Battery life just took a nose dive

Still Mostly Harmless

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
I have had my S5 for probably 2-3 months now and was averaging a little over a day and a half in battery life. Lately I have been luck to get 12-16 hours. I haven't changed anything on the phone. Battery info shows nothing of interest. Any ideas?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It would still help to see your battery stats--the main screen, the fullscreen graph (to see how your cell signal has been in general and how often the phone is awake), the Screen category (to see total screen-on time), and the Cell Standby category (to see Time without Signal).

Another thing to try would be to unmount and remove your microSD card, in case a file got corrupted.

Still Mostly Harmless

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Thanks diddy will try the SD card trick, I want to format it soon anyway.

Posted via Android Central App

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-07-09-13-52-38.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-07-09-13-52-38.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 57

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Something is keeping your phone constantly awake, as you can see by that solid blue bar, even though the screen is only intermittently on. That's probably the reason for the battery drain. It can be hard to pinpoint the problem, though, since apps can't show wakelocks any more unless the phone is rooted. A corrupt SD could still be the problem, since the system might be keeping the phone awake while it tries to scan the files in that card, constantly getting hung up on the corrupt file.

sirmaru

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Sometimes apps go wild after a new upgrade. When you are sleeping overnight, use two fingers to down sweep from the top and turn on Ultra Power Savings.

Rogue apps will be shut down and hopefully will not turn back on in the morning.

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Should I look into starting fresh with my phone? Just format it all and go from there?

Probably not necessary to do that. Looks like you did a restart, then started charging. At that point there was a break in the awake time. Looks like that stopped whatever was going on. More than likely it was just an app gone wild. Could have been a syncing issue too, that happens sometimes with different accounts if they hang up while trying to sync data. Just keep a watch for to happen again. Hopefully it won't and you'll be good from now on, if it does happen again then maybe you will need to take more action at that time.

Still Mostly Harmless

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Update:

I went ahead and did a fresh install on my phone. Solved the problem for a while but eventually the same issue came up.

So to be clear, the above screen shot shows my phone constantly awake with and something taxing wifi. The problem being is that my wifi was off during that time. So I went hunting to see what I could find that would keep the wifi on even thought it was off. Long story short:

settings->wifi->advance-> unchecked "Always allow scanning"

The description reads "Let Google Location Service and other applications scan for Wi-Fi networks, even when Wi-Fi is off.

Once I unchecked that my issue went away. I am not sure which app was using that service but I don't believe I have any need for it to be on.

anon(749368)

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
The "always scanning" feature helps in the "low power location services" . It's things like Google + friends locator and Google now for events nearby or parking spot. I keep it on because I'm a Google Now crazy person but I wonder what would happen to my battery life if I keep it off for a day...

Posted via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12