Apex vs Nova

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm really happy with switching to Nova Prime. It really is a lot more polished and it seems snappier than Apex. There are many more customizations available with Nova than with Apex. $4.00 very well spent!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5

Could you please describe some of the things Nova can do that Apex can't? Thanks.

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Could you please describe some of the things Nova can do that Apex can't? Thanks.

To start with...one cool feature is that after downloading and installing Nova...you are able to bring all your settings from Apex to Nova. You don't have to start from scratch and arrange your apps on each page. There are a lot more customization options than with Apex. Nova is smoother than Apex. I know everything I stated is pretty broad, but download the free version and give it a try....I think you would definitely buy the Prime version. I used Apex for 3 years before switching to Nova last night.

Here is a link to check out:

http://www.androidcentral.com/nova-launcher-prime-android-app-review

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Oh thanks! That was one reason I was hesitating trying it, the thought of setting everything up all over again. :)
Very cool that they keep your settings!

bIOforger

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
One thing i believe APEX can't do is Nova can create shortcut actions on swiping any icon OR folder upwards. This is brilliant, for example my dialer icon if i tap it opens the dialer keypad as normal, if i swipe the same icon up i've got it setup to launch my contacts. I have a similar thing for email and SMS, tap them they open as normal, swipe them up they open up a new message. You can set it up to launch anything pretty much. A simple idea yet so convenient.

You can also backup the backup settings to Dropbox and a like so you can do versioning and then you can choose different layouts for different days :)

Last edited:

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Oh thanks! That was one reason I was hesitating trying it, the thought of setting everything up all over again. :)
Very cool that they keep your settings!

I was hesitant to switch because of the thought of having to go in and set everything up the way I wanted. Than after reading about Nova in other posts I decidedit wwould be worth it. I was very pleasantly surprised when I saw that I could port my settings over from Apex to Nova. I think you will be happy with Nova if you give it a try.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I was hesitant to switch because of the thought of having to go in and set everything up the way I wanted. Than after reading about Nova in other posts I decidedit wwould be worth it. I was very pleasantly surprised when I saw that I could port my settings over from Apex to Nova. I think you will be happy with Nova if you give it a try.

Thanks! I'm curious so I'll probably try it now. :)

dc9super80

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I use Nova Prime. I hear APEX is very similar, but I have had no reason to make an additional investment. Nova is very fast, and quite customizable.

PainFX

May 2, 2014
Visit site
One thing i believe APEX can't do is Nova can create shortcut actions on swiping any icon OR folder upwards. This is brilliant, for example my dialer icon if i tap it opens the dialer keypad as normal, if i swipe the same icon up i've got it setup to launch my contacts. I have a similar thing for email and SMS, tap them they open as normal, swipe them up they open up a new message. You can set it up to launch anything pretty much. A simple idea yet so convenient.

You can also backup the backup settings to Dropbox and a like so you can do versioning and then you can choose different layouts for different days :)

If you are talking about to control an icon to open another app by swiping up, it is possible on APex

PainFX

May 2, 2014
Visit site
I'm really happy with switching to Nova Prime. It really is a lot more polished and it seems snappier than Apex. There are many more customizations available with Nova than with Apex. $4.00 very well spent!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5

Greg, you were the reason why I chose Apex Launcher lol. What made you wanna switch?

I've tried Nova launcher before Apex. The graphics are not bold as Apex I notice. That's at default setting. My wallpaper becomes slightly dull.

I will admit that Nova launcher is slightly faster if I set it as no animation.

Did you turn off animation in Nova or are you using Nova's animation?

Amia BooMaster

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
I use nova prime because it has every feature I could want in a non gimmicky launcher. Although if we're comparing free ones I believe Apex has more features in the free version.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PainFX

May 2, 2014
Visit site
I use nova prime because it has every feature I could want in a non gimmicky launcher. Although if we're comparing free ones I believe Apex has more features in the free version.

This is the reason why I chose apex in the first place. But I would like to know Apex pro vs Nova Prime.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is the reason why I chose apex in the first place. But I would like to know Apex pro vs Nova Prime.

yyyy2999

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Nova is far more customizable especially with colors, you can pretty much change the color for everything including fonts, app drawer tabs, folders, ect. You can set custom colors too, not just pre selected ones. Apex locks you to one "Theme" color only, and they only come with icon packs in the play store

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Nova is far more customizable especially with colors, you can pretty much change the color for everything including fonts, app drawer tabs, folders, ect. You can set custom colors too, not just pre selected ones. Apex locks you to one "Theme" color only, and they only come with icon packs in the play store

I wouldn't say it's "far more customizable." I think they are pretty much identical feature wise. I was using Nova for about a year and switched to Apex yesterday to try it out. It's awesome that they are similar enough that they will transfer your settings when switching between them.

The reason I switched was in hopes of fixing this bull**** freezing issue that's going on with kitkat. My s4 was doing it, now my brand new s5 does the same thing. Totally ridiculous. I also read that the developer for Nova is going to stop supporting his apps so it's going to die out.

For now, you can't go wrong with either launcher but I fear going forward, Nova will become obsolete.

Posted via Android Central App

yyyy2999

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Abosworth007

I never had and freezing issues with nova, I also have an s5. The only reason I tried apex is because my favorite weather widget, yahoo weather, doesn't load properly, works once in a while.

I tried apex and immediately switched back to Nova, now I use dash clock and i'm satisfied so far.

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Abosworth007

I never had and freezing issues with nova, I also have an s5. The only reason I tried apex is because my favorite weather widget, yahoo weather, doesn't load properly, works once in a while.

I tried apex and immediately switched back to Nova, now I use dash clock and i'm satisfied so far.

Yeah I realized it wasn't Nova causing the freezing as I got the same issue in Apex. It's a kitkat issue and happens under heavier use like having a lot of apps open. I just switched back to Nova again. Lol. There are a few aesthetic things I like better about Apex but they really are almost identical. I had a few more hoops to jump through with Apex regarding getting unread counts to work properly with Aquamail but it is a great launcher.

I can't wait until they fix the crap kitkat mess. There are so many complaints with it it's not even funny. Samsung needs to address the issue and get an update out ASAP.

PainFX

May 2, 2014
Visit site
I wouldn't say it's "far more customizable." I think they are pretty much identical feature wise. I was using Nova for about a year and switched to Apex yesterday to try it out. It's awesome that they are similar enough that they will transfer your settings when switching between them.

The reason I switched was in hopes of fixing this bull**** freezing issue that's going on with kitkat. My s4 was doing it, now my brand new s5 does the same thing. Totally ridiculous. I also read that the developer for Nova is going to stop supporting his apps so it's going to die out.

For now, you can't go wrong with either launcher but I fear going forward, Nova will become obsolete.

Can you share where you got the info regarding Nova is gonna become obsolete?

PainFX

May 2, 2014
Visit site
Abosworth007

yahoo weather doesn't load on nova?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12