Jumping ship to LG G3?

robstunner

Android Connoisseur
Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I did. And switched back the next day.

Posted via Android Central App
Lol ditto, but I exchanged for an active. G3 is the poster child for "specs aren't everything"

Lackluster ui that lags with its 3gb ram, worse screen on every way possible other than resolution, no ip67 that I like and worse battery.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

67srbell

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
I vote 'no' as well.

LG always just seems to be a Samsung copy-cat and just one step behind. Additionally, LG's proprietary software/skins are awful (ex. Have you ever heard their god-awful alarm ring tones?)

Furthermore, by going to LG, you lose ip67 and smart watch (I use the Gear Fit and like how light it is) compatability.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AC Forums mobile app

icouldntpossiblycomment

May 5, 2014
Visit site
Nope. I really like the S5. If I were to switch to another Android right now it'd probably be the Note 4 when it comes out. I tend to stay with one device for at least one year (before my S5, I was using an iPhone 4!) though.

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Lol ditto, but I exchanged for an active. G3 is the poster child for "specs aren't everything"

Lackluster ui that lags with its 3gb ram, worse screen on every way possible other than resolution, no ip67 that I like and worse battery.

My home screens kept refreshing everytime I closed an app which was annoying and not acceptable for a 2014 flagship phone.

Posted from my S5

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
To anyone considering the G3 I have one suggestion. Look at the two phone screens side by side. Forget specs or anything else. Just lay them down on a flat surface and look. Now move your head off axis to the left and then the right. Now look at the screens.

I think your decision will be made at this point.

Game, set, match.

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Coming from the Note 3 I looked at both devices and as far as the screens go it's not a big deal for me! I picked up the G3 and so far I am really impressed with how well it operates all in all. The camera is similar to what Samsung has going there is not much of a difference between them in my opinion.

I like the different UI that LG has compared to what Samsung has, it is smoother no real lag. One issue that bothered me was the charger port door that everyone is complaining about, while I was picking up my G3 another person was in the store trying to get a replacement for a 10 day old S5 due to a broken door he was denied and was told to call Samsung.

The G3 just seems to be a breath of fresh air for me and if it follows the G2's ratings it should be a winner. Don't get me wrong Samsung makes a nice device but for me at this point the G3 is the one!

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
Wow, you can really tell your on a S5 thread. Had the note 3 and loved it, got bored, got the S5 and hated it. I don't understand how people think this phone is for heavy users. Yes the battery life was great, not compared to the Note 3 though. The note series is a workhouse undoubtedly. The S5 had way too many hiccups for my liking, super laggy. I am a very heavy user. I used the S5 as my daily driver for work and personal use and it did not perform. Switched to an M8 and it made a world of difference(UI snappiness). The note series seems to run touchwiz effortlessly, the S series not so much. The heart rate minitor was not practical and the finger print sensor was OK. I got it to work ok by using the same finger print for three i.d's. Compared to the 5s its gimmicky. The water resistance was really nice though. Sticking to the thread...

I've said it once and i'll say it again, I'm a glutton for the latest and after hogging the G3 at the ATT store I will be swapping out the M8 for it. I found the lag on the S5 to be much greater than that which is found on the G3. The form factor is the best, hands down.

Note 4 should be fantastic but then again so should the galaxy Alpha, iphone 6, Nexus 6, Moto x+1....

If your looking for the best phone right now, I would say Jump ship and snag a G3. However, as its always stated it depends on what makes you happy.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
The G3 also comes with 3gb ram and 32 gigs. Its a very well made device! If you're happy with your S5, thats great! If you're unhappy, give the G3 a shot.

Neibl

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Undecided, I love the design and feel of the device and also the possibility of having QI wireless on AT&T with the proper back cover, but I feel as if 5.5 inches my be too wide/large for my blood. Holding the device in the store the other day I found it difficult to hit the home button and complete basic android tasks with one hand. I don't mind having large two handed device, but it needs to retain a certain level of one handed use such as walking and reading an RSS reader or making a quick dial call and switching between tasks.

My lumia 920 is 4.5 inchs and is easily a one handed device even though it weighs more and its thicker just because it's not as wide. The LG G3 is fantastic though, and very sexy. I dont care if it's plastic, I think the finish they choose looks and feels great, just wish it was a 5 inch 1080p display. Would have been a mainstream monster. Well see though I forsee all the major companies going this route.

If the moto X2 isn't impressive i'm on board.

sdsubball23

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
To anyone considering the G3 I have one suggestion. Look at the two phone screens side by side. Forget specs or anything else. Just lay them down on a flat surface and look. Now move your head off axis to the left and then the right. Now look at the screens.

Game, set, match.

What does this test do as far as which screen we would decide is better after doing what you said?

Sent from my SM-G900V using AC Forums mobile app

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
What does this test do as far as which screen we would decide is better after doing what you said?

Sent from my SM-G900V using AC Forums mobile app
My point is that side by side, the S5 screen is quite noticably brighter, more contrasty and simply more vivid. The G3 screen is washed out and dull looking in comparison. And the differences become even more magnified when you move your eyes even the slightest degree off axis with the G3. The S5 screen looks essentially the same from any viewing angle.

independentvolume

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
My point is that side by side, the S5 screen is quite noticably brighter, more contrasty and simply more vivid. The G3 screen is washed out and dull looking in comparison. And the differences become even more magnified when you move your eyes even the slightest degree off axis with the G3. The S5 screen looks essentially the same from any viewing angle.

