ready for the next shot within 1/4 second of taking a shot. It isn't and it never will be, but it is "good enough". I choose to not get into a dither about it because we can't change it. We can choose to turn off features that add slowness, but that is the best we can do.

scallawag

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm up for my new-every-two and currently have a Droid Maxx. I've been a die-hard motorolla phone fan until this phone. It lags, lags, and lags some more. The battery life is great on it though.

Anyone suggest upgrading to the S5 or should I stick with this phone and wait for the S6?
I have a Moto Maxx Developers edition, S5 and S5 Developers edition. I have owned the HTC M8. I use the Maxx as my daily phone. The S5 may have more bells and whistles then the Maxx but it truly does not have the call reception, GPS reception or Assisted GPS reception as the Maxx. I am on Verizon and live in a rural area with poor reception. That said I think the S5 is a fine phone and the reception would not be an issue in most areas. I want to see the new Moto X +1 before I buy another phone. It may be the last Phone like the Moto line of X - Ultra - Maxx as Moto has been sold but the sale was not completed during the development of the Moto X +1.

I do like S5 very much or I would not have bought the Developers edition when I already had the Verizon model. Can't tell the difference now that every S5 can be rooted.

As far as lag...the S5 has more lag then the Maxx. I am using the Google Now Launcher on all my phones and it has really helped to eliminate the lag for me. I had to find the APK and side load it. (com.google.android.launcher-0.10.1.920880.apk) is the apk I used.
Nova Launcher will also help with lag.

Hope this helps

scallawag

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Since I use Nova Launcher Prime on my S5, I experience no lag and it is pretty quick and smooth. Battery life is GREAT.
Yes as I said Nova Launcher cuts down on the lag. I also use Nova Launcher Prime but google.android.launcher is what I mostly use and to me it seems even quicker. Ya gotta love Nova for its flexibility especially since it now supports "OK GOOGLE"!

1Coopgt

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
I'm with you . I came from the Razr MAXX myself. I've been using Moto phones for years also . I'm lovin the S5 so far. Personally I think the S5 is an ugly design though . But hey that's what cases are for . LOL . You'll like the S5 it's fast and the battery life is awesome for only being 2800mhz compared to the Maxx 3300 .

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I don't think I've every recommended the S series but there's always a first for everything and this is it. LOL

I love the S5 but if OP is not into Launchers I can't really comment on how TouchWiz performs. I also use Nova Prime and unlike the S3 & S4 this one performs very well, I even love that I can access "OK Google" without having the Google Search Bar on the home screen.

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site

I would definitely upgrade to the S5 if I were you. 2 things you will notice quickly...the Super AMOLED display on this thing is the best out there and the battery life is awesome....plus the battery recharges very fast.

scallawag

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I would definitely upgrade to the S5 if I were you. 2 things you will notice quickly...the Super AMOLED display on this thing is the best out there and the battery life is awesome....plus the battery recharges very fast.
Battery life is good but Moto Maxx is better. I have both.
The number one thing that I find much better is the camera and it has not been reviewed as a high point of the S5. With the better camera is where you notice the Super AMOLED display. The photos show beautifully. The screen is top of the line along with a few others. I have no complaint with the Moto Maxx screen but the S5 is better but I don't notice it day to day except using camera / Gallery apps.

covard

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I was just wondering if you are talking about the Motorola Droid Razr MAXX, or if you are talking about the newer Motorola Droid MAXX. (Wish I knew why they named the newer phone that way.)

If you are talking about the older Razr Maxx, then as a former owner/user of them, I would say "upgrade." My husband and I both had the Razr Maxx and both experienced the terrible degradation of the usability of the phone. Yes, we thought that we were Motorola fans, but maybe not.

I think that they major thing that I appreciate about the Galaxy S5 is the quad-core processor. Everything seems to be handled much better on the new S5. I can't imagine going back.

If you were talking about the newer Droid MAXX, then my experience is not valid.
Good luck.

scallawag

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I was just wondering if you are talking about the Motorola Droid Razr MAXX, or if you are talking about the newer Motorola Droid MAXX. (Wish I knew why they named the newer phone that way.)

If you are talking about the older Razr Maxx, then as a former owner/user of them, I would say "upgrade." My husband and I both had the Razr Maxx and both experienced the terrible degradation of the usability of the phone. Yes, we thought that we were Motorola fans, but maybe not.

I think that they major thing that I appreciate about the Galaxy S5 is the quad-core processor. Everything seems to be handled much better on the new S5. I can't imagine going back.

If you were talking about the newer Droid MAXX, then my experience is not valid.
Good luck.
My phone is a Droid MAXX Developers Edition made by Motorola. I have never owned any kind of Razr. The Droid Maxx is a newer phone than the Razr series.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech