Unlocking a samsung galaxy s5 verizon

kdupreez

Oct 27, 2016
Visit site
EDIT - Turns out, the phone IS actually unlocked.. it just pops up this very annoying message every time..

Screenshot_2016-10-27-11-37-32.jpg

Last edited:

Barry Friedman

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
Yep... just popped in the AT&T Sim Card. Annoying message and VERIZON splash screen on start up, but the phone worked straight up - no problem. Mine, FYI, is a Galaxy S5.

Robert Chu1

Jan 16, 2017
Visit site
As of this current moment I am holding a Samsung S5-GM-900V phone that does exactly what the poster says. The only reason I stumbled upon this forum is because my phone is locked. Currently has sim card from Mexico and displays them message mentioned above. NOT BULL**** AT ALL! ;)

Cherrli

Jan 25, 2017
Visit site
I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 and switched from Verizon to T-Moble, but don't get internet service! T-Moble says Verizon has to unlock my phone, Verizon says it can't unlock my phone! I have a T-Moble SIM card in it and get the same message you get. Any clue on how to fix?

timnancyk

Jan 25, 2017
Visit site
You will need to add T-Mobiles APN into your phone settings and turn off Verizons. Go to Settings > More Networks > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names (APNs) and add a new one by hitting the "+" and call it T-Mobile. Use T-Mobiles APN settings here: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-28474

Once you do this, you will be able to use your data to go online, otherwise you're stuck using WiFi.

I went into an AT&T store and watched the tech guy do this to my Verizon phone so that it will work with AT&T. Just added AT&Ts APN and I was good.

Hope this helps.

timnancyk

Jan 25, 2017
Visit site
You are correct. I have a Galaxy S5 from Verizon that was given to me and all I had to do is pop in my AT&T SIM card and add AT&Ts APN data settings and the phone is good. Yes, you get the annoying "SIM card is not from Verizon" notification. Not sure how to get rid of that.

On another note, how do I now get a software update? When I try to do this, it try's to connect to Verizon to get the software update and fails.

timnancyk

Jan 25, 2017
Visit site
How do you do a Software Update?

I have a Verizon S5 and use it with AT&T using the same APN settings but phone try's to connect to Verizon when trying to do a Software Update.

Any ideas?

whocares17

Nov 14, 2017
Visit site
Your post is BS because Verizon 4g phones are never locked due to an agreement with the FCC. I have a Verizon note 4 and I use it on T-Mobile. I also get the Sim card is not from Verizon message but the phone still works.

Um not true I have Verizon Galaxy S5 which is 4GLTE wont work with my net zero sim

Srizvi1

Apr 29, 2017
Visit site
EDIT - Turns out, the phone IS actually unlocked.. it just pops up this very annoying message every time..

View attachment 243996

Oh wow, I kept calling Verizon and complaining, telling them that my old S5 is locked even though they were telling me that it's unlocked. Then I came across this post.

I went through the setup with the t-mobile sim in there and sure enough it worked. As soon as I got through, I saw the text messages that were sent to that SIM while I was activating the line. Then I called t-mobile and the tech support walked me through all the settings to input so I can use the internet.

The only thing bugging me is that the updates to the phone weren't automatically sent over the air. I activated this other t-mobile line and setup this old S5 for my mom who's traveling overseas tomorrow. Hopefully nothing gets thrown out of whack as she lands in different countries. I'm hoping she won't need to deal with getting local sims where she is since T-mobile allows international roaming (just on 2g).

Last edited:

CuriousMe6987

Feb 28, 2018
Visit site
I have a S5 SM-G900V. I don't currently have a contract with Verizon (I'm month-to-month prepaid) and I bought the phone outright in the beginning.

I'm going to southern Africa with the Peace Corps for two years and would love to just use this phone there. From what I'm reading here, I should be able to just put in a SIM from the carrier there?

Thanks in advance!

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
I have a S5 SM-G900V. I don't currently have a contract with Verizon (I'm month-to-month prepaid) and I bought the phone outright in the beginning.

I'm going to southern Africa with the Peace Corps for two years and would love to just use this phone there. From what I'm reading here, I should be able to just put in a SIM from the carrier there?

Thanks in advance!

The Galaxy S5 carrier model for Verizon is based on their old CDMA network and U.S. 4G/LTE bands which are not generally compatible with the rest of the world on GSM. Therefore, you will probably find that it is not able to function fully on the majority of networks worldwide. See... https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowT...zon_CDMA_phone_work-Kruger_National_Park.html. Give Verizon a call and seek their opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12