Also, because of the button setups, they have about the same usable screen real estate most of the time.

HAWK

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
It all boils down to what system and ui you enjoy using. To be honest I would never get rid of my galaxy s5 for a nicer looking screen that's just asinine. I would however get rid of my galaxy for a phone that offers more in terms of software.

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I'll stay with the S5 because of the camera. The camera is the best one at the moment bar none. Also I have invested alot of time getting the S5 to do what I want. That being said I would like to see each side by side for a comparison.

Camera is very decent in good light outdoors but nowhere near the best and certainly not in low light.

And also I'm a heavy user. My s5 will last me about 18 hrs and 5 hours or more of screen on time. The g3 in my opinion just wasn't up to snuff for a heavy user. But on the other hand some people report great battery life. I just wasn't one of them.

Posted via Android Central App

5+ hours on the S5 is very respectable, and what I figured it should be capable of. Many of the flagships can do it but yes the G3 seems to have trouble getting there.

Mostly agree, I do not much enjoy their new interface and some useful settings have vanished.

I vote 'no' as well.

LG always just seems to be a Samsung copy-cat and just one step behind. Additionally, LG's proprietary software/skins are awful (ex. Have you ever heard their god-awful alarm ring tones?)

Furthermore, by going to LG, you lose ip67 and smart watch (I use the Gear Fit and like how light it is) compatability.

LG is in fact innovating, especially with size and weight and trying out new button and camera setups. Some of their skins and sounds are bad, but Samsung also is bonkers on this front. 25 'alarm' tones on my tablet and not one was ALARMING. My LG Flex has about five good alarm tones and a bunch of junk including boys' choir remixes that I could do without. I call it a wash.

Compatibility is important but I have not seen a compelling accessory yet in this generation. From anyone. Probably two years away from it yet.

Game, set, match.

That's how I decided to keep my Flex, partly. Subjective feel is super important to each buyer, never just believe the salesperson.

Coming from the Note 3 I looked at both devices and as far as the screens go it's not a big deal for me! I picked up the G3 and so far I am really impressed with how well it operates all in all. The camera is similar to what Samsung has going there is not much of a difference between them in my opinion.

I like the different UI that LG has compared to what Samsung has, it is smoother no real lag. One issue that bothered me was the charger port door that everyone is complaining about, while I was picking up my G3 another person was in the store trying to get a replacement for a 10 day old S5 due to a broken door he was denied and was told to call Samsung.

The G3 just seems to be a breath of fresh air for me and if it follows the G2's ratings it should be a winner. Don't get me wrong Samsung makes a nice device but for me at this point the G3 is the one!

The G2 is solid, updates improved it, there are much less cracked screen reports now and several places are giving it away free on contract. It's great competition against its new sibling.

Wow, you can really tell your on a S5 thread. Had the note 3 and loved it, got bored, got the S5 and hated it. I don't understand how people think this phone is for heavy users. Yes the battery life was great, not compared to the Note 3 though. The note series is a workhouse undoubtedly. The S5 had way too many hiccups for my liking, super laggy. I am a very heavy user. I used the S5 as my daily driver for work and personal use and it did not perform. Switched to an M8 and it made a world of difference(UI snappiness). The note series seems to run touchwiz effortlessly, the S series not so much. The heart rate minitor was not practical and the finger print sensor was OK. I got it to work ok by using the same finger print for three i.d's. Compared to the 5s its gimmicky. The water resistance was really nice though. Sticking to the thread...

I've said it once and i'll say it again, I'm a glutton for the latest and after hogging the G3 at the ATT store I will be swapping out the M8 for it. I found the lag on the S5 to be much greater than that which is found on the G3. The form factor is the best, hands down.

Note 4 should be fantastic but then again so should the galaxy Alpha, iphone 6, Nexus 6, Moto x+1....

If your looking for the best phone right now, I would say Jump ship and snag a G3. However, as its always stated it depends on what makes you happy.

Thanks for being balanced and on topic, I look forward to seeing what you say on the G3 in a couple weeks. Good luck!

Undecided, I love the design and feel of the device and also the possibility of having QI wireless on AT&T with the proper back cover, but I feel as if 5.5 inches my be too wide/large for my blood. Holding the device in the store the other day I found it difficult to hit the home button and complete basic android tasks with one hand. I don't mind having large two handed device, but it needs to retain a certain level of one handed use such as walking and reading an RSS reader or making a quick dial call and switching between tasks.

My lumia 920 is 4.5 inchs and is easily a one handed device even though it weighs more and its thicker just because it's not as wide. The LG G3 is fantastic though, and very sexy. I dont care if it's plastic, I think the finish they choose looks and feels great, just wish it was a 5 inch 1080p display. Would have been a mainstream monster. Well see though I forsee all the major companies going this route.

If the moto X2 isn't impressive i'm on board.

I heard ATT sabotaged QI and people claimed the third party clips did not work...?

Different screen technology after all. I like the G3 sharpness specifically when reviewing photos, otherwise seems pedestrian and hardly different from 1080p. Strongly dislike the S5's busted color palettes and super saturation. It's like aspartame for the eyes.

Also, because of the button setups, they have about the same usable screen real estate most of the time.

LG in 4.4 has the fullscreen fix implemented. If an app tries to hide the status bar it will also hide the softkeys. You can swipe from the top at any time to summon them, but it does allow the full area to be used and avoids accidentally going Home while playing a game in landscape view.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca