Using Goggle Now or S-Voice on a Locked Phone

gnolte

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
Hi – Nubie to Android; former multi-year iPhone user

I recently switched from an iPhone to a Samsung Galaxy S5 Active on the AT&T network. I like the flexibility and the ability to customize just about anything. There are a few irritations that are acceptable, however, I have one problem that may be a deal breaker. I often have long drives for work and during those drives, conduct business using text and calls via a Bluetooth headset. With the iPhone, while locked, I can send and read text messages, and make calls using the infamous Siri app.
With the S5, with the screen locked, I cannot send a text. Upon activating the phone from the headset, I get the prompt “Say ‘Call’ followed by a name or number”. I originally thought this was S-Voice so I turned off S-Voice using the application manager, but the prompt still exist.
Is there a way, in the S5 Active, to use the Google Now app or even the S-Voice app while the phone is locked (without having to jailbreak the phone?)

LarryBauer

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Iduno if your ATT carrier supplies it or if it is part of the Samsung apps. My Verizon has a nice interface for this problem. From the home screen, swipe down from the top. To the right of the gear is a multi window icon. Open it and find Car Mode. If it is not there, you may need to edit this pane by selecting the pencil at the top. This mode allows simple phone calls, text msgs (read to you, and speech to text sending). I believe it keeps the phone unlocked while plugged in.

Hope this helps,
-LarryB

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante