Anyone change their Runtime?

chefmorry

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone gone into Developer Options and ch angel their Runtime System to ART yet?

After reading all about Android L, I'm curious if switching to ART might change anything on our S5's.

Posted via Android Central App

troshs

Trusted Member
Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I did once, about a month ago. Everything crashed. My phone was basically unusable. Some people have done it with no problems, but not me. I guess it has to do with everyone's specific set up.

Boom! From My S5

atishc

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
When I first got the phone, it seemed to run a bit faster and have a better battery life with ART. A couple firmware updates and many app updates later, the phone runs quite smoothly on Dalvik and I notice no difference with ART. ART also seems to cause problems with the camera app (among others) and won't let you do firmware updates. That being said, switching back and forth between the two is a nice way to reconfigure your apps if anything is causing strange behavior without a factory reset (for example, it fixed my problem with the phone dialpad not working with menus.)

Has anyone gone into Developer Options and ch angel their Runtime System to ART yet?

After reading all about Android L, I'm curious if switching to ART might change anything on our S5's.

Posted via Android Central App

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
I tried and it was a no go for me. Some people report that they are running ART with no issue(s). Good for them, but for some it's not quite prime time.

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
I guess my feeling is "...if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Plus when we're upgraded to Android L we'll get ART anyway. Hopefully by then all the kinks will be worked out.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I don't even know what it is but only changed it out of boredom and curiosity. LOL

Battery and Performance definitely improved with no issues whatsoever. I have the Bell SM-G900W8.

Pro S5

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney