Anti Virus. Do I need it?

S5_GJH

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
I currently have AVG.

I like the widget, the data tracker etc but do I really need to have it running all the time?

I read conflicting things on the Internet. Some say yes, some say no.

Posted via Android Central App

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
No, you don't need it...it's a battery drain and causes lag. You don't need any of the things we put on our phones in the past, app killer, spam killer, anti virus, ram boosters etc

thatguy97

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
No, you don't need it...it's a battery drain and causes lag. You don't need any of the things we put on our phones in the past, app killer, spam killer, anti virus, ram boosters etc

This it isn't the days of gingerbread anymore

Posted from my Nexus 7 2013 running Android L or Samsung galaxy S5

S5_GJH

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Uninstalled. Thanks for your help.

Now I need a little widget that tells me my data usage!

Posted via Android Central App

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
You are going to get all kinds of answers and this thread is going to get long.. lol. My answer is NO. There is no real threat of a virus for Android. So long as you only download apps from known and reputable sources like Google Play and Amazon you will be ok.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5

IBMJunkman

May 10, 2014
Visit site
I run Eset on my home PC so I got it for the S5. I know it scans the downloads and updates I get. But that is not the only place for bad things. Many web site are mobil aware and a bad link from them could be a problem. I would also rather be safe than sorry.

theonlybuster

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Just like with computers, if you pay attention to what you're installing and web pages you're checking out, you don't at all need and Anti-Virus. If you question yourself install an AV, but set it to simple daily or semi-daily scans instead of active monitoring.
Of course if you have kids or play games often, it's in your best interest to have an active monitoring AV installed.

But ultimately, and take no offense in this, Anti-Virus software is primarily for those who basically wildly click around online and go to questionable sites.

jmagid51

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
I use Lookout. It seems to do a good job and to be honest I'd rather be safe then sorry. Lookout take no real effort to use and doesn't seem to have any significant impact on the battery.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AC Forums mobile app

troshs

Trusted Member
Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I use Lookout not for the virus features but for the fact that if my phone gets stolen it will take a picture if the phone is shut off and will also send me the location. More to protect from magnet handed idiots than Internet threats.

Boom! From My S5

teristark

May 27, 2014
Visit site
I use Lookout not for the virus features but for the fact that if my phone gets stolen it will take a picture if the phone is shut off and will also send me the location. More to protect from magnet handed idiots than Internet threats.

Boom! From My S5

Same here.

theonlybuster

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site

Boom! From My S5
If you already haven't, I HIGHLY recommend you give this a test just to make sure it's set up and works as it should. I can't tell you the number of times I hear people say "I installed [Location App Here] and when I lost my phone it didn't tell me its location like it was supposed to" and it's because the user didn't correctly configure AND test.

I personally test mine out every couple weeks. The only is when you simply remove the battery, the phone doesn't have a chance to toss up a "flare"

troshs

Trusted Member
Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
It sent me an email when I pulled my battery the other day and every time I do, the location is dead on.
Also sends me a picture of the last thing it saw.

TimmyTwo2

May 19, 2011
Visit site

Boom! From My S5

My Sprint S5 came preloaded with Lookout, I have mine hooked into my fingerprint scanner, so if I have issues scanning my finger 5 times, it e-mails a picture from the front camera and a GPS location. I get it about once a day from issues I have with how I scan my finger, however I leave it on for the pure safety of it in case someone does try unlocking my phone.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
To answer the OP.

Do you like to click on links and random things no matter who sent it to you?

Are you the type of person to ignore the voice in the back of your head yelling at you to stop?

Do you look at Piracy websites?

Do you believe everything you read on the internet?

If you answer yes to any of these questions, I highly recommend you get an antivirus.

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
There are some people who think Android is like the Wild West. They think the sheriff, Google, is out-of-town and everyone is free to do as they please. This is obviously not true. Google has advanced security tools with many layers of protection. The 0.001% of apps that do make it pass Google’s security have to make it through 7 layers of security. If the user doesn’t have unknown sources enabled, like most average users don’t, the app won’t even make it past the second level. Android is not the wild west, but it’s not Apple’s walled garden either. Google will let anyone upload an app to the Play Store, but that doesn’t mean they will let it infect your device. They have your back. All of this fear mongering around Android malware has created opportunities to make some easy money. A lot of people are more than willing to shell out a few bucks if they think it will protect them. There are some really nice security apps available, but most of the ones that cost money aren't worth it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech