720 vs 1080 shooting mode with the S5, file size and picture quality ????

Davyo

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
If kinda done some testing shooting in 720 vs 1080 and to my eyes I don't see a big difference when viewing the video's on my iPad or Galaxy Tab (getting a 10.5" Galaxy Tab S this weekend as well).

If Im just shooting video to view on my tablets what is really the difference with 720 vs 1080 ?

The 720 file size will be smaller and save storage space on my S5 and on my tablets,, not sure how big of a difference in file size though ?

720 is quicker to transfer video files via WiFi from my S5 to my tablets and quicker to edit as well it seems (editing done with iMovie),,,, so is there really and advantage shooting in 1080 vs 720 if its just video to be viewed on a tablet or uploaded to YouTube.

Opinions and thoughts welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Davyo

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
If kinda done some testing shooting in 720 vs 1080 and to my eyes I don't see a big difference when viewing the video's on my iPad or Galaxy Tab (getting a 10.5" Galaxy Tab S this weekend as well).

If Im just shooting video to view on my tablets what is really the difference with 720 vs 1080 ?

The 720 file size will be smaller and save storage space on my S5 and on my tablets,, not sure how big of a difference in file size though ?

720 is quicker to transfer video files via WiFi from my S5 to my tablets and quicker to edit as well it seems (editing done with iMovie),,,, so is there really and advantage shooting in 1080 vs 720 if its just video to be viewed on a tablet or uploaded to YouTube.

Opinions and thoughts welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Davyo

720p is rather bare. And it tends to use substantially less data. There is no margin left to zoom or crop. My Flex has a similar camera and CPU setup, I mainly use UHD for anything brief that will be zoomed in or edited on a computer. I about never use 1080p 60fps. I use regular 1080p for almost anything longer than a couple minutes, anything that will only be edited in the on-device studio, and most things that will be uploaded without editing.

I have only used 720p once on my device and I felt that too much detail was lost. My phone has a 6", 720p screen. It's got 32GB storage and if I clean it out before a trip, roughly 20GB of space for recording. This equates to thousands of full quality pictures, tens of hours of 720p video, several hours of 1080p video, or as little as less than an hour of UHD.

For my time and effort, 9 times out of ten I will go 1080p or higher. 2 times out of ten I will go UHD. For very rare long recordings I will settle for 720p if I have no other devices with me.

File transer and times are much faster for low rez because the data size is much less. Editing times are much faster because 1) the editing software is poor and 2) there are HALF as many pixels to analyze in each frame being recoded. It may look okay to you but upload some 720p and 1080p samples for your intended viewers to compare. I bet you they will ask for more 1080p if you have the time and patience to do it!