How to Prevent Email Addresses from Being Selected for Text Messages

OnePalmAddict

Addicted 2 Mobile Gadgets
Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Recently noticed something that I don't think I ever had a problem with prior to getting my S5 a couple months ago...not sure if it's related to the device, the app, or Android itself: Using the stock Messages app, whenever I select a pre-defined group to which I want to send a text message (I do this frequently for work), I find that many of the people in the group have their emails selected rather than their mobile numbers. For a while, I couldn't figure out why certain people weren't getting messages when it appeared as if I sent one to them. The problem is, now that I've discovered this, the only way to catch it and fix it is to tap on each group recipient individually to see what contact number/email was selected, then delete the name from the message recipients and re-enter it manually in order to choose the mobile number.

At times I have been prompted by the system upon selecting names to choose which number/email to use and to check a box to "Remember this choice." Yet I am certain I would never have selected a person's email and indicated I wanted that choice saved. But even if I did, how do I change this setting? (BTW, this seems to happen regardless of whether or not a person's contact has a default number chosen or not.)

I also seem to recall on some previous devices and/or versions of Android a setting in the messaging app to allow or not allow texts to be sent to emails. I also seem to recall past devices/texting apps selecting by default a person's mobile number and not even showing other numbers or emails.

So how do I ensure that only mobile numbers are used when text messaging...and how do I fix the current problem of the app frequently choosing many people's emails when I choose a pre-defined group to message?

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech